Author Topic: The Internet, Circa 1981  (Read 3636 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Internet, Circa 1981
« on: December 17, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
When The Elders of the Internet were The Youngsters of the Internet:

http://www.wimp.com/theinternet/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: The Internet, Circa 1981
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »
that's when dial-up meant "dial"-up.   :lol:
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »
BBS, really.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »

Yeah, I almost thought they got the date wrong until I saw it displayed in the video. I seem to recall we had already moved to pushbutton phones at home by the late 70's. I would have thought big newspapers would have done so too. I thought the Apple II and Atari 400s had come out around 81-82 as well. It's interesting to look back and see just how quickly personal and business computing and the Internet advanced in that decade.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:23:45 PM »
computers were still foreign enough that the announcer called the monitor a television.   :lol:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »
In 1985 my college finally brought terminal access to the VAX mainframe to each of the houses on campus.

Via 300 baud acoustical couplers...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 02:00:42 PM »

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »
And the interwebz is now putting those same papers out of business.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 02:15:32 PM »
And the interwebz is now putting those same papers out of business.

Given some of the newspaper names I saw in the video, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people.  =D

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »

And at only two hours to download the entire newspaper, it must have been a blazing 28kbs!  Hardly enough time to start it up, do the laundry and grocery shopping before the paper is ready to read.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 03:02:30 PM »
And at only two hours to download the entire newspaper, it must have been a blazing 28kbs!  Hardly enough time to start it up, do the laundry and grocery shopping before the paper is ready to read.

stay safe.

28.8k wasn't available until the early 90's. in 81 it would have been 300 baud.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 03:44:38 PM »
wasn't that guy with the beard al gore?   :angel:

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 05:52:06 PM »
28.8k wasn't available until the early 90's. in 81 it would have been 300 baud.

with acoustic coupler.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 06:15:15 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »
The 2-3000 computer owners in the bay area.  :O
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 06:26:57 PM »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 07:05:30 PM »
"We're probably not going to lose a lot..."

Oh, yes you will.  :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 03:05:09 AM »
Had one of the Radio Shack Model 100 laptops for a while:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Radio_Shack_TRS-80_Model_100.jpg

Kind of nifty with an acoustic- coupled modem (300 baud).  Ran on 4AA cells.  Cassette tape "mass storage."

As the Wiki article on it says...

[QUOTE[When introduced, the portability and simplicity of the Model 100 made it attractive to journalists,[5] who could type about 11 pages of text and then transmit it using the built-in modem and TELCOM program for electronic editing and production. The computer is silent when it operates.[/QUOTE]

One of the other reasons journalists liked it was they could buy 4 AA batteries just about anywhere and could easily find a phone to file their reports --even overseas in remote areas.

I liked to go sit on a rock somewhere and compose crappy poetry on it.

Six million made.

As of about 15 years ago, at least one LEO was shown in a local newspaper picture as writing his report at some crime scene with one on the hood of his car.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 03:20:56 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 04:12:53 AM »
Commodore 64 with a cassette tape "drive". We would type in programs that were pritned in computer magazines. Take us a week or so of entry then some debugging time to fix the mistakes and typos. Just so we could play a text based ascii graphics game. Later I scored a used 300 baud Hayes modem and discoverd the bbs scene. I really thought I was up town when I bought  an Amiga 500 and a 2400 baud modem.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 09:11:21 AM »
Commodore 64 with a cassette tape "drive". We would type in programs that were pritned in computer magazines. Take us a week or so of entry then some debugging time to fix the mistakes and typos. Just so we could play a text based ascii graphics game. Later I scored a used 300 baud Hayes modem and discoverd the bbs scene. I really thought I was up town when I bought  an Amiga 500 and a 2400 baud modem.

My generation did that with the TI-81. I was a hotshot and got the TI-82, with ten times the memory.

https://gist.github.com/mattmanning/1002653

The shocking game of my generation. GTA for calculators.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
The first game I ever played, circa 1977. No monitor, just rolled paper in front of a terminal keyboard:

http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/uses-math/games/other/wumpus.bas

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »
The truly hilarious thing about 300 bps modems was that when you took away control bits, parity and whatnot, it was around 30 characters per second.

I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 10:36:06 AM »
1980s to 1990s...

Apple had donated IIe s to the local school in a very smart marketing ploy, and that's what my older son was learning on, so we (Wife1 and I) bought two, one for us, and one for the kids and I put my TI 99 4a away in storage.

By then I had learned TI's BASIC, and I was amazed when my son came up with a solution to a programming problem in AppleSoft, Apple's version of BASIC.  He had been forging ahead at school with his friends, learning programming, and was actually ahead of me with a lot of techniques.

Hence the amazement.

When I moved out after the divorce, I resurrected the TI 99 and bought a peripheral box for it with plug-in slots for modem, extra memory, 5 1/4" drives, a thermal printer interface and some other stuff.

That thermal printer sucked, since it printed out on a thermal tape only about 4 inches wide, which made word-wrapping a real problem in reading the printouts.  Besides being sensitive to any heat source.

Like sunlight.

The peripheral box had its own power supply and sat on the floor of my ham shack (an extra bedroom in my newly-bought "temporary" mobile home) and man, oh, man I burned up the dial-up BBSs with it.

I also generated a ballistics program in BASIC based on Ingall's tables, which worked fine, but accumulated errors based on rounding and single-precision numbers made it slightly inaccurate compared with published tables.  Like all my trajectories were off by 1/2" to an inch at 100 yards.  But it worked!

I finally recovered one of the Apple 2es from Wife1 and with a new NLQ ("Near Letter Quality") printer I could finally get back to sending out correspondence on real 8 x 11 fanfolded paper.

The "Near Letter Quality" printing was accomplished by backspacing over each line and re-printing with the printing head offest slightly by half the width of each dot.  

So each line would be printed twice.  Real slow, but the results didn't look bad at all if the ribbon was fresh, and the NLQ function could be switched off for faster printing.

Previously, I wrote correspondence on a wide-carriage IBM Selectric typewriter.  ( I sometimes wish I still had that Selectric.)

When I remarried, Wife2 had a Xerox PC (IBM-based) machine which threw me a little because it booted off discs, whereas the Apple had its system built right into ROM on the mother board and was ready-to-go as soon as you turned on the power and the green screen monochrome monitor lit up. I bought the Xerox PC from Wife2 for $100.

But I learned how to handle it, and using Procomm, I transferred all the data on my Apple discs to the IBM, directly from the modem on the Apple to the modem on the IBM with just a regular telephone extension cord.

At 1200 baud!  Took a while, but 1200 was the "screamer" of the day, as least as far as my own equipment went.

Later on I donated that machine to the Xerox Museum in New York.  It was one of the first, if not the first, machine to use an LCD monitor.  They paid the shipping.

I still have the original Apple 2e with CRT monitor and two floppy drives tucked away in storage, but don't know what to do with it.  (I also have a IIg --same story.... what do I do with it?)

Terry, 230RN

Pic of that Xerox machine with the LCD monitor.  Note that the mouse plugged into the keyboard.  The chart stuck onto the "box" on the left side was references for WordPerfect commands.  Which I began to call WordSortaOK. :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 11:07:33 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 11:16:31 AM »
The "Near Letter Quality" printing was accomplished by backspacing over each line and re-printing with the printing head offest slightly by half the width of each dot. 

Funny, I still see dot matrix printers at a few businesses, predominately (maybe exclusively) for receipt printing. I didn't even know you could still buy the fanfold paper for them, let alone the printers themselves.

I still remember having my printer stand setup with the paper feeding from behind it, via a Costco (Price Club at the time!) sized box of paper.