Author Topic: Lawmakers Push to Protect Power Grid  (Read 13270 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Lawmakers Push to Protect Power Grid
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2014, 11:51:55 AM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/williampentland/2013/08/14/redox-power-plans-to-roll-out-dishwasher-sized-fuel-cells-that-cost-90-less-than-currently-available-fuel-cells/

I've been watching developments along these lines closely.

Interesting. I haven't followed fuel cells in a long time. I was looking at them not for use but as a stock investment in the early 2000's, but at the time there was a lot of hype and not a lot of concrete development, so I blew them off and haven't really followed their development since. I always thought the concept was really good, but execution at the time was not. When I first started reading about them, they reminded me of all the Science Fiction I had read with homes powered by nuclear fuel cells. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2014, 03:10:07 PM »
I've looked into the Bloom products.  I like the concept, and the tech, but for a company that's championing cost-competitive power it's sure not very open about the actual price of the units in a typical residential installation.  That alone raises a bunch of red flags for me.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2014, 03:57:28 PM »
I've looked into the Bloom products.  I like the concept, and the tech, but for a company that's championing cost-competitive power it's sure not very open about the actual price of the units in a typical residential installation.  That alone raises a bunch of red flags for me.

Brad

I've noticed that too. From other articles, I've seen estimations of around $20,000, not including installation.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2014, 04:05:44 PM »
I've noticed that too. From other articles, I've seen estimations of around $20,000, not including installation.

So how would the NG cost compare to buying grid electric, assuming you had NG connection  ???

And what would you do with the extra heat in the summer  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2014, 04:08:20 PM »
So how would the NG cost compare to buying grid electric, assuming you had NG connection  ???

And what would you do with the extra heat in the summer  =|

Absorption Chiller?  Of course, that wouldn't be cheap.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2014, 11:59:40 AM »
A follow-up article in the WSJ about the tremendous lead time, cost and shipping time to replace power transformers, and how the grid could be crippled by taking them out. Yikes.

Just in case any potential terrorists were wondering how effective that would be.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »
Do they log that?   Most smaller transformers in plants just have over pressure and maybe low level switches. 

They can log what ever they want to set up to be monitored.
In the buildings I work among other things we monitor for building temp hi and low, fire, smoke, commercial AC, voltage at the regulators and inverters, state of battery discharge, door open sensors, status of cable air pressure systems...
All that and more in addition to equipment alarms and QOS on the data network. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2014, 12:43:48 AM »
Just in case any potential terrorists were wondering how effective that would be.

Because of all the terrorists who eagerly await the Wall Street Journal to tell them how to be terrorists.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Feds Mishandle Power Grid Vulnerabilities Report
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2014, 02:06:45 PM »
Because of all the terrorists who eagerly await the Wall Street Journal to tell them how to be terrorists.

(Bumping the story as this is appropriate)

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/report-power-grid-threats-mishandled

Whether they were waiting for it or not, our intrepid federal government mishandled similar information at the threats posed at specific locations.

Instead of dealing with the issues and protecting those locations, they've made them public....

Eh, close enough for government work. (Who's taking odds on how many people get fired for this? I've got 0 in the pool.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2014, 02:29:19 PM »

I doubt many of them are eagerly awaiting the next issue of Disco World either, but I'd bet if it included a centerfold with detailed Pentagon blueprints, camera and sensor locations, patrol schedules and weakest points, they'd find out about it and add that to their library of potential attacks.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2014, 09:46:08 AM »
http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2023453804_gridsecurityxml.html

The grid can be brought down in many other ways that don't involve shooting at the transformers.  Wouldn't that be one of the quickest ways to disrupt our civilization: impacting the electrical grid for a period of time.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »
The real question they should investigate is where did the terrists find 100 rounds of ammo to buy?   :P   =D
Not a problem, unless it's .22 rimfire.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: Lawmakers Push to Protect Power Grid
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »
http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2023453804_gridsecurityxml.html

The grid can be brought down in many other ways that don't involve shooting at the transformers.  Wouldn't that be one of the quickest ways to disrupt our civilization: impacting the electrical grid for a period of time.

Yes. I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet. My guess is its not "glamorous" enough of a target.

brimic

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Lawmakers Push to Protect Power Grid
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2014, 09:09:55 PM »
Yes. I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet. My guess is its not "glamorous" enough of a target.

Americans can't watch crappily produced of jihadis taking credit for such an attack if the tv doesn't work.
Terror works better when people witness a few broadcasted brutal deaths than several million deaths that iccyr when the comms are down.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama