Author Topic: Amazon PrimeAir delivery.  (Read 6176 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Amazon PrimeAir delivery.
« on: December 01, 2013, 10:45:29 PM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Amazon PrimeAir delivery.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »
Internet is losing the sales tax advantage, and retail has the advantage of instant gratification.

I think Bezos is very serious.

I don't approve of these things operating below 100ft AGL without a dedicated pilot and direct accountability.  Last thing I want is this thing touching down while somebody's kid runs up to touch it, and losing a finger or hand from the propellers.  Auto-pilot to each delivery address, then hover until a pilot is available to handle the package delivery operation.  Then auto-pilot to return.  Amazon wants to auto-pilot the landing on their territory, that's fine.  They cut my Christmas lights or destroy landscaping or crash into a vehicle in front of my house, I'll have Amazon's arse.

But of all the uses of drones out there, this is one that actually makes fricking sense.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 11:33:20 PM »
I just saw this on '60 Minutes'. If I was the Amazon risk manager, I would only let you use the service after you clicked 'agree' on a hold harmless and indemnification agreement to use this delivery mode.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 11:37:54 PM »
If this is real I foresee stolen drones and parts available on eBay quickly thereafter.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 12:23:25 AM »
I just saw this on '60 Minutes'. If I was the Amazon risk manager, I would only let you use the service after you clicked 'agree' on a hold harmless and indemnification agreement to use this delivery mode.

I didn't "agree" when you clicked OK, so who's pulling the thing out of my pool, neighbor?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 12:45:02 AM »
Free packages for whoever shoots one down.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 12:48:01 AM »
I didn't "agree" when you clicked OK, so who's pulling the thing out of my pool, neighbor?

The agreement would generally apply only between those parties signing it.  It would not apply to you as an injured bystander and you will still have whatever rights of recovery as you do now.  In other words, look to the delivery service.  Just as you would if the UPS truck crashes through your fence and ends up in your pool.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 08:26:20 AM »
I'll bet they plan on dropping the packages rather than gently setting them down.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »
1.  It might work fine, but you might need to set up a drop basket or something near roof level which would have some sort of electronically readable address so the drone could confirm it was at the right location.  Maybe some kind of short range RFID tag.  Considering how these packages are treated by FedEx and UPS, I doubt a drop of a few feet into a basket would hurt 99.999% of the lightweight products.  If we had this, can you imagine the post office deliverying the mail the same way?

2.  In my mind, I keep thinking of all the Looney Tunes cartoons where they drop an order in the mail box and a delivery truck drives up seconds later.  Or the ACME packages show up at Wile E.'s place instantly. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 10:57:32 AM »
One package at a time means a lot of drones in the air. Current TCAS and transponders are too heavy for current SUAS to carry, so there have to be some technology changes for miniaturization of those devices, and engineering changes to up the payload capacity of the delivery drones. There's been some progress on transponders, but to my mind, traffic avoidance is more important for this kind of application.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 10:59:48 AM »
Lets skip the issues with liability for now.

What about the freaking weather?  As it is, a person delivering to your door would put it under the porch out of the rain presumably.  This thing would not have that capability. Unless its remote piloted.
I predict delivery to a central location and dispatch delivery from there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 11:08:37 AM »

What about the freaking weather?  As it is, a person delivering to your door would put it under the porch out of the rain presumably.  This thing would not have that capability. Unless its remote piloted.

I think folks are missing some fundamental aspects of the business model.

If you need the item that fast you’re gorram well going to be home to receive it. “Leaving packages out in the rain” or for theft isn’t really going to be a concern.  I suspect the Amazon app on your smarty-phone, or Google-Underwear will have all sorts of beeps-whoops, and “Press Yes to Confirm” activity going on as the drone closes in.

Although as time goes on and if point-to-point drone service proves more economical than trucks/humans, I think MechAg’s idea of a standardized drop-basket on the rooftop etc. has merit.

Worrying where the drone will leave the package is to a degree like wondering why anyone would ever deliver pizza, because it would be cold when you got home. Although the idea of being at work/home to get deliveries is going to start falling to the wayside as well. One can already consider forward-thinking people who get lunch or dinner deliveries at hotels, or parks...

Besides pointing out that this is Amazon’s way of competing with the immediacy of brick-n-mortar stores now that they’re losing the sales-tax advantage, I wonder if commoditized 3D printing being just over the horizon is pushing this as well.  Get the printers working in a few more materials than just plastic, and even the idea of “delivery” is obsolete.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:12:17 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 11:25:56 AM »

What about the freaking weather?  As it is, a person delivering to your door would put it under the porch out of the rain presumably.  This thing would not have that capability. Unless its remote piloted.

Yeah, good point. Most SUAS are also limited to under 25KTS, and I hear the Army is looking at reducing those operational parameters to >15KTS for non-critical ops, and that's with fixed wing. These little rotary guys get knocked all over the place in any kind of wind. Good luck with automated precision landings with current tech in any kind of wind.

Amazon is still smart to get ahead of the curve on it. Lots of changes in store over the next five years. Anyway, current FAA regs require no farther than 1NM from the ground control station and visual confirmation by a live person for SUAS. Until that changes (maybe next year), they're not delivering very far from the distribution center.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »
I don't get how this is supposed to save so much delivery time  ???

They still have to get the package from maybe a couple thousand miles away to within ten minutes range of your house  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 11:33:59 AM »

They still have to get the package from maybe a couple thousand miles away to within ten minutes range of your house  ;/

Amazon has multiple regional distribution centers that serve most metropolitan areas. And they're always building more. Our experience with Amazon as "gunnies", or people with other specific needs or hobbies is not always that of the common 99% users.

Initially it'll be like the argument "Who wants Cable TV, cell phones, high speed Internet? They'll only cover 5% of the country at first..."
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 11:41:23 AM »

Amazon distro centers are like ultramegaWalMarts, filled with acres and acres of the most common predicted purchases for the given distro area.  I get next-day delivery, more often than not, with my Amazon Prime membership.  This is because my distro center has most things, already in Phoenix.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 11:42:11 AM »
Amazon has multiple regional distribution centers that serve most metropolitan areas. And they're always building more. Our experience with Amazon as "gunnies", or people with other specific needs or hobbies is not always that of the common 99% users.

Initially it'll be like the argument "Who wants Cable TV, cell phones, high speed Internet? They'll only cover 5% of the country at first..."

A lot of the stuff we get from Amazon (used books) doesn't come from Amazon.  It's drop shipped from the vendor.

How many people live within ten minutes of a regional distribution center?

Actually, it would make more sense for delivering pizza  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 11:42:35 AM »

Yup.  Amazon is almost as good as "B&M" for me because, with Prime, they're almost always 2-day or better to NoVA.  Unless I'm able to leave right then to hit a B&M storm, 2-day is just as fast.  I've ordered things on Saturday and had them in my hands Monday evening...

Chris

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 11:45:51 AM »
A lot of the stuff we get from Amazon (used books) doesn't come from Amazon.  It's drop shipped from the vendor.

How many people live within ten minutes of a regional distribution center?
Actually, it would make more sense for delivering pizza  :lol:

Most of them. I don't think super fast delivery of $1.00 used books to some guy who lives in Outer Montanastan is part of their business model.  ;)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 11:49:47 AM »
Won't someone think of the poor widdle doggies? They already face enough vectors of torment, and now this?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 11:59:32 AM »
Most of them. I don't think super fast delivery of $1.00 used books to some guy who lives in Outer Montanastan is part of their business model.  ;)

Ten minutes at maybe 20mph cruising speed is only 3.3 miles  ;/

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
Yup.  Amazon is almost as good as "B&M" for me because, with Prime, they're almost always 2-day or better to NoVA.  Unless I'm able to leave right then to hit a B&M storm, 2-day is just as fast.  I've ordered things on Saturday and had them in my hands Monday evening...

Chris

Given work & family schedules, Amazon Prime is faster than B&M, because carving out time to shop might not happen for 2+ days, anyways.  Took me a while to come to that realization and still I sometimes can not wrap my head around that reality.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 12:10:43 PM »
Amazon distro centers are like ultramegaWalMarts, filled with acres and acres of the most common predicted purchases for the given distro area.  I get next-day delivery, more often than not, with my Amazon Prime membership.  This is because my distro center has most things, already in Phoenix.

I've noticed more and more that I'm getting next day delivery, even on Saturday, with Amazon Prime. Despite the standard "the postal service sucks" dogma, most of this next day stuff has been through the Fedex and UPS partnership with the post office, with my stuff being delivered by the mailman. UPS and Fedex seem to have found an efficiency sweet spot between their services and the post office.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Amazon PrimeAir delivery.
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »

Amazon has mini distro centers all over, and they're expanding on the business model for smaller centers. We've got at least two that I know of.

Also, I fully expect it would be limited geographically to those close enough to the shipping point.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 12:33:14 PM »
I've noticed more and more that I'm getting next day delivery, even on Saturday, with Amazon Prime. Despite the standard "the postal service sucks" dogma, most of this next day stuff has been through the Fedex and UPS partnership with the post office, with my stuff being delivered by the mailman. UPS and Fedex seem to have found an efficiency sweet spot between their services and the post office.

Have you seen that Amazon is doing Sunday delivery through the post office?  [http://articles.latimes.com/2013/nov/10/business/la-fi-amazon-usps-20131109  For some reason we are getting the Sunday delivery now here in Cincinnati.  That could be due to the fact that there are major Amazon warehouses in Lexington and Louisville KY which are ~90 minutes from Cincinnati.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.