Author Topic: Heeeere kitty kitty kitty fishy  (Read 1436 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Heeeere kitty kitty kitty fishy
« on: September 03, 2006, 06:15:07 AM »
Goin catfishin again today cause I didn't catch crap yesterday on the night crawlers or shiners (either alive or dead and the dead ones have normally worked on cats for me) I found a tub of some nice smelly livers some lazy ass had left behind instead of walking it the literally less then 15 feet to a garbage can. Worked out for me though because on those chicken livers I got two nice hits on two livers and one cat about a pound/pound and a half.

So today, I'm heading back armed with the proper armament-

Livers, gizzards, and Alpo prime cuts beef and liver with gravy. For a cat they love that dog food  

One hook with the Alpo food and another with a liver and gizzard sammich, split a gizzard in half hook it, piece of liver, then the other gizzard. Holds it on nice and I've caught several cats before having to change baits that way since the gizzards hold on there like there's no tomorrow.

Five 85 pounders and ten 60 pounders plus a bunch of smaller ones....here I come
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 09:25:17 AM »
Good luck! Out here in Commieland we have no catfish, just seabass and the like.
D. R. ZINN

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 03:52:42 PM »
Quote from: doczinn
Good luck! Out here in Commieland we have no catfish, just seabass and the like.
Where's Commieland?
Don

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 03:58:07 PM »
That'd be Southern California.
D. R. ZINN

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 04:19:52 PM »
I'm surprised.  Lots of catfish in Northern California and I thought I recalled a co-worker catching some in the lakes around San Diego.
Don

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
I may be wrong, actually, I live near the beach and don't have a lot of time, so when I fish it's always saltwater, which of course doesn't have catfish.

I may have to make a trip to a lake. Catfish=yum!
D. R. ZINN

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 07:33:11 PM »
That'd be Southern California
When I was stationed in San Diego, I did two types of fishing, salt water and catfish.

For catfish I went to Santee lakes, Lake Poway, the desert between San Diego and El Centro and fished the All American Canal. That is the water that is pumped through there for irrigation. Actually a lot of catfish in it. I also used to go to the Colorado River, a little site called Picacho  http://www.picacho.statepark.org/aboutthepark.html . There are a lot of catfish in SoCal if you know where to look.

Now that I am in Northern Montana, the catfish are very few and far between.

bob

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 07:54:39 PM »
Quote from: BobR
That'd be Southern California
When I was stationed in San Diego, I did two types of fishing, salt water and catfish.

For catfish I went to Santee lakes, Lake Poway, the desert between San Diego and El Centro and fished the All American Canal. That is the water that is pumped through there for irrigation. Actually a lot of catfish in it. I also used to go to the Colorado River, a little site called Picacho  http://www.picacho.statepark.org/aboutthepark.html . There are a lot of catfish in SoCal if you know where to look.

Now that I am in Northern Montana, the catfish are very few and far between.

bob
Are they smaller in Montana bob? I moved here to Texas from Michigan, and was amazed (almost horrified) by the catfish sizes (one of my neighbors caught an 80 lb'er in our lake, and I saw a news article of a +100 lb'er in a lake near here), and I had always heard of "big" catfish up north as being five or six pounds. I didn't know if it was a case of regional difference in catfish size, or just a different neighborhood and people who were much more into catfishing than they were in west Michigan. One thing I do know - they don't catch those monster Muskellunge down here that they do up north! Matter of fact is I don't know if we have them at all, but if we do they aren't reporting it in the paper as a fishing item of interest.

Lupinus, if you don't mind my asking, what's your general location? I'm not much of a fisherman myself, but a bunch of my friends and neighbors are, and I'd like to pass on your results and advice to them.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 08:19:07 PM »
I don't knoe how big they are here, I haven't found any. I do have a line on some south a couple of hours from where I live. It is a place on the Missouri, below a dam.

I am thinking of gearing up, and going camping for a few days and find out.

They make some big cats in the south. I grew up in Oklahoma and saw two huge fish, one was an alligator Gar that was about 5.5 feet long, and a cat my neighbor caught on a trot line. He said he figured it weighed about 90 pounds. It was a big fish.

I just think the fish are bigger in the south, as long as the water temp is above 70 degrees or so, all they do is eat. When they eat, they grow. Up here the water temps gets fairly cold, and then the runoff from the snow keeps it down.

But we do have trout, and south of me is the Kokanee Salmon. A small landlocked salmon that is great smoked.

bob

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 08:21:04 PM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
Are they smaller in Montana bob? I moved here to Texas from Michigan, and was amazed (almost horrified) by the catfish sizes (one of my neighbors caught an 80 lb'er in our lake, and I saw a news article of a +100 lb'er in a lake near here), and I had always heard of "big" catfish up north as being five or six pounds. I didn't know if it was a case of regional difference in catfish size, or just a different neighborhood and people who were much more into catfishing than they were in west Michigan. One thing I do know - they don't catch those monster Muskellunge down here that they do up north! Matter of fact is I don't know if we have them at all, but if we do they aren't reporting it in the paper as a fishing item of interest.
I'd chalk that up to different species of catfish, of which there are a few.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 10:57:06 PM »
Y'all look up "noodling," if you really want a laugh.
D. R. ZINN

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 03:56:16 PM »
Quote from: lupinus
Five 85 pounders and ten 60 pounders plus a bunch of smaller ones....here I come
Damn the biggest cat I have ever caught was a flathead that was just under 30lbs.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 04:53:57 PM »
I have a pet flathead that I raised from minnow size. He's about a foot long and eats small bluegills.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 06:20:29 AM »
RE: northern rivers
The big, northern rivers often produce large cats, especially below reservoirs.  

Re: Cat bait
Shrimp.  Go the the local grocery store and get some fresh *uncooked* shrimp.  Best catfish bait out there.  It has always been my top producer.  And, it's more pleasant to use than alot of other baits.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 06:30:03 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
Shrimp.  Go the the local grocery store and get some fresh *uncooked* shrimp.  Best catfish bait out there.  It has always been my top producer.  And, it's more pleasant to use than alot of other baits.
I bet carp like it too
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 09:55:27 AM »
Quote from: charby
Quote from: JamisJockey
I bet carp like it too
I've always caught my biggest carp when fishing with chicken liver, shrimp, or worms....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”