Author Topic: Movies?  (Read 5339 times)

fifth_column

• friend
Movies?
« on: December 12, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
Anybody else like movies?   =D

Edge of Tomorrow looks like it has potential.  Hopefully it's better than Oblivion.

Out of the Furnace is a must-see in my book.

American Hustle looks good too.

Anybody have any upcoming movies they're looking forward to?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Movies?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 04:58:53 PM »
I look forward to them coming out on DVD. Most of the "blockbusters" I've paid the big bucks to go see, in the last few years, have been losers.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 05:40:23 PM »
Going to the midnight showing of the new Hobbit movie tonight, so I'm looking forward to that
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 06:09:39 PM »
They're releasing a new Godzilla movie in May 2014 . . . in the trailer, it looks like they're sending in the SEALS to cut the giant lizard down to size.

http://www.godzillamovie.com
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re:
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 06:54:50 PM »
Hobbit part two.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 09:37:30 PM »
I like talkies.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 09:56:39 PM »
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty looks good to me.   I have a bit of respect for Ben Stiller and I always like when a comedian moves into drama.  Doesn't hurt that Kirsten Wiig is right there too.

Trailer #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Xk-yTuFEU

Trailer #3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbD7r4-HcWE

I liked them a lot more than the 1st trailer released.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: Movies?
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 11:43:31 PM »
Going to the midnight showing of the new Hobbit movie tonight, so I'm looking forward to that

Very jealous. I saw all of the LOTR at midnight showings... but of course that was before children.  We'll see it in the theaters,  though
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 01:56:38 AM »

Edge of Tomorrow looks like it has potential.  Hopefully it's better than Oblivion.

That does look good, but it makes me think that there are interns in Hollywood that spend ALL day surfing Amazon for obscure Japanese stories to make into movies.  I read that book on a whim in ~2009.  Neat story, hopefully the filmmakers do it right.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 02:22:36 AM »
"Zero Dark Thirty" from last year is really good.

"Defiance", about Polish Jews who hide out in the forest for three years, is excellent.

Angelina Jolie's first directed movie "In The Land of Blood and Honey" is also very good.

"Lawless" is one of those small movies that doesn't get any fanfare, but is pretty enjoyable. It's about moonshiners.

If you like Jason Stratham, "Parker" is pretty enjoyable.

"The Iceman" is a little strange, but interesting. It's a true story about a Polish hit man.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Re: Re: Movies?
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »
Very jealous. I saw all of the LOTR at midnight showings... but of course that was before children.  We'll see it in the theaters,  though

Those were the last really good (IMO) movies I saw in the theater.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 09:11:35 AM »
Saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug last night at midnight in IMAX 3D. It was as good as I expected: which was awesome.

At 11pm there was already a line of about 50 people who had tickets just waiting to get their ticket ripped and enter the theater.

By 11:30, parties of 2 or more couldn't get seats together except for in the neck-breaking lower section.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 09:38:05 AM »
Haven't seen it yet, but will catch it when it hits netflix.

"Defiance", about Polish Jews who hide out in the forest for three years, is excellent.
Agreed!

Angelina Jolie's first directed movie "In The Land of Blood and Honey" is also very good.
haven't seen it.

"Lawless" is one of those small movies that doesn't get any fanfare, but is pretty enjoyable. It's about moonshiners.
This took place in a region where I used to live (and still visit frequently).  I loved the movie.  Tom Hardy was great IMO.

Same as every other JS movie, but a fun movie.

"The Iceman" is a little strange, but interesting. It's a true story about a Polish hit man.
Yup.  Good flick though. 

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 11:45:23 AM »
I was really disappointed with the first Hobbit movie.  I'm not in a hurry to see the second one.  I might see Walter Mitty, on DVD.  Depends on reviews. 

The last movie I went to the theater for was Catching Fire.  I think the movie adaptation has been excellent, and true to the books.  One of the best screen adaptations I've seen in a long while.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 03:58:25 PM »

So it's Groundhog Day with aliens?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »
So it's Groundhog Day with aliens?

LOL.  That's what I was thinking too.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 05:41:25 PM »
Saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug last night at midnight in IMAX 3D. It was as good as I expected: which was awesome.

my daughter and I will go to see the hobbit 2 if/when it hits our local theatre, glad to hear it's worthwhile.  I enjoyed the lotr trilogy, but was hmmmph with the hobbit.  it looks like they saved all the action scenes for the second half.  I'm curious how my arachnophobe will handle the giant spiders........
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 06:15:07 PM »
I saw Ian McKellan on some late night show (his was the only part I watched) and he said there were to be 3 Hobbit films total.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »
Hobbit #2 is worth seeing.  Peter Jackson went too Hollywood for my tastes, but still a good flick.  And what is with the elf/dwarf/elf isosceles love triangle?  Smaug is the shinola.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 09:22:18 PM »
Blockbuster went bankrupt, so I'm trying Redbox. I rented World War Z and White House Down. Both eminently forgettable.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 09:56:52 PM »
"Olympus Has Fallen" is a much better example of the "White House Down" genre.

I just finished watching "The Purge" a few minutes ago. Craptastic.

"Reds 2" is next on the Netflix Queue.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 11:46:36 AM »
my daughter and I will go to see the hobbit 2 if/when it hits our local theatre, glad to hear it's worthwhile.  I enjoyed the lotr trilogy, but was hmmmph with the hobbit.  it looks like they saved all the action scenes for the second half.  I'm curious how my arachnophobe will handle the giant spiders........

This is the second third :)
Charles Babbage

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 12:13:52 PM »

I watched it a couple of nights ago. Really understated, and not your typical mob hitman movie.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 12:29:01 PM »
I was really disappointed with the first Hobbit movie.  I'm not in a hurry to see the second one.  I might see Walter Mitty, on DVD.  Depends on reviews. 

The last movie I went to the theater for was Catching Fire.  I think the movie adaptation has been excellent, and true to the books.  One of the best screen adaptations I've seen in a long while.

I refuse to see The Hobbit as a trilogy.  When it is released as a DVD or Blu-Ray boxed set, I will watch it in one sitting.  But it's intended to be a children's fantasy tale, with cupidity and naivete a dominant theme.  I think I'll be disappointed with this treatment of the story, bringing in too much of the Silmarillion and the War of the Rings into this story.  I greatly applauded Jackson's treatment of LoTR, but I fear for the health of the story of the Hobbit.

Catching Fire was effing awesome.  This series is today's Star Wars.  And I think this second installment is likely to be remembered by purist-fans of the series as the best of the 3 movies, much like Empire is considered the best of the Star Wars Trilogy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »
I am excited to see Catching Fire. I am undecided on their decision to split Mockingjay into two films, though enough happens in the book that if they keep up the awesomeness I'm sure they will do it justice.