Author Topic: Is this enough to worry you?  (Read 2545 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Is this enough to worry you?
« on: September 14, 2006, 06:57:23 AM »
EDIT: It has been brought to my attention that the title of this post was too emotional(And it was).  So, the new title is now: Senate Committee passes sweeping increase to gov't surveillance.

I know many of you have no problem with the NSA doing it's thing lately.
A new bill passed a key Senate committee today, which I hope some of you will take notice of.

The bill:

* Redefines surveillance so that only programs that catch the substance of a communication need oversight. Any government surveillance that captures, analyzes and stores patterns of communications such as phone records, or e-mail and website addresses, is no longer considered surveillance.
    * Expands the section of law that allows the attorney general to authorize spying on foreign embassies, so long as there's no "substantial likelihood" that an American's communication would be captured.
    * Repeals the provision of federal law that allows the government unfettered wiretapping and physical searches without warrants or notification for 15 days after a declaration of war. The lack of any congressional restraint on the president's wartime powers arguably puts the president at the height, rather than the ebb, of his powers in any time of war, even an undeclared one.
    * Repeals the provision of federal law that limits the government's wartime powers to conduct warrantless wiretapping and physical searches to a period of 15 days after a declaration of war.
    * Repeals the provision of federal law that puts a time limit on the government's wartime powers to conduct warrantless wiretapping and physical searches against Americans. Under current law, the president has that power for only 15 days following a declaration of war.
    * Allows the attorney general, or anyone he or she designates, to authorize widespread domestic spying, such as monitoring all instant-messaging systems in the country, so long as the government promises to delete anything not terrorism-related.
    * Moves all court challenges to the NSA surveillance program to a secretive court in Washington, D.C., comprised of judges appointed by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Only government lawyers would be allowed in the courtroom.
    * Allows the government to get warrants for surveillance programs as a whole, instead of having to describe to a judge the particular persons to be monitored and the methods to be used.
Link to the full text of the Bill:  http://blog.wired.com/27BStroke6/s2453.pdf
Link to the Wired article I pull the summary from:  
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/1,71778-0.html

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 07:05:02 AM »
Yeah, it worries me.  Damn near everything the government does worries me.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 07:10:18 AM »
OH good, I'm not the only one Smiley

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 07:30:42 AM »
No, because I am not a terrorist or foreign national, nor am I assisting such people.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 07:47:28 AM »
And it doesn't bother you that the government can and probably will listen to your calls, and read your emails anyway?  That isn't freedom.
Allows the attorney general, or anyone he or she designates, to authorize widespread domestic spying, such as monitoring all instant-messaging systems in the country, so long as the government promises to delete anything not terrorism-related.
You trust them to actually delete anything not terrorism-related?  You don't think they will use this law in other ways?  You don't have a problem with the lack of a definition for "terrorism?"
You don't have a problem, in principle, with the government observing your communications?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 07:47:37 AM »
Yes, such bothers me.  Worry?  No, I long ago realized that our governments and I will usually be in opposition.  I don't worry about government abuse of power any more than I worry about the paper wasp colony that is currently up by the roof of my home.

No, because I am not a terrorist or foreign national, nor am I assisting such people.
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 08:01:48 AM »
Yeah yeah, we're on the verge of communist/fascist dictatorship.  Bush is about to declare hisemlf dictator for life.  All  civil rights will be suspended. It's the end of Liberty.  It's the end of Liberty ()

