Author Topic: Baked Steak  (Read 6555 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Baked Steak
« on: November 11, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
I've always been a "steak on the grill" guy, but just started playing around with steak baked in the oven, based on a very simple recipe I found on the Web. It makes a really juicy steak.

Preheat oven to 350.
Season steak with salt and pepper.
Heat up a cast iron pan on the stove top.
Sear the steak on the stove top, 30-45 seconds per side.
Put a big old gob of butter on top of the steak.
Add 1/4 cup red wine to the pan.
Place pan in oven for around 20 minutes (for medium rare in my oven).
I found turning once when halfway through lets it bake more evenly.

Anyway, it makes a fine steak. I'm gonna do this more often.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Baked Steak
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
I've used that before as well, but without the red wine.

It's good.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »
You don't end up with any sort of crisp crust, do you?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 05:23:04 PM »
You don't end up with any sort of crisp crust, do you?

No, there are a few youtube videos on this method.  Some nights when its a pain to fire up the grill, you can still have a steak that tastes good.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 05:23:57 PM »
You can get a moderate crust that way. I've done it before, but I've found that I generally like a pan fried steak better.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »
You can get the crisp crust by searing it after it cooks.  You loose less juice, too.  (Searing steaks beforehand damages surface cells and allows more moisture to escape than does an unseared steak.  Goes against popular food lore, but hey, sometimes science does that.)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »
I have done that also, but without the red wine. It seems the red wine would steam the steak some, rather than bake it. I heat up my cast iron on the Weber, it gets plenty hot, I shoot for about 500 degrees. I brush the steak with a little grapeseed oil and toss it in the hot skillet. 2 minutes on each side and then into a 400 degree oven to finish it off.

I have adapted this recipe.

bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 06:08:03 PM »
I've also done it this way when I didn't feel like firing up the charcoal grill.

Disconnect the smoke alarms.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:44:48 PM »
I have done that also, but without the red wine. It seems the red wine would steam the steak some, rather than bake it.

bob

I think it might. This weekend I'm gonna try it with no wine and very little wine. On the no wine one, I'll probably brush it with additional butter or olive oil while it bakes.

I've heard about what Brad said on searing. On the grill, I don't really bother with the "sear on high then cook on low" thing. I just get the grill where I want it and throw the steak on. I have a cast iron plate for my grill and often throw the steak on that versus the actual grill, so technically you could say I'm frying the steak on the grill, but I find it comes out a little more evenly cooked when I do so, and I get a nice, thin, even brown semi-crust.

I did the pre-sear here just because I wanted to stick with the recipe the first few times.

With the searing done quickly and first on this recipe, there was no crust at all. I might actually also try a quick post-bake sear for a crust just to see what it's like. I'm gonna be eating a lot of steak this weekend.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:50:37 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 07:15:22 PM »
Alton Brown made some kind of contraption with a charcoal starter. Mimcked the ultra high temp ovens used in bhigh-end steakhouses. I'll try to find a link when I get home.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »
I bake steaks all the time.  Cover both sides with fresh garlic and then pepper until it's pretty much black.  Put it in the oven on one of those racks you can put on a cookie sheet.  That keeps the steak a bit elevated off of the cookie sheet and cooks better.  Drop temps and let it cook longer for extra awesome. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 10:21:09 PM »
My parents cook steak in their big green egg clone. It's basically like baking only with more smoke. The results are good if different. I have a friend who insists that sous vide cooking steak is the best possible way but the results are not appetizing to look at. I would have to flame-sear it before eating just to make it look cooked.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 11:49:46 PM »
I do a baked steak.  I like to reduce a couple cups of red wine with sliced mushrooms on the stove and serve it (thickened a bit with flour.  A proper roux seems to get gummy in wine. Maybe I do it wrong.) over the steak and mashed potatoes.  Sub white wine with pork chops.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 12:54:18 AM »
You'll often see it done this way in better restaurants.  The steak is seared in the pan, then the pan and steak go into the oven.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 05:59:03 AM »

Would be the typical French way of cooking Côte de bœuf (Beef -Rib).
Sear it and then in the oven.

Scout - your fake Italian is a lousy cook : Don't boil the potatoes before you put a herb mix on it, taters will be tasteless
and either only one herb at the time (rosemarin) or Herbes de Provence. Less heat and more oven will get you the right texture.
Pre-boiling is just how restaurants will do it to save time - the only reason why restaurant food tastes "better" is an obscene amount of seasoning (especially salt) and natural or nature-identical flavor enhancers. Below the "gastronomical" cooks who are really good anyone
who likes to cook could do better than what you'd get in 99 percent of the restaurants. Anybody remembers grandmother's cooking ?
Took a lot of time and that's the secret. The meat that lousy Luigi used wasn't great to begin with, you don't salt it before you sear it, which he didn't do anyway - he burnt it coal black, that's not crusty but cancerous...

He really shoud have been beaten with a wet rag for the "sauce" : Parsil with stems, cooked yoke, capres and anchovis  [barf] 

Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 11:47:17 AM »
I sometimes sear stuff coming out of the microwave with my propane torch.  Been doing that a long time, then saw it on some famous kitchen engineer's TV show.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »
I sometimes sear stuff coming out of the microwave with my propane torch.  Been doing that a long time, then saw it on some famous kitchen engineer's TV show.

I do this with the Christmas ham to set the brown sugar glaze.  The kids love watching this.  I did it a couple of times with my industrial heat gun, and it was not nearly as exciting as the torch.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 04:02:14 PM »
Would be the typical French way of cooking Côte de bœuf (Beef -Rib).
Sear it and then in the oven.

Scout - your fake Italian is a lousy cook : Don't boil the potatoes before you put a herb mix on it, taters will be tasteless
and either only one herb at the time (rosemarin) or Herbes de Provence. Less heat and more oven will get you the right texture.
Pre-boiling is just how restaurants will do it to save time - the only reason why restaurant food tastes "better" is an obscene amount of seasoning (especially salt) and natural or nature-identical flavor enhancers. Below the "gastronomical" cooks who are really good anyone
who likes to cook could do better than what you'd get in 99 percent of the restaurants. Anybody remembers grandmother's cooking ?
Took a lot of time and that's the secret. The meat that lousy Luigi used wasn't great to begin with, you don't salt it before you sear it, which he didn't do anyway - he burnt it coal black, that's not crusty but cancerous...

He really shoud have been beaten with a wet rag for the "sauce" : Parsil with stems, cooked yoke, capres and anchovis  [barf] 

I don't boil the potatoes.  I agree that it ruins them.  I simply peel, dice and coat with olive oil, rosemary, sage and thyme, then bake. My son absolutely loves them so that's all that matters.

Steaks, when not on the grill, get a thin painted coat of oil, some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.  Seared in a pan (2mins per side) then put in the oven until 130F on the thermometer. 

And I do believe that he's a real Italian.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 04:08:49 PM »
Potato recipe I really like:
Cube up sweet potatos.  Throw it in a casserole pan.  lightly coat taters with olive oil and a bit of rosemary.  Mix in some halved pecans.

400F for 40 min, or until potatos are done.  Sprinkle blue cheese on top, serve.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 04:21:26 PM »
Potato recipe I really like:
Cube up sweet potatos.  Throw it in a casserole pan.  lightly coat taters with olive oil and a bit of rosemary.  Mix in some halved pecans.

400F for 40 min, or until potatos are done.  Sprinkle blue cheese on top, serve.

I may try that tonight. Minus the blue cheese, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 04:23:26 PM »
I don't boil the potatoes.  I agree that it ruins them.  I simply peel, dice and coat with olive oil, rosemary, sage and thyme, then bake. My son absolutely loves them so that's all that matters.

Steaks, when not on the grill, get a thin painted coat of oil, some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.  Seared in a pan (2mins per side) then put in the oven until 130F on the thermometer. 

And I do believe that he's a real Italian.

I like that recipe for potatoes, but I don't peel and sometimes I will instead use garlic, pepper (white, red, and black), and salt.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »
Pommes Anna makes a great potato accompaniment to all things roasted meaty and good.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 04:47:30 PM »
I may try that tonight. Minus the blue cheese, though.

I don't actually like blue cheese either, but I do like it in this recipe. 

It's fine without too, though.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 06:27:23 PM »
Found it.  The good part starts at 1:30...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4aI_O8kcN8

Brad
-HankB

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 09:30:02 PM »
So....I guess I don't need to add my George Foreman Grill & brick technique to this discussion, then....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.