Author Topic: Guns and ammo column: Dick Metcalf thinks Illinois training is reasonable  (Read 23576 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Guns and ammo column: Dick Metcalf thinks Illinois training is reasonable
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2013, 05:51:02 PM »
Here, lemme answer his four questions:

1. If you believe the 2nd Amendment should be subject to no regulation at all, do you therefore believe all laws prohibiting convicted violent repeat criminals from having guns are unconstitutional? Should all such laws be repealed?  

Yes, yes, and yes.   It's a whole other can of worms, but basically if you can't be trusted to be a good member of society, you shouldn't have been released from jail anyway.

2. Do you also believe all laws establishing concealed-carry licenses are unconstitutional?

Yes

3. Do you have a concealed-carry license anyway?

Yes

4. Are you thereby violating the Constitution yourself?

No, because I'm not the government, dumbass
Even if you agree with felons not owning guns, that is just a red hering question.  There 10,000 infringements of one kind or another well beyond that that need to be repealed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
Methinks Mr. Metcalf does not understand how tired some of us are with this crap.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »
From Hornady's statement:

The supreme court ruled that all of the rights granted by the constitution can be regulated or restricted in certain ways.

Sure is nice to know that the Constitution grants our rights.   :facepalm:

Someone has no clue.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2013, 06:52:47 PM »
The supreme court ruled that all of the rights granted by the constitution can be regulated or restricted in certain ways.

Sigh. If a right can be regulated, it ain't a right, is it? Morons.

You have a right to own and carry firearms. If you kill someone and go to prison, you've chosen not to exercise your right to own and carry firearms. You still have the right, but you've surrendered your ability to exercise it.

And so on.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2013, 04:54:47 PM »
Metcalf should read the dictionary again.

Regulation is not "by definition" infringement? It sure is by any definitions I've found for the two words. I want to know what dictionary he's using.

Something I learned today is that the SCOTUS changed the legal definition of "regulate" to include "prohibition" in 1942. 
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »
Methinks Mr. Metcalf does not understand how tired some of us are with this crap.
I think that is part of this.  On Gun Talk, he kept saying he was trying to start a dialog or something like that.  However, we are so tired of hearing rhetoric like that from gun grabber organizations trying to score political points.  Also, the online discussion on these topics is on-going all the time to the point that people have been there and done that and already decided.  He could have picked any gun forum and tested some of this language to better word his discussion in the magazine. 

I guess I need to re-read what he wrote.  I am forgetting after getting caught up in the New Mexico story. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »
I don't buy the "dialog" bullcrap.   I think he's trying to use that as a cover for having the whole world come down on him like a ton of bricks.

He flat out said, "I don't think that requiring 16 hours of training to qualify for a concealed carry license is an infringement in and of itself.  But that's just me."

That's not "starting a dialog."  That's flat out giving the enemy a freebie to use against us in any attempt to get the onerous requirements ramped down.  So don't be surprised when the population that thinks it's bullcrap calls it for what it is.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2013, 07:43:05 PM »
Sigh. If a right can be regulated, it ain't a right, is it? Morons.

Also, if you have to pay a fee and get a license (or permit) to exercise a right ... is it really a "right"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2013, 07:46:17 PM »
Something I learned today is that the SCOTUS changed the legal definition of "regulate" to include "prohibition" in 1942. 

In what context? What case? Does that case even bleed over to affect a provision of the Constitution? And, besides -- the only reference to regulation in the Second Amendment is as an adjective for the militia. I hope we can all agree that the prefatory clause doesn't translate to "A well-prohibited militia being necessary for a free state, ..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »
He flat out said, "I don't think that requiring 16 hours of training to qualify for a concealed carry license is an infringement in and of itself.  But that's just me."

