Author Topic: Could I survive briefly in space without a space suit?  (Read 2602 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Could I survive briefly in space without a space suit?
« on: January 28, 2014, 06:31:28 PM »
Imagine that I for some reason would have to leave my comfy space station to get to another. Unfortunatly, the two aren't connected, and I don't have a space suit. Fortunatly, they are no more than say 30 meters apart, and they have a rope between them that I can pull myself along by, and I can also hold my breath for maybe 90 seconds. Would I survive this experience?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Could I survive briefly in space without a space suit?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 06:41:01 PM »
Holding you breath in vacuum would end badly,  I'd imagine.  You'd probably have better luck exhaling entirely,  so as to avoid the pressure variable.  

Couldn't speculate on the rest, past the part where it's supposed to be really cold up there  :cool:

*  This could quite possibly be utter BS,  just a WAG based on first aid theory for a sucking chest wound.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 06:41:52 PM »
Thanks!
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 07:31:17 PM »
Imagine that I for some reason would have to leave my comfy space station to get to another. Unfortunatly, the two aren't connected, and I don't have a space suit. Fortunatly, they are no more than say 30 meters apart, and they have a rope between them that I can pull myself along by, and I can also hold my breath for maybe 90 seconds. Would I survive this experience?
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html

Interesting.  Early Science Fiction Author Stanley Weinbaum speculated about this in a story where a astronaut had to get from one spaceship to another (I forget the circumstances exactly).  His answer was roughly the same as this as found in Bedlamite's link.  However it was a little more elaborate.  One thing I recall was the astronaut figuring he wouldn't freeze to death because heat was transfered through convection, conduction, and radiation, and only the last would work in space.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 07:43:55 PM »

Couldn't speculate on the rest, past the part where it's supposed to be really cold up there  :cool:

What would be cold?  There is nothing there.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 07:47:14 PM »
What would be cold?  There is nothing there.

Every time water is mentioned,  it seems like they're after traces of it or ice.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 07:49:57 PM »
There is no such thing as cold per se. Cold is the relative absence of heat.

Does heat radiate away in a vacuum?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 07:54:24 PM »

So, almost certainly not?

Also, would the vacuum eventually suck Jayne out of Serenity's slightly open cargo hatch?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »
Whippersnappers

When I was your age, we had to go into orbit manually... And we didn't have no newfangled spacey suits
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 08:43:53 PM »
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:47:52 PM by sumpnz »
Formerly sumpnz

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 08:48:15 PM »
Short answer: you might make it. You would not freeze instantly due to lack of conduction, although you would probably get some frostbite. Your blood would not instantly boil although you would burst some capillarys (think: your blood pressure is enough to raise the boiling point above body temp). I think your greatest risk would be lung carnage.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:53 PM »
There is no such thing as cold per se. Cold is the relative absence of heat.

Does heat radiate away in a vacuum?

Yup.  Strictly speaking, there's a whole lotta vacuum between here and the Sun.  All we get is radiated heat.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 09:38:59 PM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 10:08:59 PM »
Whippersnappers

When I was your age, we had to go into orbit manually... And we didn't have no newfangled spacey suits

So you were a part of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xJzAYYrX8

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 11:23:55 PM »
Event Horizon has a pretty good depiction of what would most likely happen.

One thing to realize is that you're going to be getting cold not because of radiation, but because of off-gassing of your body's fluids.  Remember swamp coolers?  As the water on/in the surface of your body evaporates it takes more than it's share of heat with it in the process of changing to the gas state.

Also, you won't last 90 seconds by holding your breath because your body isn't capable of holding the pressure difference without catastrophic results(IE blown lungs, esophagus, etc...).  As such, your lungs will be in a vacuum as well, which means that they'll be tossing oxygen in the bloodstream out into space as well as CO2.  Useful consciousness estimated in the upper single digits.

Now, what would be possible would be some sort of facemask system that provides *some* pressure.  You could have some sort of emergency breath mask that seals tight to the face(and probably around back) that would be HIGHLY uncomfortable due to the necessary pressures that provides pure O2 at about 1/10th of an atmosphere and you'd be good for maybe an hour, assuming it has some means of scrubbing the CO2 and the O2 holds out.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 11:30:18 PM »
Short answer: you might make it. You would not freeze instantly due to lack of conduction, although you would probably get some frostbite. Your blood would not instantly boil although you would burst some capillarys (think: your blood pressure is enough to raise the boiling point above body temp). I think your greatest risk would be lung carnage.

There doesn't seem much chance he would make it. If I'm reading that NASA web page correctly, and it's accurate, he would not be able to pull himself 30 meters before he lost consciousness, or at least lost the use of his hands. If he managed to get himself moving in the right direction, fast enough, and if the hatch sealed behind him, he might make it. If there's someone to help him on the other side, or he somehow managed to awake and/or recover on his own. That's a lot of if. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 11:39:39 PM »
If he managed to get himself moving in the right direction, fast enough, and if the hatch sealed behind him, he might make it. If there's someone to help him on the other side, or he somehow managed to awake and/or recover on his own. That's a lot of if. 
We're already iffing Viking into space and you're straining at those gnats?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 12:16:49 AM »
he would not be able to pull himself 30 meters before he lost consciousness,

Space, no gravity or air to worry about?  He should be able to clear 30m in 3 seconds or less, assuming that he has a good platform to launch himself from - anybody capable of jumping in earth gravity is capable of propelling their body faster than 9.8m/s.  Round up, you get that somebody should be able to clear 10m/s with a relatively simple jump.  You want the cable in case you *miss*.

A *fast* automatic airlock is also highly desirable.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 01:01:13 PM »
It depends on whether you're in the movie Outland or if you're in 2001: A Space Odyssey. 
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 01:33:06 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5HOtNcDiCs

Actual case. Or at least as close as you're going to get.

Granted, it's edited for the documentary it aired on, but that's about how long you'll have to function and get yourself into an airlock and throw whatever necessary controls are needed to repressurize. A minute or two more for someone else in a suit or with a manipulator arm or whatever to grab you do it for you and still survive without significant brain damage, assuming you survive at all.

I like the part where he says he could feel the saliva on his tongue begin to fizz and boil.  :P
I promise not to duck.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »
Event Horizon has a pretty good depiction of what would most likely happen.

One thing to realize is that you're going to be getting cold not because of radiation, but because of off-gassing of your body's fluids.  Remember swamp coolers?  As the water on/in the surface of your body evaporates it takes more than it's share of heat with it in the process of changing to the gas state.

Now that makes perfect sense. Loss of heat through boiling/evaporation of our H2O. I knew there had to be a some vehicle for removing the energy.

The radiation from the sun I expect operates at a different spectrum and magnitude than what a human body would give off  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 08:29:25 PM »
The radiation from the sun I expect operates at a different spectrum and magnitude than what a human body would give off  :laugh:
True, but the human body radiates heat too.