Author Topic: Considering a new career?  (Read 961 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Considering a new career?
« on: January 10, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »

"Professional" beggars in Modesto net $182 per hour:

http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-california/santa-cruz/selfproclaimed-professional-panhandlers-net-182-an-hour/-/5738976/23871106/-/4n87fu/-/index.html

The story, while brief, offers some insight into the panhandlers' day.  They even keep logs of the most lucrative times and locations to beg.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Considering a new career?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:29:39 PM »
"To use a child to scam is really, really unconscionable,"

Is it really a scam?

Some panhandlers told KCRA 3 the couple has ruined it for the people who really do need assistance. Thomas, 23, was laid off months ago and panhandles with his dog in the same area as the couple.

Sounds like they are just not doing it right and could learn a thing or two from this couple.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 05:40:14 AM »
I am in no way shocked to find out that you have Romanian gypsies begging in the US as well.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 05:46:38 AM »
The one lady that was possibly a Gypsy got run off by the locals.  And stayed run off.  Which sort of surprised me since the ones doing the driveway sealing scam will come back and get revenge if you call the cops in time.

Several years back the local fishwrapper did a story on a schnorer who showed up and left as regularly as the swallows at Capistrano.  They traced her to her condo in FLA,  She was not apologetic.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 11:44:54 AM »
I am in no way shocked to find out that you have Romanian gypsies begging in the US as well.

They've been here for centuries, and they always act like ... gypsies.

Twenty or more years ago, the state in which I grew up had a very old and obscure law prohibiting "fortune telling." It had been on the books for almost 100 year at the time and had NEVER been used ... until the police in one small-ish city heard about a woman whose job was as a corporate executive but who, in her spare time, would attend parties and give psychic readings. And, from reports, she was very good ... which is why people continued to invite her. She never advertised (this is crucial -- read on).

So two enterprising cops called her, made an appointment, went to see her posing as boyfriend-girlfriend, had a reading regarding the future of their purported "relationship" and, as soon as they had paid her, they slapped the cuffs on her and arrested her under this law. I knew the attorney who defended her, and he got her off by the tried-and-true expedient of asking the judge to read the law.

As written, the law had two parts: (1) It was illegal to advertise to tell the future. The woman didn't advertise, and the state introduced no evidence suggesting that she had advertised. (2) It was illegal to fraudulently foretell the future for money. The state introduced no evidence to suggest that the woman had in any way acted fraudulently. Rather, the state's position was that merely foretelling the future, even if she was 100 percent correct, was prohibited. The defense let the state present its case, then moved for a dismissal. The judge agreed. Case closed.

Here's where the Gypsies come in. Following this case, a consortium of "New Age" bookstores, all of which ran so-called psychic fairs, went to the legislature and asked to have this old and clearly ambiguous law repealed. One of the arguments was that the only prosecution under it in 100 years had failed because neither the cops nor the prosecutor even understood what it said, yet there HAD been a successful prosecution and conviction of two Gypsy women who claimed to have put curses on people and then demanded large payments to remove said curses ... under different laws prohibiting racketeering. The legislature agreed and repealed the law.

So I know for a fact that my old home state has incarcerated at least two Gypsies for doing what Gypsies do.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design