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 08:04:08 AM »
No, we are not on the verge.  We are on the path, however.  I don't want to wait until we are on the verge.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 08:06:04 AM »
Quote from: dasmi
No, we are not on the verge.  We are on the path, however.  I don't want to wait until we are on the verge.
Sorry.  We are on the path to fascist/communist dictatorship.  Bush has secret plans to name himself president for life.  All civil liberties will be suspended 6 months from now.  The NSA is even now taking notes on this thread.  You have been warned.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 08:09:29 AM »
Alright, let's make light of the situation, instead of discussing it.  That makes sense.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 08:11:04 AM »
Alright, let's make light of the situation, instead of discussing it.  That makes sense.
Sometimes the only possible response to illogic and emotion is to make fun of it.  Certainly a rational discussion is not in the offing.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 08:14:22 AM »
None of my posts in this thread have been emotional.  You jumped right in with mockery.  
Frankly, I'm concerned that my government is getting too big for its britches.  I don't think that is irrational at all.  You assume I am a kneejerk anti-bush person, which I am not.  I was a Republican, actually, until this wonderful War on Terror, and until my party ran up the largest deficit ever.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 08:30:30 AM »
None of my posts in this thread have been emotional.  You jumped right in with mockery.  
Frankly, I'm concerned that my government is getting too big for its britches.  I don't think that is irrational at all.  You assume I am a kneejerk anti-bush person, which I am not.  I was a Republican, actually, until this wonderful War on Terror, and until my party ran up the largest deficit ever.
Of course it has been emotional.  Merely posting it under the title "Is this enough to worry you?" is emotional.  Worry is an emotion.  It is fear-mongering, unsupported by fact or argument.  It is a thread dressed up like discussion but really is just posing as neo-sophisticated "we all know the truth here" junk.
Can you supply any reason that is not emotional why we should be worried?  Can you supply any documented cases of abuse under USAPATRIOT, which everyone seems to love hating?  Any alleged abuses under any anti-terrorist statute?  And I dont mean some blogger claiming he was fired.

On my side, what would you think if Congress instituted a bill that said the following:

Sec. 3. Whoever, when the United States is at war, shall willfully make or convey false reports or false statements with intent to interfere with the operation or success of the military or naval forces of the United States, or to promote the success of its enemies, or shall willfully make or convey false reports or false statements, or say or do anything except by way of bona fide and not disloyal advice to an investor or investors, with intent to obstruct the sale by the United States of bonds or other securities of the United States or the making of loans by or to the United States, and whoever, when the United States is at war, shall willfully cause or attempt to cause, or incite or attempt to incite, insubordination, disloyalty, mutiny, or refusal of duty, in the military or naval forces of the United States, or shall willfully obstruct or attempt to obstruct the recruiting or enlistment service of the United States, and whoever, when the United States is at war, shall willfully utter, print, write, or publish any disloyal, profane, scurrilous, or abusive language about the form of government of the United States, or the Constitution of the United States, or the military or naval forces of the United States, or the flag of the United States, or the uniform of the Army or Navy of the United States, or any language intended to bring the form of government of the United States, or the Constitution of the United States, or the military or naval forces of the United States, or the flag of the United States, or the uniform of the Army or Navy of the United States into contempt, scorn, contumely, or disrepute, or shall willfully utter, print, write, or publish any language intended to incite, provoke, or encourage resistance to the United States, or to promote the cause of its enemies, or shall willfully display the flag of any foreign enemy, or shall willfully by utterance, writing, printing, publication, or language spoken, urge, incite, or advocate any curtailment of production in this country of any thing or things, product or products, necessary or essential to the prosecution of the war in which the United States may be engaged, with intent by such curtailment to cripple or hinder the United States in the prosecution of the war, and whoever shall willfully advocate, teach, defend, or suggest the doing of any of the acts or things in this section enumerated, and whoever shall by word or act support or favor the cause of any country with which the United States is at war or by word or act oppose the cause of the United States therein, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000 or imprisonment for not more than twenty years, or both: Provided, That any employee or official of the United States Government who commits any disloyal act or utters any unpatriotic or disloyal language, or who, in an abusive and violent manner criticizes the Army or Navy or the flag of the United States shall be at once dismissed from the service. Any such employee shall be dismissed by the head of the department in which the employee may be engaged, and any such official shall be dismissed by the authority having power to appoint a successor to the dismissed official."

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 08:34:40 AM »
I am heading into a meeting now, I will reply later.  However, I leave you with this.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
. Theodore Roosevelt

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 08:44:30 AM »
Fine.
Roosevelt was probably referring to the text I quoted above.  That text is part of the Treason and Espionage Acts of 1917/1918.  They were later upheld by the Taft court and remain law.
They are very restrictive and give very broad powers.  Someone intent on abusing his enemies could easily invoke these.  And yet, surprise surprise, even after nearly 90 years of this law being on the books, the US is no closer to the tyranny so many like to predict.  Ninety years after the gov't was given the power to fine and jail people for expressing an opinion, no one has been charged under these statutes, much less jailed.

So if you can explain cogently why "this time it's different" then maybe there is an argument.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 04:29:55 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
...  Ninety years after the gov't was given the power to fine and jail people for expressing an opinion, no one has been charged under these statutes, much less jailed...So if you can explain cogently why "this time it's different" then maybe there is an argument.
Not that I don't see both you and Dasmi's points (I'm somewhere between the two of you).

This kind of takes us to the "if a tree falls in the forest" question. "If an unconstitutional law has never been used, is it really the law?"

By the way, the NSA has been intercepting phone calls en masse at least long enough that it was common knowledge to CIA employees in 1993.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

LAK

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 02:06:02 AM »
The United States is NOT at war, Congress has made no such declaration. There is no basis for special powers or measures that circumvent or otherwise diminish our rights per the United States Constitution, and those laws of the fifty States.

Answering seventy-five very personal and private questions on paper, to someone who the last they came to our door could hardly speak english, really bothers me.

Let's laugh that one off. Or better yet, admit what has been growing in Washington DC for a long time is just some looming threat - it is literally right at our individual doorsteps.

------------------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 02:16:02 AM »
"so long as the government promises to delete anything not terrorism-related."

That's the part that worries the Heck out of me. ANYTHING can be terror-related in some fool bureaucrat's mind. Look at the paintball Jihadists they nailed for engaging in a sport that my Grandson enjoys too. And once the system has you, it won't let you go.

Yeah, that worries me.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 03:06:15 AM »
What is this deal LAK keeps bringing up about the seventy-five questions?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 04:54:27 AM »
Quote from: fistful
What is this deal LAK keeps bringing up about the seventy-five questions?
Probably a census worker, in reality a cleverly-disguised member of the FBI/Mossad/MI6/Stasi.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2006, 07:14:24 AM »
You forgot the KGB.  Also, someone should represent us Christian fundies.  We should get to work on that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2006, 07:23:00 AM »
Quote from: fistful
You forgot the KGB.  Also, someone should represent us Christian fundies.  We should get to work on that.
Mossad is controlled by the Pope.  Or maybe it's the other way around.  I never remember.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2006, 07:33:51 AM »
Folks answer census questions?

Hmm, after filling out the number of residents and physical address, I ignore the rest.

I also ignore any firther mailings (which go into the circular file) and other contacts by gov't [strikethrough]flunkies[/strikethrough] employees.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

LAK

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2006, 03:45:59 AM »
The Rabbi has this right - a census worker
in reality a cleverly-disguised member of the FBI/Mossad/MI6/Stasi.
.... Alas, "cleverly diguised" - no. Unwitting (or dimwitted) folk doing the frontline dirty work for the Stasi - yes. The Rabbi has that one right too.

Actually, the FBI, by and large, are on our side. Afterall, the number of FBI agents that risked their jobs - and more - trying to avert the events of September 11, 2001 illustrate this rather well. It is some of their adminstrators whose allegiences seem to lie elsewhere.

Mossad? M16? Could well be. Naah, probably just a bunch of art students working on a college project.

Of course the Rabbi wouldn't get ruffled over the Stasi asking 75 or so personal questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2006, 04:16:13 AM »
an you supply any documented cases of abuse under USAPATRIOT, which everyone seems to love hating?
USA PATRIOT *IS* abuse.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner