Author Topic: Dads are important. Duh!  (Read 1888 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Dads are important. Duh!
« on: January 05, 2014, 05:59:23 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/06/the-distinct-positive-impact-of-a-good-dad/276874/

Pruett's argument is that fathers often engage their children in ways that differ from the ways in which mothers engage their children. .... there are at least four ways, spelled out in my new book, Gender and Parenthood: Biological and Social Scientific Perspectives (co-edited with Kathleen Kovner Kline), that today's dads tend to make distinctive contributions to their children's lives:

IMHO this should have had the place of honor:

Dad's discipline: Although mothers typically discipline their children more often than do fathers, dads' disciplinary style is distinctive. In surveying the research on gender and parenthood for our book, Palkovitz observes that fathers tend to be firmer with their children, compared to mothers. Based on their extensive clinical experience, and a longitudinal study of 17 stay-at-home fathers, Kyle Pruett and psychologist Marsha Kline Pruett agree. In Partnership Parenting they write, "Fathers tend to be more willing than mothers to confront their children and enforce discipline, leaving their children with the impression that they in fact have more authority." By contrast, mothers are more likely to reason with their children, to be flexible in disciplinary situations, and to rely on their emotional ties to a child to encourage her to behave. ....

I do not see the palm of the hand as the best way to confront your child and enforce discipline.  However, it seems to me that dads are more absolute in the setting and enforcing of standards., and more likely to impose discipline that both addresses the inappropriate behavior (as opposed to how he feels when you do x*) and carries a non-negotiable consequence.

stay safe.

* - With the exception of "Do you know what it is like to have to come home and listen to your mother tell me not only what you did but how she (#@%^*^##@ muttered under his breath) feels when you do that?"
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Dads are important. Duh!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 06:16:06 PM »
(here's your thread drift in the first responce to the OP, bam! Cause that's how I roll)

I always think that the diffrent disapline that most fathers use leads to a sort of right of passage for kids on to adulthood.

The moment where you buck up to dad, you are right to do so, and, as odd as it sounds, I think it's very important. With a good father, it isn't the end of being a dad or a sign of everything going to hell, it's that mark of "OK, you've made this decision based on adult rational thought and, while I might disagree with you, you're an all grown up now."

You don't have that moment with mothers as much, but the moment that you come to a point where you're both willing to defy the patirarch and can do so in a responcible and adult fasion is important.

I imagine, for the dads, it's also rather bittersweet. I know my Dad kind of shook he's head and had a sad smile.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:25:57 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:24:01 PM »
(here's your thread drift in the first responce to the OP, bam! Cause that's how I roll)

I always think that the diffrent disapline that most fathers use leads to a sort of right of passage for kids on to adulthood.

The moment where you buck up to dad, you are right to do so, and, as odd as it sounds, I think it's very important. With a good father, it isn't the end of being a dad or a sign of everything going to hell, it's that mark of "OK, you've made this decision based on adult rational thought and, while I might disagree with you, you're an all grown up now."

You don't have that moment with mothers as much, but the moment that you come to a point where you're both willing to defy the patirarch and can do so in a responcible and adult fasion is important.

I imagine, for the dads, it's also rather bittersweet. I know my Dad kind of shook he's head and had a sad smile.

I always thought my job as a parent was to work myself out of a job  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 07:42:13 PM »
I always thought my job as a parent was to work myself out of a job  ;)
Right on. That and to keep them alive and healthy until they are old enough to figure it out.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:33:45 AM »

I don't recall having any such moment in my life. I don't recall us having any disagreements like that.

Anybody else find this to be a common experience? What sort of things are sons "bucking up" about?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:38:01 AM »

I don't recall having any such moment in my life. I don't recall us having any disagreements like that.

That's because it hasn't happened yet  :P

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 10:40:08 AM »
We got a little angry with each other over politics a few years ago, but I don't know if that really counts. I don't think he ever presumed to tell me how to vote, so it didn't really take any bucking up. We just disagreed. He's always been more third-party than I have.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 11:44:43 AM by fistful »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 10:56:06 AM »
I always thought my job as a parent was to work myself out of a job  ;)

Yep.  What you're trying to do is raise up adults.

it was fun to watch the kiddies try to play off both parents, and throw that right back at them.  "Well, what did your Mom say?"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 11:25:57 AM »

Anybody else find this to be a common experience? What sort of things are sons "bucking up" about?

