Author Topic: Why did the tortoise cross the road?  (Read 2038 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Why did the tortoise cross the road?
« on: October 14, 2013, 11:00:18 PM »
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/10/14/gargantuan-tortoise-fatally-struck-on-interstate-10-in-riverside-county/

See the TURTLE of enormous girth! 
On his shell he holds the Earth an 18-wheeler. =|
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

grampster

• friend
Re: Why did the tortoise cross the road?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:22:20 AM »
Why did the turtle cross the road? [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:28:57 AM »

Technically it didn't, quite.

I wonder if some arsehat hit it on purpose? I've seen low lifes go out of there way to hit critters in the road.
When I was in VA we almost got to see a lynching over it. traffic was kind of slow and a mother duck and a bunch of babies were walkiing on the side of the road. Pickup driver swerves and takes out the momma duck and about half the babies. The traffic came to a halt. If a cop hadn't come from the other way and stopped it I think the crowd would have drug him out of the truck.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 01:16:47 AM »
I wonder if some arsehat hit it on purpose?

That's what I was thinking, a 100lb tortoise isn't exactly a small bump in the road.

bob

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:56:17 AM »
I doubt it was intentional, a big tortoise would just look like a rock at speed (was this at night?) Who tries to run over a giant rock while doing 80?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 05:28:25 AM »
Dudes, I don't believe it weighed 100-150 lbs. That's hugegantic for a desert tortoise.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 07:57:07 AM »
I wonder if some arsehat hit it on purpose? I've seen low lifes go out of there way to hit critters in the road.
When I was in VA we almost got to see a lynching over it. traffic was kind of slow and a mother duck and a bunch of babies were walkiing on the side of the road. Pickup driver swerves and takes out the momma duck and about half the babies. The traffic came to a halt. If a cop hadn't come from the other way and stopped it I think the crowd would have drug him out of the truck.

We had a guy charged with poaching recently- security cameras of a nearby building showed him purposely accelerating and crossing the centerline to hit a doe and a fawn.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »
You know, it's rather interesting seeing "Soup Day!" right beneath this thread...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »
Dudes, I don't believe it weighed 100-150 lbs. That's hugegantic for a desert tortoise.

I came across one that was about 12 inches across, about 3 years ago.  They're pretty rare to find.  He was about 15 pounds.

Seems that someone has released some giant african tortoises into the Sonoran or Mojave desert areas... there are confirmed sightings and captures of 100+ pound african tortoises.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/huge-100-pound-african-tortoise-found-roaming-arizona-desert

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »

To change a light bulb.   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 11:31:37 AM »
Turtles are the only critter I stop for and move across the road.
I did not say Highway just a road.
I drug one that was about 2 feet long across the road, not sure what it weighed, but it was heavy. Turtles of any type are a rare site around here and I feel bad for them.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »
The river turtles wander about here during the summer.

They get maybe 6-8" at the shell  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 03:24:58 PM »
You know, it's rather interesting seeing "Soup Day!" right beneath this thread...

Before I hit send and bring this to the top, Ramming Speed was two above this.  :laugh:

I've seen someone intentionally swerve to hit a turtle. Bastards, :mad: I once saw a very large turtle, I actually think it was an alligator turtle, trying to cross the road. Pulled over to try to get it across but it didn't seem to want me near it so I decided to let it fend for itself and hope people would see it and not hit it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 03:49:53 PM »
I once saw a very large turtle, I actually think it was an alligator turtle, trying to cross the road. Pulled over to try to get it across but it didn't seem to want me near it so I decided to let it fend for itself and hope people would see it and not hit it.

I saw the same once. Massive, likely snapping turtle.

It was on the other side of the road and as I was pulling over to try to help it across, someone apparently thought they could straddle him.

No such luck.

Snapping turtles are mean creatures, but I still didn't want to see that.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »
I hate running over critters - even rattlesnakes.

Seems like an awful way to go.   =(

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
Some of the river turtles aroun dhere can get damn big.
In the early '80s a snapping turtle was pulled out of a large creek near here. Head to tail it was over 5' long. They tried to get it to the Tulsa Zoo but it died before they could get it there. It was mounted and displayed around Vinita for several years. I saw it in '85. It was mounted with it's mouth open. I could pass a coke can trhough it's open mouth. It was reported to have been over 200 years old at the time it was caught.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

John G

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:59 PM »
"What's a tortoise?" -Leon
I like spiedies and old guns

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 10:44:35 PM »
That's what I was thinking, a 100lb tortoise isn't exactly a small bump in the road.

bob
Yeah, if it was that big, I'd like to see the vehicle that hit it and drove away.  That is getting into wild hog size.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge