Author Topic: The truth shall set you free!  (Read 883 times)

freakazoid

• friend
The truth shall set you free!
« on: January 31, 2014, 12:09:40 AM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dogmush

• friend
Re: The truth shall set you free!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 04:27:22 AM »
Quote from: from article
“There had already been research showing that ... blacks are more likely to be shot, so we thought there must be something happening between the concept of being black and some whites wanting guns,” Monash researcher Kerry O’Brien said in an email to the Daily News.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/racist-white-americans-guns-study-article-1.1503060#ixzz2rxzNutbU

Blacks are more likely to be shot by whom?  That would seem to be an important tidbit before jumping to racism.

(I know the answer, I'm just highlighting that they didn't bother to ask.)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:57:33 AM »
Blacks are more likely to be shot by whom?  That would seem to be an important tidbit before jumping to racism.

(I know the answer, I'm just highlighting that they didn't bother to ask.)

To be honest, I'm not spending the time figuring out the proporitions again, but from what I remember the percentages are that a murdered black male was 90%+ likely to be murdered by another black male. 

Whites were most likely to be murdered by whites, but the odds of being killed by a black male was about double what you'd expect given population proportions, IE there was some 'spillover' effects.

Other minorities were so low as to be statistically insignificant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:11:07 AM »
I don't know much about the NY Daily News. Do they frequently publish articles in praise of racism? I mean, owning guns is a good thing, right? A sign of intelligence, or preparedness, or taking responsibility for one's safety? Or does it just mean that racists are wealthier, and better able to afford guns? (Which is also a compliment to racists.)

Other minorities were so low as to be statistically insignificant.

That's raciss!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 08:19:57 AM »
That “research” would be laughable if it wasn’t for the fact that lots of folks take them seriously.

Two things leap out.  First “Symbolic Racism”.  This is such a leap in logic that it should be seen for the smoke screen that it is.  Second, here is a quote from a caption in the article:

Gallup poll data from 2007-2012 released earlier this year found that 50% of U.S. gun owners are white men and 64% are southern married men. Black gun owners totaled 21%.

Given that the percentage of population that is black is around 10 or 15 percent, wouldn’t that mean that blacks are more likely than whites to be gun owners?  Would that mean that blacks are racist, or is that conclusion only valid if the gun owner is white?

I think a lot of research conclusions, at least the drivel that gets published as news, says a lot more about the researcher’s bias rather than reality.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 04:21:03 PM »
That “research” would be laughable if it wasn’t for the fact that lots of folks take them seriously.

Two things leap out.  First “Symbolic Racism”.  This is such a leap in logic that it should be seen for the smoke screen that it is.  Second, here is a quote from a caption in the article:

Given that the percentage of population that is black is around 10 or 15 percent, wouldn’t that mean that blacks are more likely than whites to be gun owners?  Would that mean that blacks are racist, or is that conclusion only valid if the gun owner is white?

I think a lot of research conclusions, at least the drivel that gets published as news, says a lot more about the researcher’s bias rather than reality.

Don't be throwin' the wrench of logic into the machine!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 06:52:58 PM »
No, no bias there.  ;/ I get the feeling "gun reform" means an erosion of gun rights, and not the reverse. Funny, that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife