Author Topic: Pretty Stormy  (Read 4728 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Pretty Stormy
« on: September 28, 2013, 07:29:10 PM »
Mostly windy.  Some rain.  At least all my lumberjacking over the last couple years has paid off though.  None of my trees have come down.  Neighbors are another matter.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Pretty Stormy
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 07:30:36 PM »
We are getting it over here on the dry side also, has been windy all day, and very few periods of no rain. I imagine the trees will start falling around town soon.

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 07:38:50 PM »
Mostly windy.  Some rain.  At least all my lumberjacking over the last couple years has paid off though.  None of my trees have come down.  Neighbors are another matter.

Your neighbors are coming down?   :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »

Your neighbors are coming down?   :P

Yup.  Like trees on a windy day.  ;)
Formerly sumpnz

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 07:49:52 PM »
I watched a couple trees fall over this morning.

Actually, I just pushed them over with my hand.  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 08:06:36 PM »
Definitely gonna be an interesting little storm....   Portland has forecasts for 3 inches of rain and 40MPH wind gusts in the next 24 hours or so....   The 911 center is blowing up with calls for trees into power lines, lines down on the ground, etc....   But I'm glad I'm not at the coast - 8 to 10 inches of rain and 80 MPH winds don't sound like much fun.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 08:38:16 PM »
Definitely gonna be an interesting little storm....   Portland has forecasts for 3 inches of rain and 40MPH wind gusts in the next 24 hours or so....   The 911 center is blowing up with calls for trees into power lines, lines down on the ground, etc....   But I'm glad I'm not at the coast - 8 to 10 inches of rain and 80 MPH winds don't sound like much fun.

they call that a hurricane on the east coast. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 08:54:57 PM »
Even with the high wind and rain I managed to grill some teriyaki beef and some steaks outdoors.  Just had to find the right spot.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 09:29:52 PM »
Wow.  We just went through that kind of thing.  Hope you guys stay OK.

7:30 pm mdt

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 01:11:23 AM »
The coast can handle it.  Nothing to sneeze at, but not the worst they've seen.  I remember one storm back in the day where I was trying to ride a bike and pedaling as hard as I could but moving backwards. 

I just got power back on in my neck of the woods, was down for something like 4 hours.  Cooked steaks on the wood stove tonight, and they turned out great!  Key lesson was that I really should get a hand pump for the well.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 02:32:52 AM »
At least all my lumberjacking over the last couple years has paid off though.  None of my trees have come down.

When the power companies cut the right-of-ways down here lots of people  bitch about it being horribly ugly...but they don't stop to think that a good clear ROW cut well back is an instrumental factor in helping to prevent outages as much as possible when we get nasty weather.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 10:27:42 AM »
When the power companies cut the right-of-ways down here lots of people  bitch about it being horribly ugly...but they don't stop to think that a good clear ROW cut well back is an instrumental factor in helping to prevent outages as much as possible when we get nasty weather.

Our co-op will come out for free and take down a tree that endangers the power line  :cool:

I guess they'd rather do that than have some landowner lose it and fall into the wire.  Dead trees are really hard to directional fall because they are so brittle.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 11:19:21 AM »
Our co-op will come out for free and take down a tree that endangers the power line  :cool:

I guess they'd rather do that than have some landowner lose it and fall into the wire.  Dead trees are really hard to directional fall because they are so brittle.

Had some limbs from one of our trees crowding the service drop to our house as well as the 7.2kV primary.   One phone call to the utility company, they came out the same day to look at it, and the next day there was a crew out there pruning back the limbs that were too close.  One hairy moment as one of the limbs being felled passed a little close to the primary, and I could hear some crackling (very distinct from the noise the limb was making).

One of the local ranges that hosts Appleseed Shoots has a transmission line running past it.   Huge right of way, and you can hear the corona discharge from the conductors from 300+ yards away.   Was innertubing one summer,and the river passes under the same transmission line.   Them suckers are *LOUD*
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 01:01:30 PM »
Boomauer said:

"When the power companies cut the right-of-ways down here lots of people  bitch about it being horribly ugly...but they don't stop to think that a good clear ROW cut well back is an instrumental factor in helping to prevent outages as much as possible when we get nasty weather. "

As well as providing a fairly good firebreak.  
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »
Boomauer said:

"When the power companies cut the right-of-ways down here lots of people  bitch about it being horribly ugly...but they don't stop to think that a good clear ROW cut well back is an instrumental factor in helping to prevent outages as much as possible when we get nasty weather. "

As well as providing a fairly good firebreak. 

That too.

I used to live up in the mountains. The damn environut yuppie hippies up there blocked the power companies from cutting ROW. When the power went down it was usually down for a long time while the power company cleared the entangled mess that was a few or several trees. And before the power company could start THAT my fire department often had to put out a brush fire started by the downed lines...and then we got to provide traffic directing around the downed lines. Lots of fun.

The same worthless hippies also pitched a fit when DOT mowed, mulched, and cleared the sides of the road. Because fuel reduction, improved drainage, and visibility improvement are crimes against humanity instead of needed safety improvements...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 06:40:04 PM »
in montgomery county md the treehuggers went berserk if a tree got trimmed on their "estate" but then those same treehuggers sued prpco when the power was out. wanted their rooms at the hilton paid for. entitlement amongst the wealthy is quite amazing
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 06:56:11 PM »
So you're saying you're a lumberjack and you're ok?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 07:36:18 PM »
So you're saying you're a lumberjack and you're ok?

I sleep all night and I work all day.
Formerly sumpnz

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 09:20:43 PM »
Well, there goes the first power interruption of the night...

Hopefully it doesn't get completely knocked out like it did on the last storm. Took the power company a good day to restore our power, and we don't have an electric backup on the pump. We went ahead and filled both bathtubs full of water just in case. Things get really crappy when you can't flush the toilet...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 10:06:10 PM »
The weather folks say it may be a record wind event for Western Washington. We will see. I remember the 1979 storm that trashed the Hood canal bridge. 

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 10:33:21 PM »
Seems a lot windier than yesterday.  Just poked my head out and heard a few branches cracking.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 12:48:06 AM »
Lost power for maybe 45 minutes.  Not too bad.  But, wind is supposedly peaking between 9PM-midnight, so it could still get bad again.
Formerly sumpnz

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 08:33:28 AM »
I sleep all night and I work all day.
Nice!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 09:20:49 AM »
Nice!

You say "nice" now. Wait till he starts talking about his clothing choices...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 12:36:26 PM »
Got a maple that will need to be cut down. All told, not too bad.

Formerly sumpnz