Author Topic: 'Eating rocks may lead to broken teeth'  (Read 2137 times)

Desertdog

• friends
'Eating rocks may lead to broken teeth'
« on: September 12, 2006, 06:52:42 PM »
Warning; may cause laughter.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=51933

Warning: This column may cause laughter in people with I.Q.s higher than a parakeet. The surgeon general has determined that excessive laughing may cause susceptible individuals to fall off chairs and break ribs.

Rowenta irons caution you, ''Do not iron clothes on body.''

Tide boxes remind you that their product makes poor cuisine.

Sainsbury's peanuts carry the stern notice, ''Warning: May contain nuts.''

How did we ever get to the point where utter nonsense is not only allowed, but required? I marvel in dismay at the billions of dollars wasted on whole pages of fine print required in medicine ads that nobody reads. My eyes cross as I read labels apparently required by judges who cannot understand that persons who have learned to read do not need to be subjected to such semantic bilge as:

''May irritate eyes'' (found on a can of self-defense pepper spray).

''Do not use orally'' (on a toilet bowl cleaning brush).

''Not intended for use as a dental drill'' (on an electric rotary drill).

''Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly'' (on a Superman costume).

''Remember, objects in the mirror are actually behind you'' (on a helmet-mounted rear view mirror for motorcyclists).

''Warning! This is not underwear! Do not attempt to put in pants.'' (on packaging for a wristwatch, yes, a wristwatch).

You may wish to take a short break here. I suggest you take some deep breaths and walk outside to check the sky. If it's blue, you're still on planet Earth. But if you read the rest of this agglomeration of fasciculated insanity, you may never quite feel at home again.

Swann frozen dinners once proclaimed, ''Serving suggestion: Defrost.''

Hotel shower cap boxes still offer the no-nonsense announcement, ''Fits one head.'' (Well, there go my fantasies about a big group shower).

A Swedish chain saw label gives this handy tip: ''Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands.''

Boot's Children's Cough Medicine offers the familiar-sounding reminder, ''Do not drive car or operate machinery.''

And this bit of brilliance is from the geniuses at Tesco's Tiramisu Desserts: ''Do not turn upside down.'' As you might guess, they printed this on the bottom of the box.

A Korean firm in dire need of a proofreader gives this precaution for its butcher knives: ''Warning : Keep out of the reach of children.''

Bottles of Nytol once warned, ''May cause drowsiness.''

The manufacturer of a TV remote control gives this notice with a straight face: ''Not Dishwasher Safe.'' Moral: Teach your two-year-old how to read. Soon.

A package of bread pudding counseled, ''Product will be hot after heating.''

Somewhere in a parallel universe there must be consumers who have somehow learned to read yet remain incapable of intellectual functions higher than digesting donuts. I once had a beagle of medium intelligence, and she would not have needed any of the above warnings except maybe for the food label advice. She seldom stopped to read about any food before eating it.

At the risk of copyright infringement from my trusted sources (Ann Landers, The Washington Post, and rinkworks.com), plus certain risks to my readers' grasp on reality, I shall wind down with these final insults to the intelligence of the human race ...

''Eating rocks may lead to broken teeth'' (on Popcorn Rock, a novelty rock garden set).

''May contain small parts'' (on a frisbee). That explains why the darned things won't fly straight for me. I never found those teeny control buttons.

''Do not use the heat gun as a hair dryer'' (on a gizmo that blows air heated to 1,000 degrees).

''Do not place this product into any electronic equipment'' (on a gift basket holding a chocolate CD).

''Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover'' (on shin guards for bicyclists).

''Do not eat toner'' (on a cartridge for a laser printer).

''Not intended for highway use'' (on a 13-inch wheel ... on a wheelbarrow).

''Do not use if you have prostate problems'' (on a box of Midol PMS tablets).

My response to all this? I feel like hunting down the extra-terrestrial beings who have invaded our court system in the disguise of judges ... and getting rid of them in whatever fashion may be the most expedient. Of course, I might have to ignore the sage advice stamped on the barrel of some .22 caliber rifles: ''Warning: Misuse may cause injury or death.''

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 01:57:14 AM »
Those are pretty funny.  

Unfortunately, most of them probably exist because someone once did what they warn you not to do, and lawsuits ensued.

Some other ones I've seen are :

"Do not use while sleeping" on a hairdryer warning label.

"Don't drive in the ocean"  on an old Hyundai Tiburon commercial, where they showed the car, (its name means "shark" in Spanish) driving underwater.

The only one I ever saw that was worded appropriately was an old Chevy Tracker commercial, where the driver came upon a broken down semi-truck and offered to tow it.  The small writing at the bottom of the screen said "Can a Tracker pull a semi truck?  Nah.  See owner's manual."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 02:00:28 AM »
Saw, "Open can befor heating" on a soup or something like that can once.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 04:44:11 AM »
On some spray cleaner of something they had instructions for use.  Step 1 was "remove lid."  Duh.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 05:07:25 AM »
"No purchase necessary, details inside."
Not sure if that quite fits, but man...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 05:21:56 AM »
I have a windshield sunshade for my car which states "Remove before driving."

(For those of you outside the Sun Belt, a windshield sunshade is an opaque, reflective device which is unrolled & placed behind the windshield of a parked car - usually held in place by putting down the sun visors - to keep the intense summer sun from heating up the car quite as much as it would otherwise. Also helps to keep the dashboard from bleaching/cracking.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 05:32:33 AM »
"No purchase necessary, details inside."
Not sure if that quite fits, but man...

Thats known as the shoplifter special lol
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 05:49:47 AM »
IIRC They had to put "Remove foil package before use" on suppositories cause people weren't. shocked

Then I just heard one in a very tacky / will never be posted here email where this lady complained about the taste of the "Kentucky Jelly" at the hospital and showed the doctor a little foil packet of KY. Tongue

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 05:55:38 AM »
''Not intended for highway use'' (on a 13-inch wheel ... on a wheelbarrow).
So much for post-apocalyptic transportation. Cheesy
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 06:09:00 AM »
LMAO...

Cheesy

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 07:06:07 AM »
Quote from: Desertdog
''Do not use if you have prostate problems'' (on a box of Midol PMS tablets).
Well ya see Midol is good for hangovers.... I was introduced to that by a friend.  She was right I mean think about it.  Read the symptoms and then think of some of the symptoms of a Hangover... it works I swear.  You see she didn't tell me what to take just handed me some "asprin"  about 3 hours later when I called her and asked what brand cause they really did help with a hangover she informed me it was a PMS pill...

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 07:20:44 AM »
Seen on assembly instructions:

"It best you be two people."

Translation: two people are required to assemble this product.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 07:29:57 AM »
In the manual for our George Foreman grill:

Do not use this product in the shower

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 07:54:28 AM »
In the manual for our George Foreman grill:

Do not use this product in the shower
I wonder if that also applies to not using it in a rain storm.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 09:32:02 AM »
I have always argued that this is why we have so many stupid people in this country.

Warning labels have skewed the natural process of elimination and has allowed the expansion of defective
genes into the pool of live.

I firmly believe that if someone is stupid enough to brush thier teeth with Preperation H then the deserve what they
get.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 11:46:57 AM »
I wonder if that also applies to not using it in a rain storm.
Did the label say anything about rain storms?  No?  Then duh, it'll be fine.  Just watch the weather reports carefully and stop grilling if it says "scattered showers". Smiley

Warning labels weaken the species.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 12:26:20 PM »
On some spray cleaner of something they had instructions for use.  Step 1 was "remove lid."  Duh.
Oooohhh. All this time I've been puncturing the can with a screwdriver and doing my best from there. I always wondered why they made the top 1/4 out of plastic! Tongue
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 04:47:01 PM »
I firmly believe that if someone is stupid enough to brush thier teeth with Preperation H then the deserve what they
get.
They deserve really tight gums??
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 05:24:39 PM »
No assembly required. Batteries included. Not void where licensed, taxed, or prohibited by lawyers. Valid when combined with other offers or promotions. All coupons valid. No additional taxes or fees. May be taken internally. Symptoms will not persist. Promptly return for refund if not fully satisfied. No essential politicians were harmed during testing of this product. Safety precautions may be disregarded without incurring risk of serious injury or death. Clothing not required. Registration of firearms prohibited. Contents may include content. Product may be used while driving, operating heavy equipment, using electrical appliances, or supervising small children. Unconditional lifetime warranty includes parts, labor, compensation for lost or wasted time, incremental and ancillary damages, and sincere claims of incurred pain and suffering. Meets all minimum daily requirements. Does not cause cancer, irregularity of the bowels, or other harmful side effects. Safe to use during pregnancy. No deposit required. No settling of contents may have occurred during shipping and handling. Will not fade colors or cause elastic to stretch. Objects in mirror are closer or farther than they appear, and may be imaginary. Suitable for children younger than 105 years. Offer valid even after supplies run out. Guaranteed washer-, dryer-, toaster-, radio-, oven-, microwave-, dishwasher-, and cat-proof. Offer may be combined with other offers, discounts, sales, and promotions. Limit one (1) per customer, unless otherwise requested. Certified 100% compliant with all applicable laws. Organic. Manufactured from recycled materials and guaranteed recyclable. Fines not doubled in construction zones. No construction ahead. Speed not reduced ahead. Not entering high wind area. Ice may not be found on bridges. Not entering penitentiary area. Safe to pick up hitchhikers. Actual mileage will never vary. No shrinkage will occur. Colors will not run. Safe to feed animals. No danger of electrical shock, injury, disfigurement, or death. Need not be pointed in a safe direction at all times. Do not refer to user manual. Competent toll-free technical support available at no charge without time limit. Proof of purchase not required. Adult supervision not encouraged. No need to contact family physician or other medical professional if questions arise. Guaranteed stain-proof. Non-habit forming. May be used in bath tub. Unbreakable. No animals were harmed during testing of this site. Safe to place finger on trigger at any time. May be inserted in any direction. Manufacturer assumes full responsibility.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Strings

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 05:25:27 PM »
My favorite was on my first semi-auto pistol: a Ruger P85. Both magazines had stickers that warned "Misuse of this product can result in serious bodily injury". I looked at the clerk at the gun shop and asked if there really were people in the world that stupid. His response? "You're young yet... you'll meet 'em"...

unfortunately, he was right...