That's not starting a dialogue, that's elitism. The line you quoted was from his conclusion. Earlier in his column he wrote this:

Quote from: Metcalf
This year, my Illinois homeland became the 50th state to enact a CCW statute. It's a "shall issue" law, but it requires 16 hours of training to qualify for a license. Many say that's excessive -- an inherent infringement. I don't. But I'd like it to be good training.

So, according to Mr. Metcalf, not only is 16 hours of training not excessive, unless it's "good" training it may not even be enough. Who gets to decide whether or not a course is good enough? Dick Metcalf, I suppose. We obviously can't fall back on the NRA -- after all, their Basic Pistol course (which is accepted by a huge preponderance of those states requiring training) is only a single-day, 8-hour class. Ergo (according to Mr. Metcalf), no matter how good the NRA class might be, it's not enough. Flesh it out to fill up two days (how?) and it still might not be "good" enough to satisfy Metcalf's criteria -- whatever they are.

Metcalf grabbed the tiger by the tail -- he shouldn't complain about getting scratched. His position is essentially indefensible, and he should have been smart enough to know that before submitting it for publication. Now he can't admit that he was wrong -- he's just circling his wagon.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2013, 08:34:20 PM »
I don't buy the "dialog" bullcrap.   I think he's trying to use that as a cover for having the whole world come down on him like a ton of bricks.

That's not "starting a dialog."  That's flat out giving the enemy a freebie to use against us in any attempt to get the onerous requirements ramped down.  So don't be surprised when the population that thinks it's bullcrap calls it for what it is.
I can understand that statement a bit in context of Illinois and being very unlikely to get anything better considering the political climate.  Tied in with some of the other stuff, it paints him as being willing to compromise too much. 

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2013, 09:05:10 PM »
I think that is part of this.  On Gun Talk, he kept saying he was trying to start a dialog or something like that.

No need to re-read.  He's just full of *expletive deleted*it, and desperately backpedaling.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »
In what context? What case? Does that case even bleed over to affect a provision of the Constitution? And, besides -- the only reference to regulation in the Second Amendment is as an adjective for the militia. I hope we can all agree that the prefatory clause doesn't translate to "A well-prohibited militia being necessary for a free state, ..."

Good point.  The reality is that regulate, in the context of the 2nd, is not really disputed by the majority of legal scholars.  Even the anti-gun scholars will concede that the FF's didn't mean regulate=lots o' rules.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2013, 09:47:20 PM »
I can understand that statement a bit in context of Illinois and being very unlikely to get anything better considering the political climate.  Tied in with some of the other stuff, it paints him as being willing to compromise too much. 

I can certainly understand that someone from Illinois would be happy to have any avenue to legal concealed carry over nothing at all ... however, to argue that 16 hours of training (but remember, it should be good training) isn't an infringement is ludicrous. If he had said "I don't like it but it's the best we could do so we'll live with it," I doubt anybody would have taken issue with him. Instead, he put on his elitist hat and wrote condescendingly at those of us who understand the Second Amendment better than he is ever likely to.

He wasn't trying to start a dialogue. He was lecturing us. Bad move, when you start the lecture with a major factual error.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2013, 10:16:41 PM »
I can certainly understand that someone from Illinois would be happy to have any avenue to legal concealed carry over nothing at all ... however, to argue that 16 hours of training (but remember, it should be good training) isn't an infringement is ludicrous. If he had said "I don't like it but it's the best we could do so we'll live with it," I doubt anybody would have taken issue with him. Instead, he put on his elitist hat and wrote condescendingly at those of us who understand the Second Amendment better than he is ever likely to.

He wasn't trying to start a dialogue. He was lecturing us. Bad move, when you start the lecture with a major factual error.

It should be put in monetary terms.  Someone starting from nothing will spend somewhere in the neighbourhood of $450 to for a time limited permit to exercise a constitutionally recognized right. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2013, 10:19:21 PM »
It should be put in monetary terms.  Someone starting from nothing will spend somewhere in the neighbourhood of $450 to for a time limited permit to exercise a constitutionally recognized right. 

That's just for fees, or does it include qualification ammo? I presume you're not counting guns or holsters.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2013, 10:21:31 PM »

Plus 16 hours of time.

Sounds good.  When can we start applying it to voting rights to see who's really willing to put some skin in the game?

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2013, 10:32:16 PM »

That's just for fees, or does it include qualification ammo? I presume you're not counting guns or holsters.

$150 for the permit.  More if you opt for fingerprinting to speed up the process.  Plus my estimate of the cost of the 16 hours of training, which seems to be what I'm seeing out there.  Does not include cost of ammo, gun, holster, accoutrements and accessories.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2013, 10:47:08 PM »
$150 for the permit.  More if you opt for fingerprinting to speed up the process.  Plus my estimate of the cost of the 16 hours of training, which seems to be what I'm seeing out there.  Does not include cost of ammo, gun, holster, accoutrements and accessories.

Most NRA instructors around here charge $150 for the one-day Basic Pistol class. In the past that used to include ammo for the live fire portion, but since the protocol for the live fire has been increased from "Shoot one magazine of cylinder and keep it on the paper" to a minimum of fifty rounds, some instructors are now charging for ammo and/or asking students to bring their own.

$300 for 16 hours sounds about right.

But that's not saying that 16 hours sounds about right.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2013, 11:30:51 PM »
Just so everyone understands, Lee N. Field's $450 is probably on the low side.

Most classes* are right at $300 for the 16 hours.  
$150 for the application fee.
$20-30 in ammo (you have to shoot 30 rounds plus figure some for practice before so call it 50 rounds)
Fingerprinting is going to run $25-$50 unless you do the paper route are willing to wait the extra 30 days.

So your looking right at $500 to exercise a right.   Imagine the hue and cry there would be if we required this of people prior to voting (and your voting permit is only good for 5 years).  Look at what has happened as some have simply asked people to show an ID at the polls.  

*-The class consists of the NRA Basic Pistol class, 8 hours on Illinois law, live fire of 10 rds at 3, 10 rds at 7 and 10 rds at 10 yrds with 70% or 21 hits on the target and it also must include 3 hours of care and maintenance of your heater.   A DD214 gets you out of the 8 hour NRA class, while Hunter Ed, Utah, Florida and couple of other CCW classes buy you out of 4 hours of class.  But everyone has to endure 8 hours of Illinois law and the live fire.  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:22:03 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2013, 11:32:59 PM »
I will feel safer on the mean streets of Alton, knowing that anyone packing a gun knows how to maintain, clean and lubricate the weapon.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2013, 09:43:41 AM »

I am going from a letter written by Gary Marbut: http://www.wnd.com/files/2013/11/MontanaLetter22.pdf.  Mr. Marbut is the author of the Montana Firearms Freedom Act.  In the letter he states the SCOTUS, in Wickard v. Filburn, changed the definitions of "regulate", "commerce", and "among."  He's referring to the Interstate Commerce Clause, so I don't know if it bleeds over or not.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »
I am going from a letter written by Gary Marbut: http://www.wnd.com/files/2013/11/MontanaLetter22.pdf.  Mr. Marbut is the author of the Montana Firearms Freedom Act.  In the letter he states the SCOTUS, in Wickard v. Filburn, changed the definitions of "regulate", "commerce", and "among."  He's referring to the Interstate Commerce Clause, so I don't know if it bleeds over or not.

So he's talking about the ability of the Congress to "regulate" interstate commerce, and the ruling is that "regulate" can include "prohibit." That's not the same thing at all as the different avenues of definition for "regulate" as in "control" (enact regulations to limit an activity) vs. "regulate" as used in the Second Amendment, where it means "trained, practiced, coordinated, made uniform, ..."

That letter was NOT written by an attorney, and it is a masterpiece of an example of how NOT to draft an amicus brief to the Supreme Court.

I don't see any bleed-over at all.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:11:47 AM by Hawkmoon »