Among other things, dad was physically abusive till I was a little more than 13.  He was about to beat me one day and I said to him I was not going to let him do it any more.  There was a stand-off for what seemed like minutes but was probably only a few seconds.  According to what my mom told me later I had a look on my face she described as "willing to die".  Guess dad was not.  The physical abuse stopped.  I remained at home for about another year and a half, them moved in with some friends till I graduated high school at 15 1/2.

The Former Daughter declared she was old enough to make her own decisions several times in her life.  She waited till she was out on her own both physically and financially before declaring that she was actually grown up.  Unfortunately, a few years later she started proving that by making life choices that neither I nor G*d could fix.  Not saying that parents should fix all the stuff their kids do/get into but there is a point where being a parent means you realize you need to stop trying if you want to let the kid grow up.  She seems to have survived (as in not being dead and nor being in jail (although came real close a few times).

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 11:41:22 AM »

Yeah, my dad and I got into it about what his yelling (he wasn't abusive at all, just yelled a lot.  as a 17yo I probably deserved it).  There were several me bucking up times till we finally realized we just had to give each other a wide berth till I left.  I left not long after.  With perspective I realized he was concerned about bad choices I was making, and he realized he had to let me make them and learn myself.

We get along great now.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 01:14:59 PM »

Same here. 

My dad is a reasonable, respectable man and was a better than average father.  I was able to appreciate the time and dollar cost of supporting my minor self and was disinclined to be an ass toward the man that had helped raise me.  We had disagreements on things and he fell down on the job in a few areas.  Big whoop.  Being disrespectful to a decent man, under his own roof, who is busting his hump for your upkeep is not something I would think appropriate in any way.

To sum up, I think such a confrontation is unlikely when neither is a chowder head.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »
Same here. 

My dad is a reasonable, respectable man and was a better than average father.  I was able to appreciate the time and dollar cost of supporting my minor self and was disinclined to be an ass toward the man that had helped raise me.  We had disagreements on things and he fell down on the job in a few areas.  Big whoop.  Being disrespectful to a decent man, under his own roof, who is busting his hump for your upkeep is not something I would think appropriate in any way.

To sum up, I think such a confrontation is unlikely when neither is a chowder head.

Good god, why are you people so oblivious?

I didn't say anything about being disrespectful or being an ass.

Actually, the whole point was the oppesite. ;/

The point when you can say to your father "I respect you and your opinion and I love you, but I am doing things my way because of my opinions." is what I am talking about.

Good grief! :facepalm: it is actually possible to disagree with your parents without being a jerk. I feel that to be an adult, at some point you have to. It's not like they can run your life forever.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 06:24:39 PM »

I approach parenting with an increasing and accelerating range of freedom and responsibility that hopefully should avoid that "buck up" response.  Eventually, responsibility will be foisted to the point that the child is expected to accomplish his life with very little supervision.
My kids will also be experiencing a rite of passage at age 13 to open the door to adult hood.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »
the old mans goal was to raise us so we could stand on our own.  it worked a lil faster on me than he mighta liked/planned and i left a lil earlier than most. he eased up on lil bro and he stayed home till his late 20's
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Re: Dads are important. Duh!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 10:30:21 PM »
the old mans goal was to raise us so we could stand on our own.  it worked a lil faster on me than he mighta liked/planned and i left a lil earlier than most. he eased up on lil bro and he stayed home till his late 20's

Yeah I think I would do a better job the second time around.  Just when you have messed up enough to finally get it right they up and grow on you making your new hard won parenting skills obsolete.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 12:10:26 AM »
The point when you can say to your father "I respect you and your opinion and I love you, but I am doing things my way because of my opinions." is what I am talking about.

Good grief! :facepalm: it is actually possible to disagree with your parents without being a jerk. I feel that to be an adult, at some point you have to. It's not like they can run your life forever.

I didn't think you were talking about being a jerk. But I guess I also never felt like my parents were trying to run my life.

Maybe I can't relate to what you're saying, because I find that most changes in life occur gradually, rather than in dramatic moments. "Buck up" seems like a dramatic moment. But perhaps that's not what you meant.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 12:56:59 AM »
Yeah I think I would do a better job the second time around.  Just when you have messed up enough to finally get it right they up and grow on you making your new hard won parenting skills obsolete.

That's one advantage of having 4 kids.  The older onrs get to teach us how to be better parents to the younger ones.
Formerly sumpnz

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 07:32:08 AM »
I sometimes wonder about a genetic component to bucking  up my nephew is a lot like me only not as bad.  my parents first move was to be stricter and that didn't work out real well I responded by getting worse real bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I