Author Topic: Starter frustration, need advice  (Read 2395 times)

brimic

• friends
Starter frustration, need advice
« on: December 27, 2013, 05:33:01 PM »
My old pontiac (98 GP 3800 series II) decided not to start a few days back.
I changed the battery out first as its getting a bit old and doesn't seem to hold a charge.
With new battery, starter still isn't turning over the engine.
The starter had been 'feeling' weak over the last year, so I just changed that out too.
New starter, new battery, I can hear the relay engage the starter, but it won't turn the engine at all.
Fearing the worst, I stuck a breaker bar on the the crank, but that turned it over with no problems by hand.

Does the APS colelctive have any ideas on what to try next?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Starter frustration, need advice
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 05:40:48 PM »
The starter is or is not turning  ???

Maybe you have a cable or ignition switch problem, if the latter.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:48:44 PM »
Check your cables and ground connections. A rotted out cable can do that sort of thing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »
Starter isn't turning the engine at all.

Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 06:13:25 PM »
Starter isn't turning the engine at all.

But is the starter turning  ???

Bad flywheel or "bendix" can cause the starter to spin fast without turning engine at all.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 06:55:53 PM »
Check the ground wire between the engine/battery, battery/frame.
Had that happen on an grand prix years ago.
God I hated that car.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 07:19:35 PM »
No, You can hear the starter gear engage the flywheel, but it won't turn the engine.
It makes a single loud 'click' when the key is turned- not the ratchety clicking sound caused by a low battery.

Check the ground wire between the engine/battery, battery/frame.
Had that happen on an grand prix years ago.
God I hated that car.

I'm pretty sure its not the ground. I cleaned the terminal off good and its so tight that I don't think its getting any tighter (or loosening for that matter) without breaking the bolt.
The other day, we were able to jump start it using our truck, today, I tried jumping it again, which did not work- and I had the negative jumper grounded to an engine mount. So I'm pretty sure that the negative cable or grounding is ok, or at least isn't the likely culprit.

I actually hated this car and absolutely wished that everyone at GM would die of some sort  an AIDS related cancer when the intake manifold melted at around 75,000 miles- which it turns out was happening to just about every GM V6 engine made for about 5-6 years after 1997- those that didn't hydrolock at 70mph when coolant dumped into the intake manifold could be repaired at a dealership for around $1200. Unfortunately my wish didn't come true when Bush/Obama et al bailed those effers out. Its been trouble free for more than 150,000 miles since that event.

Barack Obama

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 07:30:19 PM »
IF- the battery is OK, the starter is OK, the starter clicks, and the engine rotates by hand--

you have a current problem-

Check- the cable connections, both ends, ground and positive, and under them at the contact points.

Check the cables inside the insulation (cut the insulation back an inch or two, very often a perfect looking cable will be green with corrosion under the insulation. )

Put an ohm meter on the cables one end to the other and check the resistance-should be near enough to 0 as to make no difference.

My guess is the positive cable is shot, if you tried to jump the car and connected the negative  jumper lead to chassis ground.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 07:33:51 PM »
IF- the battery is OK, the starter is OK, the starter clicks, and the engine rotates by hand--

you have a current problem-

Check- the cable connections, both ends, ground and positive, and under them at the contact points.

Check the cables inside the insulation (cut the insulation back an inch or two, very often a perfect looking cable will be green with corrosion under the insulation. )

Put an ohm meter on the cables one end to the other and check the resistance-should be near enough to 0 as to make no difference.

My guess is the positive cable is shot, if you tried to jump the car and connected the negative  jumper lead to chassis ground.

OK, I'll give that a shot- how much of a pita is it to change one of those?

Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 08:48:56 PM »
The battery cable isn't a big deal to change and they aren't terribly expensive.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 11:43:18 PM »
Turn on headlights. Try to crank engine.

If headlights go dim but engine doesn't turn, you have a very weak battery. If headlights stay bright, you have a starter that's not getting current, or just needs to be replaced.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 12:12:59 AM »
The 'click' is the relay engaging because the starter is a high amperage device and you don't want to route all that power to your steering column.

The repeated clicks on a weak battery is because the voltage drops enough that the relay won't even stay engaged(it's an electromagnet), but the moment it disconnects the load on the battery from the starter drops, giving the relay enough power to start again.

I'm going to echo with 'check the positive starter cable!'.  Sounds like the relay is good, ground is good, positive cable bad.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 12:21:50 AM »
Did you replace the solenoid with the stater?

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 03:40:03 AM »
I'll go with the crowd that it is most likely the battery cables and/or terminal connections. I have a new favorite fix for a lot of shenanigans in the electrical system and that is a 2nd ground from the battery straight to a lug of the alternator. In your case I suspect the pos. cable. I played a similar game once, changed the starter on my GMC Dually right where it left me parked, in a busy parking lot, in the rain, with the front wheel in the apparent low spot of the entire earth since the rain was using my ear for a gutter. turns out Hey!, it was the cable.

Once upon a time I owned a 92-93ish Grand Am and came to discover that Pontiac is merely Lucas of the Great Lakes. So here's the long shot solution if nothing else works. My torque convertor clutch solenoid took a crap once. It's hard to get an automatic home when it is locked in direct drive. Hard to start too.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 09:42:48 AM »
Is the + cable.
My neighbor came over after work last night and helped diagnose it:
Old starter was deader than a doornail
Connected the positive end of the starter to the battery with a jumper cable and she spun.
Picked up a new cable last night, just have to put it all back together this morning.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »
 :facepalm:
The cable I bought was a generic replacement, but the pigtail on it was too small guage wire to splice in.
I spent the morning looking at different parts store, noone had one, stealerships wanted $140 for one and could get it in within a week.
I ordered the correct wire off amazon.
I went out and started to remove the old wire and lo and behold, I found it not attached to the starter. It must have slipped off the screw while I was fumbling around for the nut.
My Dad always told me not to work on cars in the dark, I guess that advice has some merit.
Its up and running now.

Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 06:24:26 PM »
I'm confused. Did you need BOTH a new starter and a new positive cable? Did you replace both?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 08:36:52 PM »
Nope cable was fine, just not connected.

Barack Obama

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »
Ah- you forgot to reconnect the starter cable after changing out the starter? 
My old pontiac (98 GP 3800 series II) decided not to start a few days back.
I changed the battery out first as its getting a bit old and doesn't seem to hold a charge.
With new battery, starter still isn't turning over the engine.
The starter had been 'feeling' weak over the last year, so I just changed that out too.
New starter, new battery, I can hear the relay engage the starter, but it won't turn the engine at all.
Fearing the worst, I stuck a breaker bar on the the crank, but that turned it over with no problems by hand.

Does the APS colelctive have any ideas on what to try next?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 06:04:56 PM »
The old "not plugged in" failure  ???

=D

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 06:26:18 PM »
The old "not plugged in" failure  ???

=D

You can't say "fail".  It might hurt the cable's feelings.  It was "electron transfer challenged".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 07:33:53 PM »
Now, could you go give fistful a jump?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 08:20:37 PM »
Now, could you go give fistful a jump?

Hmmm ...
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »
glad you figured it out........btw, if the car turns over but doesn't start, try adding some gas........... :angel:
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 05:06:37 PM »
glad you figured it out........btw, if the car turns over but doesn't start, try adding some gas........... :angel:

Fuel
Air
Spark

;)