Author Topic: Roast Pork / Pseudo-BBQ Pork In Slow Cooker Ideas  (Read 3415 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Roast Pork / Pseudo-BBQ Pork In Slow Cooker Ideas
« on: October 04, 2013, 01:26:35 AM »
Anyone have a good slow-cooker pork recipe?  I have very good slow cooker beef chuck roast recipe, but my last pork shoulder was all sort of meh.  Precise recipes and/or directions are not necessary.  More ideas and general directions.

I would not mind a sort-of BBQ pork dish, but that almost seems like giving up, it is so easy.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Roast Pork / Pseudo-BBQ Pork In Slow Cooker Ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 04:26:45 AM »
Brown it first, cover in Melinda's black pepper ketchup, turn on for 8 hours low.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 06:23:55 AM »
SWMBO puts a pork loin in the slow cooker and covers it with water and then pours dome pepper on.  She sets it for 10 hours low and when it comes out it she is able to shred it wit a fork.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 07:34:23 AM »
Rather than dig out the slow cooker, I put a four pound boneless pork butt roast into a covered dutch oven and cook it in the oven at 250 degrees for five hours.  It is fall-apart tender when I take it out with an internal temp of about 190 degrees.  I pull it apart using two forks and then add a sufficient quantity of the BBQ sauce of my choice.

Using the covered dutch oven and the long slow heat minimizes shrinkage and preserves the moist character of the meat.  The internal fat melts nicely and incorporates with the meat.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 07:50:14 AM »
Pour in a can or two of root beer and cook all day.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 08:08:27 AM »
^^^ I have heard of this trick, but using Dr. Pepper instead.  I have not yet tried that.

Dixie_Amazon

• “Oh God, it's her, run!
  • friend
    • Bayou Shooter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 08:17:03 AM »
I haven't tried this yet, but it has great reviews. http://www.food.com/recipe/kalua-pig-in-a-slow-cooker-211379
Dennise
“Though I often run out of courage and good sense, stubbornness keeps me going.”
― Simon R. Green
http://www.BayouShooter.com

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Roast Pork / Pseudo-BBQ Pork In Slow Cooker Ideas
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 08:26:33 AM »
I slice a bunch of onions cook em till they are carmelized . Season meat brown it (bacon grease). Put it in crock pot. Smother itin onions. Putin other veggies (think pot roast)
Cook about 4 hours. I like it with white and wild rice

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 10:31:22 AM »
I had some pig last weekend at a friends house.

He would broil the pork roast to where it was almost burnt on the outside then put it in a crockpot with water until it was done. Tasted freaking amazing.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »
Hmm, I'll give some of them a try.

The slow-cooker is a requirement, as this is to be a "prep night before, stuff in fridge, set it out and cook on low all day, ready by dinner" sort of meal.  Yes, I brown roasts in a pot on the over before stuffing them in the slow cooker.  Makes a big difference.

When time gets tight, there is the not-inconsiderable risk of it being a "hamburger helper" night.  I like to minimize that risk.  A 3lb roast + veggies/taters to the top in a slow cooker covers two week night meals for the family and prep time is usually 15-20 minutes.  I need to insert more variation, hence the lame pork roast attempt.  Not sure about chicken & turkey in the slow cooker?????

On the weekend, I am liable to cook in the oven 2 round roasts(1) rare to med-rare in the oven while taking care of other chores.  Sometimes slathered with garlic, sometimes with coarse ground pepper & salt.  Quarter-cut taters next to them on the cookie sheet.

I slice a bunch of onions cook em till they are carmelized . Season meat brown it (bacon grease). Put it in crock pot. Smother itin onions. Putin other veggies (think pot roast)
Cook about 4 hours. I like it with white and wild rice

I just recalled I am almost out of bacon grease.  I wonder, if its cheaper to buy bacon grease or cheap bacon and harvest the grease?

(1) One for eating for dinner & lunchmeat for next few days, one for the freezer to break out is zombies hamburger helper threatens.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »
Not sure about chicken & turkey in the slow cooker?????

I love crockpot chicken

One whole chicken seasoned with favorite spices surrounded by favorite veggies, add water for broth. Set it and forget it. Takes 4-5 hours on high, I have never tried the all day on low.

I usually start mine at lunch on weekend for sat or sun supper.

Uranus is a gas giant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 10:51:48 AM »
  Not sure about chicken & turkey in the slow cooker?????

