Author Topic: Atkins ideas  (Read 3508 times)

doczinn

• friend
Atkins ideas
« on: September 04, 2006, 03:41:30 PM »
Just started that Atkins diet, and I'm gonna give it 2-3 weeks to lean up, before I'm too far gone. The problem is that it's day 2, and I've already run out of ideas. Most of the things I love to eat are starch-based or sugar filled, and I can only eat just so many eggs.

HELP!
D. R. ZINN

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Atkins ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 03:47:51 PM »
I reccomend the olive gardens never ending pasta bowl
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Atkins ideas
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 03:52:46 PM »
cheese, chicken, beef, pork, lettuce, deer, lamb, salad dressing, squirrel, broccoli, carrots, turkey, elk, bison...  

that should get you a few more days, then you can eat cat or dog

make sure to eat some lettuce or you'll get constipated.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Atkins ideas
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 04:04:26 PM »
Pork rinds with cheese in a can squirted into them.

Well, it is Low Carb!

bob

brimic

• friends
Atkins ideas
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 05:11:23 PM »
4-5 lbs of beef jerky + Ex-Lax.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

hoppinglark

• http://www.angelfire.com/journal/slingshot70/index.html
Atkins ideas
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 05:27:03 PM »
my personal recomendation is to get off the Atkins diet

Silver Bullet

• friend
Atkins ideas
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 05:46:13 PM »
I know folks who achieved remarkable results with Atkins.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Atkins ideas
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 05:48:20 PM »
If you really, really feel compelled to diet, take a look at the south beach diet.

Although the one guaranteed way to lose weight is known to us all.

Eat less, exercise more. Sounds simple, but really isn't.

bob

mustanger98

• friend
Atkins ideas
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 06:14:27 PM »
I tried the South Beach Diet a while back and gained 10lbs.

Heard Atkins Diet'll kill ya'.

I figure "diet" is just "die" with a "t" any way you look at it.

Silver Bullet

• friend
Atkins ideas
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 06:23:56 PM »
I looked at South Beach very briefly (an ad, or something).  Isn't it very similar to Atkins' low-carb  approach ?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Atkins ideas
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 06:36:42 PM »
I never cared for the atkins diet personally.  Your body needs starches and so long as you eat a well balaced diet you will be fine and deleting one of the things your body needs never seemed like a good idea to me.

Plus (and no way saying you plan to) I have seen a lot of stupid atkins dieters.  I remember one time seeing a guy at a hot dog truck stand down four hot dogs each one drenched in baked beans and figured it was fine cause he didn't eat any buns.  

Yeah he might drop a few pounds but he is also going to keel over at 40 from a friggin heart attack.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Atkins ideas
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 07:02:51 PM »
My sister about killed me when I tried the Atkins Diet a couple years ago.  She's a UW Hospital staff dietician, and tore into both myself and my wife when she found out that I had started it.  I'd never seen her so pissed-off.

She was right.  Atkins does work, but you'd best be prepared to stay with that diet the rest of your life, period.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Atkins ideas
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 08:20:25 PM »
Atkins/SouthBeach/ProteinPower are all basically the same thing.

And your body does NOT need starch/carbs... You cut out protein, you die. You cut out fats, you die. You cut out carbs, you get really, really grouchy for a few days. More if you're female, it's "that time," and chocolate is a crutch...

Pepperoni works for me. I also like pepper cheese, or for that matter, anything spicy.

Most dieticians are preaching the same thing that they've always preached. Ever LOOK at hospital employees? Those folks are in trouble... I'll guess that a larger percentage of 'em are overweight compared to the regular population. And hospital food? Let's be serious...

Stay away from sugar, starches (carrots not good...), etc., and just try to think "Hey, if it was 5000 years ago, and I was living on the plains, what would I eat?"

For long term, since I have diddly for willpower, I like a cyclic ketogenic diet... Weeks, I behave... Weekends, well, they're open... But you've gotta work out.
Blog under construction

stevelyn

• friend
Atkins ideas
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 11:57:15 PM »
Quote from: Bogie
Atkins/SouthBeach/ProteinPower are all basically the same thing.

And your body does NOT need starch/carbs... You cut out protein, you die. You cut out fats, you die. You cut out carbs, you get really, really grouchy for a few days. More if you're female, it's "that time," and chocolate is a crutch...

Pepperoni works for me. I also like pepper cheese, or for that matter, anything spicy.

Most dieticians are preaching the same thing that they've always preached. Ever LOOK at hospital employees? Those folks are in trouble... I'll guess that a larger percentage of 'em are overweight compared to the regular population. And hospital food? Let's be serious...

Stay away from sugar, starches (carrots not good...), etc., and just try to think "Hey, if it was 5000 years ago, and I was living on the plains, what would I eat?"

For long term, since I have diddly for willpower, I like a cyclic ketogenic diet... Weeks, I behave... Weekends, well, they're open... But you've gotta work out.
Agreed. I've been doing the Atkins thing for a couple of years now and it's been great. I do slip now and then and get a few more carbs than what I want. Potatoes are my weakneass. I don't miss the sugary crap, the high fructose corn syrups (worse than chain smoking) the starches, breads and trans fats.

I eat a lot of meat, cheeses, and enough smoked, dried and kippered salmon that I feel like going for a swim upstream.

Once you're off the induction phase you can add carbs until you reach the point you're not losing or losing slowly. Also the type of carbs are important. Carbs from veggies including the errant potato = not as bad. Carbs from sugars, refined flours/starches = bad.

The worst thing about Atkins, ProtienPower, Sugar Busters, Neanderthin, et al, is that your meals and snacks need a little pre-planning. But they're doable.

One other thing: Splenda, Splenda, Splenda. The absolute best thing to happen to diabetics, disgusting fat bodies and this planet.
I have replaced all my sweeteners with Splenda and try to buy only products that are sweetened with it including Pepsi One and Blue Bunny "No Sugar Added" ice cream.
Even aspartame (Nutrasweet/Equal) is poisonous.

Don't let the detractors get you down.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Atkins ideas
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 01:18:57 AM »
I don't care what diet you're on, I don't like any of them. I will admit, every Atkins dieter I know showed an impressive weight loss at first but now they're all back to where they were or worse. It's the word "diet" that I don't like. A "diet" gives the impression that you will go on this diet, lose weight to your goal and then go back off the diet. It doesn't work that way.  The changes you make in your eating habits have to be life long, they never end. There is no way you can spend the rest of your life eating nothing but meat products and lettuce. You have to cut out all the excess empty calories in your diet. LIMIT your "bad" carbs intake but don't eliminate them. Drink water instead of anything sweetened. Cut the amount of sugar you put in your coffee. Get out and walk at least 20 minutes a day. Eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning. Have the wheat bagel at Dunkin Donuts. Mix the wheat pasta with the white pasta. Give yourself a day off once a week. The whole story revolves around calories in vs calories out. Your body doesn't care where the calories come from. If you put in more calories than you burn off every day you gain weight. If you burn more calories than you take in every day then you lose weight. Learn to count the calories. You'll quickly see how many empty calories are in that Twinkie vs how many fewer and more nourishing and satisfying calories are in an apple or that bowl of oatmeal. Once you start doing that it will quickly become very clear to you where you have been making your mistakes. 2000 calories worth is actually quite a lot of good food but not very much at ALL when it comes to junk.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mfree

• friend
Atkins ideas
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 05:08:19 AM »
Seems to me that everyone starts out on the Atkins plan without ever really knowing what the hell it is.

Anyhow, I was on Atkins for a while. Lost 20 pounds, I did, and the only reason I had to quit the diet is because it's so darned expensive to keep myself in meats and sugar-free items. There were, and would have continued to be, plenty of fresh vegetables in my diet... in fact, more than I'm eating now in my impoverished state.

The amount of sugar we have available in food these days isn't natural, period. Lay off. Same with the HUGE amount of salt.

280plus

• friend
Atkins ideas
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 05:31:35 AM »
Yea, salt is another thing. Start paying attention to how much SODIUM is in the processed foods we buy every day. Once I started looking I was SHOCKED! Get a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese and see how much sodium is in that stuff. It's mind boggling. I ask for low salt cold cuts at the store and they look at me like I'm from outer space.

hoppinglark

• http://www.angelfire.com/journal/slingshot70/index.html
Atkins ideas
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 07:51:28 AM »
People lose weight on atkins
People also lose weight with cocaine

I reccomend neither.

mfree

• friend
Atkins ideas
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 07:59:02 AM »
Right, right. The news said "Atkins bad!" and therefore it, and a couple hundred people who decided to eat all the fat they wanted without even taking a glance at what their veggie intake ought to be, are gospel.

I should start quizzing people to see if they even know.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
Atkins ideas
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 08:09:29 AM »
Okay... Let's look at the average dietician-friendly "long term" diet...

Ever look at the people who shop in health food stores? Those folks DO NOT look healthy... But they're eating LOTS of veggies, and lots of carbohydrates...

