Author Topic: The Hot Stuff  (Read 1334 times)

Nightfall

• friend
The Hot Stuff
« on: September 06, 2006, 12:13:13 PM »
Anybody got any good, spicy recipes? The kind of stuff somebody like me won't feel the need to drench in Tabasco. Cheesy
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

cosine

• Administrator
The Hot Stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 12:30:48 PM »
Geez, don't you know that ketchup is spicy enough? Wink Cheesy
Andy

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
The Hot Stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 12:33:01 PM »
I have a cookbook at home with a pico de gallo recipe that I like a lot. Here's a similar one:

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/564/pico-de-gallo.html

Ingredients:
3 large ripe tomatoes (fresh, not canned)
3 large cloves of fresh garlic (not powdered)
9 large fresh (roasted) green chiles (New Mexico Big Jims - mild to hot)
2 long sprigs of fresh green onion
1 handful of fresh cilantro (coriander)leaves
1/2 teaspoonful of table salt

Directions:
With a sharp knife, cut skin off tomatoes; chop tomatoes into small pieces; put in mixing bowl. Skin the garlic; crush it, then mince it; add to mixing bowl. Remove skin from roasted chiles; cut into long slivers, then cut slivers into many fine segments; add to mixing bowl. This is the secret of the whole thing: cut the green onion into very, very, very, thin circles; add to mixing bowl. Chop up the cilantro leaves and add to mixing bowl. Add salt to mixing bowl. You will notice that very soon the mixture will begin to bubble (will not explode!) and the aroma will become out of this world!
Note: To roast the chiles, broil or grill them on both sides until blackened. Remove from heat and plop them into a paper lunchbag for a few minutes (so that they steam their own skins off). Then peel the skins away.

Here's a song to put you in the mood.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
The Hot Stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 12:52:38 PM »
try Chamoro (Indigenous to Guam) food.

JAlexander

• friend
The Hot Stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 01:03:24 PM »
Here's the salsa recipe I used to make every afternoon during my brief career as restaurant manager/breakfast cook.  It's pretty basic, and you can always adjust the quantities to your taste.

Four large tomatoes
Two cloves of garlic
Three serrano chiles
One chipotle chile
One tablespoon adobo sauce from the can of chipotles
One good pinch of salt

Throw it all in a blender or food processor and blend until it's smooth.  Then add the juice of one lime.  Adjust from there.  It's been a long time, and the amounts were sort of approximate, but my salsa was always popular.  If you're feeling ambitious, you can always roast one or more of the tomatoes and serranos.

James

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
The Hot Stuff
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 01:58:44 PM »
Here's my recipe for shrimp etoufee that I made last Saturday night:

1 1/2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper (or more, if you really like it spicey)
1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper (or more, etc)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground basil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (I like to keep the amount of salt at a minimum)

1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 1/2 cups finely chopped green onion (or more; they add some "kick")

3 pounds medium peeled shrimp

1 cup flour
ten tablespoons cooking oil

3 to 5 cups seafood stock (if you don't have homemade seafood stock on hand, most fish markets sell seafood clam juice, which also works well; that's what I used on Saturday)

To make the roux: put the cooking oil in a frying pan, and heat on high until adding a "pinch" of flour causes it to sizzle. Slowly add the flour while whisking constantly. Continue whisking until the mixture is medium brown. Don't let it stick to the pan, or it will burn. Immediately add the vegetables and quickly start whisking to keep them from burning, then add the seasonings. Turn off the heat, and continue to whisk until the roux has cooled.

In a large kettle, bring three cups of the seafood stock to a boil, then add the roux mixture a bit at a time, stirring constantly. Add additional seafood stock as needed until the mixture has the consistency of gravy. Remove from heat.

In a shallow baking pan, combine four cups rice with five cups seafood stock. Sprinkle with fingerfuls of chopped celery, onion, and red bell pepper. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, and white pepper. Cut up 1/2 stick butter and mix it in. Cover with foil and bake for one hour.

When the rice is close to being done, heat up the roux/seafood stock mixture until it begins to bubble. Dump in all of the shrimp, and stir until the shrimp have fully plumped. (My wife is the shrimp expert, so I rely on her to tell me when they're perfect).

Put however much rice you want on a dish, and ladle the etoufee over it. Eat immediately.

It's good. This recipe makes enough etoufee for my wife and I to eat for two or three nights.

Shalako

The Hot Stuff
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 02:58:46 PM »
Pico de Gallo

finely dice:
4 ripe tomatoes
1 medium white onion
1 bunch of cilantro
2 jalapenos

Stir in:
juice of 2 limes
dash of salt
dash of chili powder
dash of black pepper
dash of cayenne pepper

Moondoggie

• friend
The Hot Stuff
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 04:47:28 PM »
Habenero.

Grow some.

Handle with extreme caution (gloves, eye protection).

Add limited amounts to any recipie.  Especially salsas.

DO NOT think (even for a second) about ingesting solo/directly...you WILL suffer!

You'll never look at Tabasco the same again.

YEE HAW!!!
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Nightfall

• friend
The Hot Stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 05:58:28 PM »
Some very tasty sounding recipes!

I'm not normally much for junk food, but I tried some habanero chips recently. I love the fact that I can feel it in my nose as soon as I put a chip in my mouth, before I even bite or taste it. Cheesy
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Nightfall

• friend
The Hot Stuff
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 06:04:15 PM »
Some quick reading makes it seem that habanero is for wusses. Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia_pepper

Scoville rating 3 times higher than the hottest habanero. Anybody here have the guts to take one on? Cheesy

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
The Hot Stuff
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 06:31:05 PM »
I'm not normally much for junk food, but I tried some habanero chips recently.
If those are the Habenero Doritos, they are tasty but have too much acetic acid in the spice mix.  Acid aside, I buy a bag or two when they are are on sale, but its always a race to see who eats 'em first, me or the cat.

Hot food:

Magic Beans

3-5 Anahemim peppers
2-3 Jalapino peppers
1 Habenero pepper

1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
1/8 cup of chopped onions or scallions

2 Tablespoons of Chipolte flavored olive oil
1/4 fresh lemon or lime
NaCl to taste

3 16 Oz cans of your favorite refried beans
Favorite salsa to taste ( I use Religious Experience "The Wrath")
Shredded cheese of your choice

Roast peppers and let cool.  Stem and skin peppers, but keep seeds and placentas.  Chop finely and set aside.  Chop cilantro and onions together and place in plastic or glass bowl.  Pulp lemon/lime over cilantro & onions, mix/mash with spoon, then add chopped peppers and olive oil along with a couple shakes of NaCl.  Leave in fridge overnight to develop.

Just prior to serving, place beans in large microwave save bowl, add pepper mix, stir and heat.  Taste test with favorite corn chip, then adjust heat if needed with salsa.  Heat final time, then top with cheese and serve with corn chips.

These are called Magic Beans since that the game we usually play when eating them, Magic: The Gathering.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.