I've done cornish game hen in the crockpot.  I'll season it with orange juice.  Not sure where I got the suggestion to try that, but it's pretty dang good.  5-6 hours on low does the trick.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 11:04:28 AM »
if you are worried about something over cooking try freezing it. put it in frozen and you "buy time"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 11:31:47 AM »
I just recalled I am almost out of bacon grease.  I wonder, if its cheaper to buy bacon grease or cheap bacon and harvest the grease?

One of my local grocery stores sells a three pound cryo pack of bacon ends and pieces for $ 6.  It is surprisingly good quality bacon. I divide it out into six ounce portions and freeze the portions individually.  When I want to use bacon as a seasoning, I pull out one of these portion packs and fry it up.  A good way to get cooked bacon bits and grease.  As a matter of fact, I used a couple packs just the other night to make some hot German potato salad.  I use the Betty Crocker recipe for this, but use double the amount of bacon dressing for the potatoes, since I like a wet German potato salad, not the dry type where all the dressing has been absorbed by the potatoes.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »

You could just use lard.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 12:02:30 PM »
I used to have a recipe for BBQ that called for a #5 can of peaches and bottle of ketchup in the crock pot with [slab of meat or your choosing].   We tried it a few times, it was surprisingly good. 

Simply put meat in crockpot (no need to brown it, but you can if you want), open can of peaches, dump in.  Squeeze bottle of ketchup in.  Stir.  Set on low, come back several hours later. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »
Not sure about chicken & turkey in the slow cooker?

Be not afraid.

I do Coq au Vin at least once a month here, with just a basic crock pot.

Some recipes call for red wine, but I use chardonnay instead. 

Coming home and having chicken that falls off the bone is awesome!

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 01:24:09 PM »
Be not afraid.

Would you share some more details, please?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »
I do crockpot chicken and dumplings. Crockpot chicken is awesome. And whole chickens are ridiculously cheap.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 01:29:19 PM »
I often do chicken and 40 cloves in my crockpot.

Brown chicken legs and or thighs or whatever, arrange in the crock pot, dose with a cup or more of olive oil, drop in a *expletive deleted*it pot load of peeled garlic cloves, and cook.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 02:19:06 PM »
I buy whole fryer chickens at the local Piggly Wiggly when they're on sale for $0.99/lb. 

I get 2 or 3, and put them in the freezer for days when I'm lazy and let the crock pot do the cooking.

SADShooter, it's a simple recipe, but you could make it more complex if you'd like.  Garlic cloves come to mind...

1. 1 whole fryer chicken, giblets and neck removed, rinsed clean.

2. One whole lemon.

3. Two or three sprigs of fresh rosemary.

4. One bottle Chardonnay.  Merlot or Zinfandel are also great if you want the stronger flavor of red wines and their tannins.

Plop cleaned chicken in crock pot, breast side up.  I grind just a smidgen of sea salt and peppercorns over the breast for seasoning.

Slice up the lemon and cover the chicken with the slices.  Tuck a couple slices into the cavity, then put the rest between chicken and crock pot sides.

Tuck one whole sprig of rosemary into the chicken cavity with the lemon slices.  (Flavors from inside out as it cooks)

Pull the rosemary leaves off of the remaining sprigs, and sprinkle them to cover the chicken as seen in photo.

Add Chardonnay or your choice of wine to cover about 2/3 of chicken.  That way, there's plenty for heat transfer, but you're not totally poaching the bird.

The chicken will add its own liquid to the total volume as it cooks, but you want the breast to stay exposed and absorb the lemon and rosemary sitting on top as it all steams into happiness under the lid.

Set the crock pot's heat to Low or High depending on frozen/thawed bird, how soon you want to eat, etc. 

You'll know it's done when you grab a leg or wing and it just falls away from the rest of the chicken. 

Bon Appetit!   =D

Pee Ess: I strain and refrigerate the liquid afterwards for my own take on chicken stock.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 02:30:46 PM »
Thanks! Sounds like a nice warmer weather approach, good with a tossed salad or lighter sides. Will definitely try it.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 02:36:06 PM »
I serve it with long-grain wild rice and a salad, so you're in good company!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 03:28:04 PM »
I often do chicken and 40 cloves in my crockpot.

Brown chicken legs and or thighs or whatever, arrange in the crock pot, dose with a cup or more of olive oil, drop in a *expletive deleted* pot load of peeled garlic cloves, and cook.

Ahh, I see you have the same regard for garlic as I do.

Be not afraid.

Yum, yum.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 05:10:30 PM »
I just put in chicken or pork and plenty of sauce and cook for 10 hours or so on low. Skim the fat off and shred the meat then back in for an hour or so. Vary the sauce with sauce type and add spices to suit.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!