Drug companies LOVE carbohydrates... Cholesterol elevation is a byproduct of fat storage from sugar. Yeah, that cup of sugar soda is fat free, and cholesterol free, but when it hits your liver, blammo... Only a small percentage of cholesterol elevation can be attributed to dietary cholesterol, yet we are bombarded with "cholesterol-free" foods.

My girlfriend was in the hospital for a couple of weeks. She is not normally diabetic. They had her on a feeding tube (GI surgery) and various IV drips. All with sugar... And they were feeding her insulin to counteract that... They looked at me like I was insane when I suggested that instead of feeding her a glucose drip (essentially just to keep an IV open and maintain hydration) that they switch to something that wasn't sugary... It's like they want to play with the patient's metabolism so that THEY can regulate it, rather than let the patient do it naturally...

Most people who don't like the low-carb diets don't even know what they are...

Most people who don't like guns have never even been to a range.
Blog under construction

280plus

• friend
Atkins ideas
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 08:13:50 AM »
Darned if I didn't just see a talking head dietician mimicing my every word on the boob tube. He phrased it as, "You shouldn't think about it as "I need to be on a diet." You should think of it as "I need to modify my eating habits and eat sensibly." Granted some people will be the exception to the rule and have permanent success with these various trends. But most will not. It won't happen overnight either. If you've had many years of bad eating habits that have continually been reinforced it will take years to undo. So try not to get discouraged. That's probably the biggest part of it. It' takes time, don't give up.

Trisha

• friend
Atkins ideas
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 08:44:07 AM »
There are good views here, good ideas, too.  We've seen the Atkins method work wonderfully for some up here in emergency services.  We've seen some develop near-fatal adverse reactions to Splenda, too.  

The two aren't related beyond some seem to seek out Splenda because they're cutting sugar. . .

My weakness is baking.  I've been making bread from scratch once a week - and my goal is to make it once every two, and make one loaf, instead of two.  

Best wishes for the success you seek!
and cello sonatas flow through the air. . .

"Diversity is our strength!"

doczinn

• friend
Atkins ideas
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 04:24:26 PM »
Yeah he might drop a few pounds but he is also going to keel over at 40 from a friggin heart attack.
I'm well aware of the dangers long-term. I actually pretty well normally, and the extra weight I want to drop took a while to gain, so this is a temporary thing to drop a bit and then eat normally again.

A "diet" gives the impression that you will go on this diet, lose weight to your goal and then go back off the diet.
Since my regular diet is fairly healthy, that's exactly what I plan to do.

My regular diet includes a lot of bread, potatoes, rice, chicken, not enough fruits and vegetables but some, and  probably a little too much sugar, but nothing ridiculous. And not in the coffee.
D. R. ZINN

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Atkins ideas
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 05:18:23 PM »
Ok, so one thing's for certain.

Bogie has an axe to grind with dieticians.  

And/or the medical profession in general, from the looks of it.

Guess I'll tell my sister she doesn't know her ass from a hole in the ground, and also ask her why she's not obese like every other dietician Bogie's seen.

Myself, the 20+ pounds I've dropped since retiring from the USAF based on her recommendations to do portion control, switch to turkey burger/bacon/bratwurst, substitute whole grain cereals and breads, and lay off the several Mountain Dews a day is just a figment of my imagination.

I did the Atkins thing, caught her wrath, and sure as hell, gained every ounce of weight back once I quit it.  I was going stark raving nuts on that "diet", and couldn't exercise enough to prevent the weight coming back once I gave it up.  

I'm sure there are indeed folks who've kept the weight off with Atkins.  I'd also like them as a group to undergo a Doppler Ultrasound or do a cardiac stress test after gnawing on all that fatty protein.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
Atkins ideas
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 06:18:13 PM »
People seem to think that the Atkins way of eating involves bacon and eggs three meals a day... Wrong.

The one thing that _is_ done is avoidance of starches, which just end up being stored as fat.

Frankly, I think that in the middle of the last century, back when everyone was happily marching to the new frontier in lockstep, and the government knew what was good for you, and the "food pyramid" was introduced, nobody really paid a lot of attention to the concept that grain producers had a good sized lobby in Washington... Personally, I think the thing is upside down. Eat enough protein. Eat enough fat. Notice I'm not saying "overeat" protein or fat. And THEN eat whatever carbohydrates that you require to come to your calorie-balance.

I mean, sheesh... My girlfriend acts like the kids are gonna die if they don't get a gallon or so of milk a day... Why? Because she's been bombarded since youth about that... They don't need to eat a lot of the crap that's being pushed. They especially don't need a lot of the pre-prepared crap that's out there...
Blog under construction