Author Topic: Plumbers- riddle me this -  (Read 944 times)

tokugawa

• friend
Plumbers- riddle me this -
« on: November 01, 2013, 04:05:07 AM »
Toilet would not fill, so I looked it over and it had about 2" long plug of organic stuff in the 1/2" inlet pipe, jammed against the valve. Like tiny roots, all broken up. And a few old bright blue copper oxide particles.

The rest of the faucet filters have a few fine pieces of the same stuff stuck on them.

background info- the house is 18 years old, has a 35 year old 50' well and pump-the usual set up, the submersible pump fills a pressure tank, then goes to the house. 18 years ago, we cut into the system to run a 1" line to the new house. The line is 1" flexible black plastic, about 3/32 wall thickness IIRC.

The question- where did the organic stuff come from?  Was it something in the line when the plumbers connected up the "new " house, and has been working it's way to the valve? over 18 years? The roots did not seem "new" and tough, but they were not completely rotted to mush either.

Or, do I have a break in the water line somewhere where roots are getting in?

Or, is it something the pump picked up in the well, and managed to find it's way past the sand filter on the pump inlet, and up into and past the pressure tank? that one seems unlikely??..

There is one clue- the toilet tank filled the last time with red iron water-which would be the case if the plug had slipped past an obstruction and slid down the pipe, scouring off the iron in front of it like a bore brush.
 So I think the plug slipped some distance all at once.

This toilet is pretty close to the main inlet to the house, and it is on the first floor. only one other branch in front of it.

Any experience with this sort of thing?

tokugawa

• friend
Re: Plumbers- riddle me this -
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 04:07:12 AM »
And yes, I normally do my plumbing work after midnight. =D

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 06:23:50 AM »
Have you checked for a hole in the fabric of the universe?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:31:59 AM »
My guess would be roots are making it into the water main somewhere and a small piece broke off and found its way to your toilet fill. Just a guess though. The blue stuff is copper sulfate or copper oxide, some thing like that. It too is famous for clogging stuff up in water feeds.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 07:40:44 AM »
if you had a break in the line water would be leaking out, you wouldn't have stuff leaking in.  a healthy well has a balance of life growing in it.  it can also be growing in the line.  it sounds like some of that is making it's way to the house.  whatever you do, if it's not toxic, don't shock your well with a chlorine treatment.   i've seen others do so, and it sometimes results in all the "good" bacteria dying off, and the "bad" bacteria taking over resulting in the need for regular shock treatments.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »
Do you have a sediment filter on the line coming from the well? Be a cheap way to trap that sort of thing before it gets to fixtures if not.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 01:40:27 PM »
There is no filtration on the water line- I may instal one- we do have  calcium in the water. , I have contemplated putting in a complete filtration system to remove it, but it is a bit expensive and I would need to find a place to put it. 

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »
Ohhh, somehow I missed the part about it being from a well. Never mind ...  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 11:00:52 PM »
There is no filtration on the water line- I may instal one- we do have  calcium in the water. , I have contemplated putting in a complete filtration system to remove it, but it is a bit expensive and I would need to find a place to put it. 

I'd suggest in the water line between the well and house.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 11:04:56 PM »
Time to shock the well.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 03:49:32 AM »
while your installing the filter, it wouldn't hurt to create a flush system using the same diameter line as the pipe from the well.  just use a t right before the filter with a shutoff and line dumping outside to flush all the crap out every 6 months or so.  just close the valve slowly after the water runs clear, as the waters momentum can blow your toilet fill valves.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »
I don't know if this is related or co-incidence. I lost power this morning in the windstorm.  Got up and went to make coffee, usually there is enough pressure in the tank to get a pan of water- nada- either the pressure tank is bad, there is a leak in the line, or there is a failed check valve, or the power went out at the same time the pump was due to come on, leaving me with very low pressure in the tank.
 Ah well, first thing is to drink my coffee- thank you honda!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 02:21:32 PM »
it's likely that you have some of the organic material caught in the check valve. 

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 02:36:32 PM »
^^^That is likely- I went out and looked at the pressure tank- it is OK, and there is no apparent leakage anywhere from faucets, hose bibs, toilet floats,etc- yet the tank is losing pressure at about 20lbs per 20 minute- I think it is the pump check valve.

Interesting story- about four years ago, I called a well guy to look over the system , just preventive maintenance. I asked about replacing the pump, as it was 30+ years old. He said, "well, it works, it may work fine for years, and I have seen new ones fail in just a few years". I said," you sound like you are telling me the new ones are not as well made." He said, "that is exactly what I am saying". Hmmm.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 04:10:27 PM »
if you need to replace your pump in the future, goulds still makes a quality pump.  you'll pay 3x more than the pos pumps at tractor supply, but when your through changing it out you'll be glad you bought the one that lasts for 25 years rather than 5.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 12:41:05 AM »
Are you sure they are roots?  I'm thinking fibers.  Invasion of the Body Snatcher-type fibers.
I'd be careful where I sleep for awhile if I were you.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 10:29:42 AM »
There is this funny rootlet stuff growing out of my face....... =D