Author Topic: Does anybody make a NG hot water heater that just doesn't suck?  (Read 3507 times)

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Does anybody make a NG hot water heater that just doesn't suck?
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »
Our house originally had two Rheem 40 gallon hot water heaters.
Replaced when they were about 21 years old (one started leaking) with a single A.O. Smith 40-gallon unit

6-year warranty.  Expired in April.

Now the pilot light doesn't want to stay lit.

Cleaned the FVIR filter thoroughly with brush and vacuum last night, thought we had it fixed when the pilot was still on this morning.

Got home from work:  No pilot   [ar15]

I don't mind replacing the darned thing, but every review I've looked at for Rheem, A. O. Smith, Whirlpool, GE, Bradford White, Kenmore, etc... have more complaints than praise.
Gas valves, electronics, thermistor, you name it......

Any suggestions for a good solid standard 40 gallon heater??
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Does anybody make a NG hot water heater that just doesn't suck?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 06:28:03 PM »
thermocouple/microvolt generator?
  i have a rudd powervent propane unit 17 years old 10 of those with awful water that won't die
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
Have you thought about a tankless NG water heater?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

erik the bold

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »
For our usage, being only three of us, the payback on a tank-less heater isn't worth it.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 07:15:10 PM »
I didn't know anything had a pilot light anymore  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 07:30:07 PM »
For our usage, being only three of us, the payback on a tank-less heater isn't worth it.

Well you could always go for a commercial water heater, then a residential tankless one will be cheaper.

Tankless ones seems to about 50% more in cost new compared to a tank one. If you are having to replace your water heater fairly often, it may work out faster then you think.

Have you thought about a filter for the input to your water heater or getting a water heater with a sacrificial anode.

Uranus is a gas giant.

erik the bold

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 08:09:06 PM »
Water filter or anode isn't the problem.

It's the damn FVIR filter in the bottom of all the new ones.

If it's not perfectly clean, the thermocouple overheats and shuts off the pilot gas supply.

BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 08:26:18 PM »
An interesting thread...

http://www.thetankatwaterheaterrescue.com/forums/forum3/2679.html

Personally I've got mixed feelings on the tankless units (yes I have had them before). It was nice to be able to take an endless hot shower but it did take a while to get the hot water to the tap once you turned it on the first time. Also increased cost as noted. Dunno if I would install one I was paying for myself...

Federal .gov strikes again to *expletive deleted*ck up formerly reliable appliances...

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:30:53 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 08:30:03 PM »
Does anybody make a NG hot water heater that just doesn't suck?

No.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 03:52:45 AM »
<irrelevant aside>
The first house we owned had a separate hot water heater going into a tank by convection.  Tall stovepipe-like affair with many water coils going up and down, and a stove-like burner at the bottom.

Want hot water?  Go down inthe basement, open the door of the heater, light match, turn on gas, apply match to gas flow, poof, and a half hour later you had hot water.  After bath, dishwashing, whatever, you go back downstairs and turn off the gas.

I felt really grown-up when Pop taught me how to do that, ca 1947.
</irrelevant aside>

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 08:58:10 AM »
Clean the pilot light flame sensor too. It can get sooted up, mimicking a no flame condition and shutting off gas to the pilot.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 09:20:36 AM »
About 8 years ago I put a new NG water heater in Mtnbkr's house for him. I THINK we got it at Lowes, but I can't remember for certain, and I now disremember the make, but it seems to have been extremely reliable for them so far.

Ask him.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 10:51:19 AM »
OK, anyone have a recommendation for an ELECTRIC water heater?

I've got a 40 gallon A.O.Smith in my house that is now just over 17 years old . . . from what I've read, at that age it's nearing the end of its useful life, and getting to be due for replacement.

Suggestions?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 10:57:07 AM »
OK, anyone have a recommendation for an ELECTRIC water heater?

I've got a 40 gallon A.O.Smith in my house that is now just over 17 years old . . . from what I've read, at that age it's nearing the end of its useful life, and getting to be due for replacement.

Suggestions?
Don't install one.

As for gas.
I personally have skipped over the home depot and lowes ones. The might be ge and all but they are still made for the chain stores.
My supply house carries ao smith and I have put a few in for other people.

I have a bradford white power vent that came with the house and is still kicking. Not sure of the age.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 11:12:12 AM »
About 8 years ago I put a new NG water heater in Mtnbkr's house for him. I THINK we got it at Lowes, but I can't remember for certain, and I now disremember the make, but it seems to have been extremely reliable for them so far.

Ask him.

Lowes.  Don't recall the brand offhand.  No issues.  I think it went in closer to 10 years ago (Thing 1 was still a baby).

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »
I have an electric water heater, and it's getting to be time to replace it. It was a six year model that's been in for close to 10 years (if not longer) now. I had to replace the bottom element last year and when I drained it I was getting rust in the water.

The BIG secret to keeping an electric water heater alive for longer than it's rated?

Inspecting the sacrificial annode, and replacing it when it's about gone.

I had a plumber tell me that a couple of years ago. Once the annode goes, the tank can fail very quickly. As long as the annode is there, the tank can last a nice, long time.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »
Water filter or anode isn't the problem.

It's the damn FVIR filter in the bottom of all the new ones.

If it's not perfectly clean, the thermocouple overheats and shuts off the pilot gas supply.

Somehow I misread you had a leaking problem.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 03:27:36 PM »
My plumber only installs Rheem commercial.  It's definitely pricey (looking at $1200 to replace mine when it quits), but he swears by it.

I do have to ask... If the old one worked 21 years, why switch brands?  Internet reviews are universally 1-star or 5-star, and make no sense.  You have firsthand experience.

"It exploded and burned the house down, but I just loved the color.  Will buy again.  5-Star"

or

"The plumber didn't give it to me for free when I offered to sleep with him.  1-Star."

To me, difficulty with a pilot that is fixable with a part on a non-leaking, efficient unit that I otherwise like after six years is about four stars.  A brand new one ruining hardwoods from a tank rupture is 1-star.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:34:06 PM by Azrael256 »

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »
Bradford White makes the very best gas water heaters.  They are ranked #1.  I've had them in every house we ever owned and never had a failure.  They last a long time. 

I just replaced one in July in the home we moved into in Dec. of 2011 for preventative maintenance.  New one is a 50 gal. Defender Energy Saver.  The house had a Bradford White that was 20 years old.  Still working fine.   Since this will probably be the last house we'll live in before we croak and we go away in the winter, I wanted to make sure we didn't have a failure while gone, so that's why we replaced it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 04:16:07 PM »
You're planning to croak this winter  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 05:33:57 PM »
Reliance here going on 15+ years (I disremember).   

Water Heater (they are not "Hot Water Heaters".  If you already have hot water, why do you need a heater?) life biggest determining factor is water quality.  I swapped out ours shortly after we went from city well (5,000,000% of the USDA recommend daily allowance of Iron in every ounce) to Lake Michigan water.  Which had been filtered, several times before reaching us.  Softer than then softest water.   That *new* water heater is still going strong.

Dad's, on the other hand, is in Indianapolis.  They water comes from wells and mostly the White River (so named because when you look at you can see the limestone that it runs over.)  Hmm, limestone.  Lime.  Yes, all the glasses have a white film.  His water heaters last about 10 years, before they give up the ghost.  We have replaced anodes, but their water is HARD.  In fact, when I was down there last weekend, we discussed getting the house re-piped because the hot water comes out the showerhead and taps at little more than a trickle. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 05:42:53 PM »
T.P.- Ya never know. =D  Not planning on it.  I'd like to outlast the new water heater and my savings.   [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

erik the bold

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 09:20:29 PM »
Cleaned EVERYTHING.

Still cuts out.

Ordered a new burner assembly, as you can't just buy the thermocouple.

We'll see what happens.........

(Where the heck is the crossed fingers emoticon??)

BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Does anybody make a NG hot water heater that just doesn't suck?
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 04:58:08 AM »
Cleaned EVERYTHING.

Still cuts out.

Ordered a new burner assembly, as you can't just buy the thermocouple.

We'll see what happens.........

(Where the heck is the crossed fingers emoticon??)
How do they make em so you can't swap thermocouple?

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 06:21:29 AM »
My Lowes unit is doing just fine.  The unit there before should have been about 10 years old.  It was original I think.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge