Author Topic: How to cheese off your base.  (Read 1940 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
How to cheese off your base.
« on: October 26, 2013, 05:51:23 PM »
As if the Obamacare fiasco wasn't enough.  Now he's gonna take food outta my baby-daddy's baby mouf.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/25/food-stamps_n_4158690.html

Haven't heard a lot about this in the MSM.

There will be millions starving due to those evil Democrats and Obama.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: How to cheese off your base.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 06:06:25 PM »
Same old story.

The Recovery Act's food stamp boost was not supposed to disappear so abruptly. The plan had been to leave the increase in place until inflation caught up through annual adjustments to SNAP benefit levels, which had been expected to happen in 2015. But congressional Democrats essentially raided the cookie jar, using the future planned spending to offset the cost of priority legislation in 2010. They said at the time that they would put the money back before any decrease could take effect, but they have not kept their promise.

How many times have we seen our lords and masters in the legislature do this? Any time they see some money sitting there, even when it's specifically earmarked for some laudable purpose or program, they just can't keep themselves from spending it right now. And no matter how sincerely they promise to pay it back ... they never do.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:43:00 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 06:13:36 PM »
As if the Obamacare fiasco wasn't enough.  Now he's gonna take food outta my baby-daddy's baby mouf.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/25/food-stamps_n_4158690.html

Haven't heard a lot about this in the MSM.

There will be millions starving due to those evil Democrats and Obama.

When you DO finally hear about it in MSM, it'll all be "Tea Party Republicans" fault.  Obama is the real victim here; don't ever forget that.  ("Victim" is the new black)
"It's good, though..."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 06:31:26 PM »
While I understand that millions will suffer, I have little expectation that the low-information voters will understand why food is being taken out of their mouths, and if they do that they will actually blame the Ds.  It's so much easier to whine about why those evil, capitalistic, blood-sucking Rs did not increase the taxes on the 1% to replace the money.

Pamela Gwynn of Crawfordsville, IN seems to not comprehent what that first word in Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program means.  Yes, living on SSA Disability is difficult at best.  But dammit, the .gov supposedly told her that they expected her (regardless of her actual ability to do so) to cover approximately 60% of her food budget on her own.

For a short period of time in my life I was living hand to mouth on an income that was about $100 short of covering rent, utilities, and food.  SNAP gave me $47/month (later cut to $41).  The shortfall was made up via the local food pantry (Thank you for being there) since I could not afford Meals on Wheels.  Working at the food pantry 6 hours per week* to be given more than enough to get me by for the week was a better than fair trade-off.  I saw lots of folks on SSA/SSDI but darned few on TANF coming through the doors, and heard more than a few comments at the grocery store from folks in that group saying they would never get food from the food pantry.  My level of sympathy for them when they lose benefits is lower than the proverbial whale's ****.

Ever since returning to being independently poor I make sure every time I shop for groceries to buy stuff to put in the food bank bin.  It may be no-name generic but I lived off that stuff without complications.

stay safe.

* - and the local church volunteers who were working on "my day" to volunteer picked me up & brought me home.  Saved me $7.50 in welfare-rate bus fare.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 12:23:33 AM »
Oh SNAP!  Hate it when that happens.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 01:15:31 AM »
I've heard rumors that grocery stores bump their prices around the first of the month, maybe they'll throttle back on the increase a bit. Not the the moufs will notice or appreciate it of course.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 04:36:41 AM »
When you DO finally hear about it in MSM, it'll all be "Tea Party Republicans" fault.  Obama is the real victim here; don't ever forget that.  ("Victim" is the new black)
This plus eleventy million !!!!!!1!!
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »
I thought this thread was how to get cheese off your base.  =|  I have cheese on my base, I was thinking a little Goo-Gone or maybe some turpentine?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 11:58:37 AM »
I thought this thread was how to get cheese off your base.  =|  I have cheese on my base, I was thinking a little Goo-Gone or maybe some turpentine?

Get a dog.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »
I've heard rumors that grocery stores bump their prices around the first of the month, maybe they'll throttle back on the increase a bit. Not the the moufs will notice or appreciate it of course.

They are not rumors. would you expect such a real economic incentive to go unexploited? its hard to fathom otherwise. I know the walmart in Cambridge, Ohio will offer you a coupon price for milk if they see you are paying cash. The pizza shop I worked at there did about double the usual business on the 1st; it was a monthly holiday.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 11:17:17 PM »

I spent 13 years as a scanning coordinator (price change clown).  As for the grocery store chain I worked for, they never jacked prices up at the first of the month just to stick anyone.  The buyers spend all month working out deals/price changes for quantity purchases and cost increases.  They send the deals/increases to the pricers who set them for the individual stores.  The prices are sent to the stores for the price changers to hang on the shelves.  Most price breaks start or end at the beginning of the month.  Then the ad's will come from these through the month.  The stores honestly don't have the labor to jack prices up just to nail the food stamp crowd. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 10:14:05 AM »
I spent 13 years as a scanning coordinator (price change clown).  As for the grocery store chain I worked for, they never jacked prices up at the first of the month just to stick anyone.  The buyers spend all month working out deals/price changes for quantity purchases and cost increases.  They send the deals/increases to the pricers who set them for the individual stores.  The prices are sent to the stores for the price changers to hang on the shelves.  Most price breaks start or end at the beginning of the month.  Then the ad's will come from these through the month.  The stores honestly don't have the labor to jack prices up just to nail the food stamp crowd. 

Besides what's posted above debunking the myth, EBT cards have been de-rigeur for a decade or more now most everywhere, and they generally load on random days of the month depending on the initial time of application, plus some random factor like the last digit of the SSN or alphabetization of the last name.

I promise not to duck.