Author Topic: Mikhail Kalashnikov Dead at 94  (Read 4905 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Mikhail Kalashnikov Dead at 94
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 12:01:09 AM »
RIP, sir.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 12:35:19 AM »
The AK was adopted mearly two years after the SKS had been.
They had manufactured oodles of the SKS, and then turned around and gave those away like candy in favor of Kalishnokovs design.
I'd say the design has more merit then you give it credit for. Plus, it works. The USSR never really had much intrest in fixing something that won't broke. Why improve it? It did presisly what it was intended to do and the few faults wern't ones the USSR would give a poop about.
It's a basic, simple, tough rifle for peasents turned soliders. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, and in this case, why would you want too?

He isn't knocking the AK's design. The point is that whatever the Soviets used became standard in large parts of the world, not least because they gave materiel to any and all sympathizers. So Kalashnikov's design is really second to the geo-political forces at work.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 04:21:47 AM »
RIP Mr. Kalashnikov.  =(
I vow to get one of your creations some day.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 08:07:28 AM »
The soviets chose not to take royalties on the sale of the rifle.  Matter of fact they provided the plans and technical assistance to all comers.  Mauser's handiwork drew royalties from both sides.  Geopolitical issues provided the demand for the AK.  No royalties sweetened the deal.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 03:05:10 PM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 09:14:44 AM »
He isn't knocking the AK's design. The point is that whatever the Soviets used became standard in large parts of the world, not least because they gave materiel to any and all sympathizers. So Kalashnikov's design is really second to the geo-political forces at work.
Nevertheless, it was a simple, rugged, and reliable design that was easy for the Russian conscript army to use and maintain and proved just as easy to use by various second and third world types all over the world.  Got to give him credit for that.  There are many more accurate semi-auto rifles, but few that are as rugged and reliable. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2013, 11:27:46 AM »
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 11:48:17 AM »
I want one, or three.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »
I want one, or three.

Two are unlucky.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
I don't think it was so much the design but rather Soviet influence on satellite countries that made the design so popular.  When the USSR is handing you printing presses and equipment to make the guns there isn't much reason to try anything else.

Never did figure out why the Czech's went other routes, or rather, were permitted to.  Glad they did though, they came up with some good stuff.

I'm a beneficiary of that.

I picked up my oldest son's gun a couple weeks ago.  He had tastes like mine: high value per dollar.  I just hope having a lawyer in the middle of the process didn't turn a $200 gun into a $500 gun.

This has higher capacity and better sights than my Makarov, and better ergonomics.  It sits in the hand very well.

This will probably never get carried, outside of a TEOTWAWKI apocalypse situation.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2013, 10:36:10 PM »

Exactly.  It's probably not uncommon for a single member of this board to own a Mosin-Nagant, Makarov, SKS, and Kalashnikov pattern rifle.  They're all pretty cheap because the Soviets either built them and gave them away or gave away the machines to make them to satellite countries.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2013, 10:08:02 AM »
I am sorry to see him go. =(
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2013, 01:06:05 PM »
Exactly.  It's probably not uncommon for a single member of this board to own a Mosin-Nagant, Makarov, SKS, and Kalashnikov pattern rifle.  They're all pretty cheap because the Soviets either built them and gave them away or gave away the machines to make them to satellite countries.
Would a CZ 83 substitute for the Makarov?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2013, 07:25:43 PM »
Would a CZ 83 substitute for the Makarov?

Handily. 

I ran a couple magazines through my son's CZ-82 today.  I'd forgotten how much 9x18 kicks in a straight blowback gun.

The light shining down the bore of the polygonally rifled barrel is fascinating and  beautiful.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2013, 07:35:47 PM »
Exactly.  It's probably not uncommon for a single member of this board to own a Mosin-Nagant, Makarov, SKS, and Kalashnikov pattern rifle. 

I suspect it would be pretty uncommon for a member of this board to not own at least one of those.  If you count a PSL as Kalashnikov pattern (I do) then I have two, and I don't even like com bloc weapons.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2013, 08:25:32 PM »
I have no interest in owning an AK pattern rifle. I've shot enough to know I don't like them. I had an SKS years ago, but didn't shoot it much and sold it after a year.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2013, 08:34:26 PM »
I have no interest in owning an AK pattern rifle. I've shot enough to know I don't like them. I had an SKS years ago, but didn't shoot it much and sold it after a year.

Filthy Capitalist!   :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2013, 09:11:10 PM »
Filthy Capitalist!   :P

Power to the (rich) people!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2013, 09:55:27 PM »

Shun the unbeliver!!!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2013, 11:13:38 PM »

I wouldn't mind having one but it's not high on the list. I also had an SKS years ago, a pretty nice Russian model. Bought it for $100, sold it for $100
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2013, 12:37:13 AM »
Shun the unbeliver!!!

Honestly I don't care much for the AK as something to just carry around.  A Marlin levergun fits the hand better.

But I'm guessing that Geronimo and Sitting Bull could have made good use of some AK-47s  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2013, 10:34:41 AM »

Right here with you.  I shot both the AK and SKS enough to know that I don't want either. I do have Mosin, simply because Cheap !!! and I'm collecting one of each rifle used int WWI and WWII.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2013, 11:01:03 AM »
Right here with you.  I shot both the AK and SKS enough to know that I don't want either. I do have Mosin, simply because Cheap !!! and I'm collecting one of each rifle used int WWI and WWII.

I enjoy owning and shooting the AK, but it's just not what I want to carry around in the woods or in a saddle scabbard.

I just figured that I ought to have at least one semi-auto rifle.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »
Put me down as another person who doesn't care much for the AK or SKS.

Chris

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2013, 12:35:42 PM »
THE modern human's individual weapon. I don't own one... am I out of spec?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »
Honestly I don't care much for the AK as something to just carry around.  A Marlin levergun fits the hand better.

But I'm guessing that Geronimo and Sitting Bull could have made good use of some AK-47s  >:D
To say nothing of George Armstrong Custer .... ... .   [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero