Author Topic: Abandoned at Sea  (Read 1106 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Abandoned at Sea
« on: October 04, 2013, 12:43:22 PM »
Captain and crew of a ship belonging to a bankrupt company have been stranded at see for apparently, months. This is a situation I've never thought about. In first world countries there would have been some aid to them by now, but a Third world flagged ship with a third world crew, looks like they're on their own. If I were Captain, I'd be inclined to "abandon ship", but apparently these guys would end up on foreign soil with no money and no embassy to help them get home. From the article, this situations is not all that uncommon.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/10/04/abandoned-ship-transport-firms-legal-battles-leave-sailors-adrift/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Abandoned at Sea
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »
That's a pretty sad story. I would hate to be in their shoes. =(
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 01:21:38 PM »
Sell the ship to the most convenient ship breaker?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »
I think it would be acceptable augmentation to maritime law that a captain of a ship in this type of situation may enter port and unload contracted cargo, then take the ship to the nearest scrap-yard which will operate as a sort of pawn shop.  The scrap yard gives the captain a reasonable amount for the ship (perhaps six months pay for crew, and enough money to get back home) which is WAY less than the ship is worth.  The scrap yard then deals with the ship's owner.  If the scrap yard is not compensated for the amount he gave the captain plus a reasonable amount for financing and storage of the ship, title is turned over to the scrap yard.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 01:27:29 PM »

What AZ said would be a good start, however, at this time I don't expect the Capt has any legal grounds to scrap the ship.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 02:03:37 PM »
It looks like a golden opportunity for the US Navy to provide emergency provisions and medical assistance.  Instant diplomacy points with India, Bangladesh, and Liberia.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
Are they drifting into/in sea lanes?

My memory is trying to tell me that in times past ships that were abandoned/could not navigate and were presenting a hazzard to navigation were hauled out of the way.  Sometimes left to float away from sea lanes, but usually wither beached or berthed with the country doing so claiming salvage on flotsam.  Admiralty Court hearing to ratify possession, the repurpose/scrap.

Apparently this ship is not insured, as nobody seems to be wanting to protect their financial interest in it.

Let the US Navy claim salvage, the tow it off Iran and conduct naval gunnery practice.  Maybe invite a few other nations to join in?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »
Too bad the ship (apparently) wasn't carrying valuable cargo . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »

anyone?  i'm in for $500.......

i'm wondering if this is a way for the company to save their assets.  as bankrupt, wouldn't the ship be seized if it finally made it to port?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »
anyone?  i'm in for $500.......

i'm wondering if this is a way for the company to save their assets.  as bankrupt, wouldn't the ship be seized if it finally made it to port?

He beat my offer by $50.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.