Author Topic: Computer network question  (Read 898 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Computer network question
« on: September 14, 2006, 06:56:04 AM »
How do y'all tell if someone is watching your computer usuage?  When I sold computers in a previous life, there was a program called "Ghost" that allowed you to see if someone was watching your screen.

I THINK my bosses g/f and my old manager are up to something on my 'puter.  It my personal laptop, but hooked up to the work network.

Any ideas?
One day at a time.

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 06:57:31 AM »
Check your running services to start.  Other than the remote desktop tool on XP, anything that will allow what you describe will have to run in memory.  Sometimes, it'll hide itself, but I'd imagine they'll use something less fancy.

Chris

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 07:00:19 AM »
Perhaps a screenshot of the process list in the task manager would help us figure out if anything odd is running.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 07:17:21 AM »
I know how to get to the task manager, how do i get a screen shot?
One day at a time.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 07:26:46 AM »
Print Screen key.  It takes a snapshot of the screen and copies it to the clipboard.  Paste it into Paint or soemthing.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 07:41:15 AM »
Better than Task Manager is a freeware utility called Process Explorer. http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html  It will show who launched what processes, and the command line used, what TCP/IP traffic the process is using and a host of other cool stuff.  It will also kill processes that Task Manager will not.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 07:53:55 AM »
Ah yeah, I forgot about Process Explorer.  Good app.