Author Topic: Are you too fat for the military?  (Read 8641 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Are you too fat for the military?
« on: October 28, 2013, 04:10:58 PM »
I was reading an article on service members getting liposuction on the economy to comply with the new military body fat standards, and it gave a link on how to calculate them: http://www.skinbodyfitness.com/bmr_bmi_bfp.htm

According to this, my body fat is 16.5% and my weight is within normal range for my height. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Are you too fat for the military?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »
I was always fighting that.  I was short, stocky, and nearly maxed the PT test each time.  I would always barely fail the tape test, but the 1st SGT would see the results of the PT test and fudge it.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »
 ;/

It says I'm obese and to lose 65 pounds.

I could happily lose about half of that and still be healthy, but if I dropped that much weight? That would probably be ALL my body fat (including breast tissue) which is not healthy.

BMI is such a load of crap.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 04:30:32 PM »
I was always fighting that.  I was short, stocky, and nearly maxed the PT test each time.  I would always barely fail the tape test, but the 1st SGT would see the results of the PT test and fudge it.

If Uniform Stores had it in my size and I passed the PFT I was "fit for duty".  The only time I failed was in Boot Camp when I could not clear the 8-foot ditch jump.  Turned out I had stress fractures clean across both fibuli (fibulas?).  They "deferred" my testing till the end of AIT.  I cleared the trench.

Of course, back then they were only looking for folks who could go and kill the other side's guys.  Looking pretty doing it never entered their minds.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »
Your BMR is: 1984.3
Your BMI is: 31
Minimum Calorie requirement is: 2381
Your Body Fat is 20.7%.
You are Overweight by 7.7 pound(s).

BS.

By my reckoning, I need to lose about 40 pounds to be healthy, and closer to 50 to be where I'd really like to be.

And I really DON'T need 2381 calories per day.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 05:26:31 PM »
Interesting. This is the only BMI calculator I've ever used that didn't tell me to drop 25lbs or more. It says I'm 7lbs overweight, which is probably accurate just right now. All the other ones have always told me I'm a big fat slob.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 05:42:22 PM »
Your BMR is: 1765.7
Your BMI is: 23
Minimum Calorie requirement is: 2119
Your Body Fat is 14.4%.
Your weight is normal

Shex shymbol.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »
Your BMR is: 1541.3
Your BMI is: 23
Minimum Calorie requirement is: 2389
Your Body Fat is 11.2%.
Your weight is normal.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 06:29:55 PM »
dang, i don't feel obese!     it tells me to lose 32lbs.  i agree with that.  if i could drop from 255 to 220, i would be happy.  a month or so ago i was at 265, that's the heaviest i have ever been, but since then i've been doing a 3 mile run/walk with the dog every day.   funny how 10 years ago i could train for a week and run a 5k, now i can barely run 200 yds.   :lol:
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 06:48:23 PM »
Your BMR is: 1915.2
Your BMI is: 28
Minimum Calorie requirement is: 2969
Your Body Fat is 17.4%.
Your weight is normal.

I also call BS on those calories.  Even on days when I exercise I'm only looking at 2500 total.  As for the military, I have no problem passing the Air Force PT test; my goal is always to get a rating of Excellent (90% or better aggregate score).  Last time I got a 89.6% and I was fuming.  Four seconds faster on the run would have done it.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 07:50:20 PM »
Maybe that's total SHTF/Combat calories?  ???
I promise not to duck.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 07:56:09 PM »
Oh, I definitely agree that combat operations would cause calorie requirements to skyrocket.  I try to do a ruck march on my own once a month, by the time you combine a heavy pack with some distance you're looking at some serious calories.  Last year I did an eight mile hike with a 60 lb pack, when I got home I ate peanut butter out of the jar and passed out on the couch.

I like this website for calorie estimation:

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 08:02:09 PM »
I'm fat and I know it.  =D

I'm in the whole "BMI calculated from a formula/chart is BS" camp.
Not everybody fits the cookie cutter perfect body model. I'm 5'7" (on a good day early in the morning) with a 6'2" arm span.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 08:16:20 PM »
What a load
I am 5'8 220
I was 155 till i was 42
Was a 28 inch waist now a 38

And they say i am 5.9 pounds overweight? Move that decimal to the left one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »
What a load
I am 5'8 220
I was 155 till i was 42

Same here, I'm only 7.7lbs shy of the standard? I thought to myself, "Well, it is the Navy, maybe they want you to float..." then read all the forces use the same formula.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 08:50:46 PM »
What a load
I am 5'8 220
I was 155 till i was 42

Are you guys sure you're doing it right? I'm 6' 3" and 225.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 10:18:28 PM »
I know I need to loose some gut, but this thing thinks I'm good to go.
Your BMR is: 1873.4
Your BMI is: 26.5
Minimum Calorie requirement is: 2248
Your Body Fat is 13.4%.
Your weight is normal.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 10:33:59 PM »
Are you guys sure you're doing it right? I'm 6' 3" and 225.

maybe not ben i'll try again. 

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 05:16:51 AM »
I left boot camp weighing 153 lbs, those jerks starved me. I am now the same height of 73" and weigh in at 225. Max for my height is 206, so out comes the tape. By the tape and the all knowing ratio I come out at 21% body fat which is a load of horsecrap. I've come in at lower ratios of body fat when I was 10lbs heavier and really out of shape. Why? My neck was 19 inches.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 07:14:16 AM »
My Scouts had to use a BMI calculator before they went to Philkont last summer.  According to that calculator, I'm borderline obese, and would need to drop 15 lbs minimum to be permitted to takebthe trek.  By this calculator, I'm normal.  While I like the outcome, and felt that the BSA one was overstrict, I still think I should drop anpther 20+ pounds.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 07:24:50 AM »
I left boot camp weighing 153 lbs, those jerks starved me. I am now the same height of 73" and weigh in at 225. Max for my height is 206, so out comes the tape. By the tape and the all knowing ratio I come out at 21% body fat which is a load of horsecrap. I've come in at lower ratios of body fat when I was 10lbs heavier and really out of shape. Why? My neck was 19 inches.

It sounds like the neck/waist ratio is the most heavily weighted (ha ha) factor. This may be obvious, but I haven't read up on this method, I just took the test at the link.

Also, I wonder if this test is geared primarily for the military, if they factor in a higher estimated muscle mass due to PT regimes versus a standard BMI. I have always hated the BMI because it doesn't differentiate between me and an Oprah watching, bon bon eating, couch potato.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 09:37:09 AM »
Not everybody fits the cookie cutter perfect body model. I'm 5'7" (on a good day early in the morning) with a 6'2" arm span.

:O

Say hi to Doc, Ham, Renny & the rest of the gang for me.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »

Might be because it's getting way passed my bed time but I'm missing the reference on that one ???
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 10:10:18 AM »

Might be because it's getting way passed my bed time but I'm missing the reference on that one ???

Doc Savage.  One of his associates.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Savage#Doc_Savage.27s_aides

Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Blodgett "Monk" Mayfair, an industrial chemist. Monk got his nickname from his simian build, notably his long arms, and his covering of red hair. He is in a constant state of "friendly feuding" with "Ham" Brooks. This began when his friend taught him some French words to say to an officer and Monk repeated them, not knowing they were a string of insults. The result was a lengthy stay in the guardhouse.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 10:17:18 AM »
Gotcha. One of the holes in my literary education. Know of the character but other than a few comic books in the early '70s not really up on it.

Samuel Adams