Author Topic: Climate Change is Largest WMD Known to Man  (Read 2636 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Climate Change is Largest WMD Known to Man
« on: February 16, 2014, 07:03:49 PM »
As per John Kerry. Smells like desperation.

"In a sense, climate change can now be considered the world's largest weapon of mass destruction, perhaps even, the world's most fearsome weapon of mass destruction."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/02/16/secretary-state-kerry-lashes-out-at-climate-change-skeptics/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Climate Change is Largest WMD Known to Man
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 07:11:46 PM »
So he's saying that Bush was right about Iraq? They weren't all driving Priuses (Prii?) over there, were they?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 07:44:36 PM »
So Kerry (not his real name, btw) is trying to out-biden, Biden?

While most of the US is trying to dig out of record breaking snowfalls and ice storms.  In lots and lots of places in the US that don't get snow and ice.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:10:50 PM »
Scout, it's climate change.  If it's too hot, it's man's fault.  If it's too cold, it's man's fault.  If it's just right, it's man's fault.  That big fiery ball in the sky has absolutely nothing to do with the temperature of the earth.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:13:33 PM »
Climate chaos!  Didn't you get the email?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
If we judge WMDs by how many people they off I'd say that a communist party membership card is right at the top of the list, followed closely by the related thirst for power that shows off in places like DPRK and Africa where leaders withhold foreign aid and intentionally starve entire nations.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 09:51:35 PM »
If we judge WMDs by how many people they off I'd say that a communist party membership card is right at the top of the list, followed closely by the related thirst for power that shows off in places like DPRK and Africa where leaders withhold foreign aid and intentionally starve entire nations.

Let's don't forget the District of Criminals  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Been a while since we've heard from that ahole.  Wonder where he had gotten off to.  ;/

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 11:16:51 PM »

No no no those are just cases where the right people were not in charge and not enough unbelievers were "cleansed"
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:25:16 AM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 08:25:50 AM »
Another case where the loser has run out of arguments, and resorts to false equivalence.  Happens all the time.

Tea Party = Nazi Party
Poverty = Violence
AnyDamnedThing you disagree with = Racism

And now....

globular warminization = WMD

It seems to trivialize all those factors on the right side of the equation.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »

Personally, I'm not a skeptic of climate change. The climate changes all the time.

I don't have a doubt that humans DO influence the climate. I'm merely skeptical/agnostic of how much influence we have over the process. It could be a lot, could be little.  The Earth has been here long before humanity came into existence, and will be around long after we're gone. Ergo, we should be concerned about how optimal the climate should be for humans. That's a tall order.

1. We can't accurately predict climate trends.
2. We don't have extremely accurate predictive models.
3. We don't know exactly how much of an impact we are making to those trends.
4. We don't know exactly how much it would cost to significantly increase or decrease our impact on climate trends.

I actually DO want good climate science. If we have global cooling issues, I'd like a spreadsheet of how much it would cost to heat up the climate by X. If we have global warming issues, I'd like a spreadsheet of how much it would cost to reduce said heat issues. To within say 10 to 20% accuracy. I know it's a tall order. But we shouldn't be basing our economy and laws on things we don't understand. I believe we should generally not pollute too heavily, so that we don't screw up our land for future usage. That's just common sense, and an economically viable consideration. That you could sell me on in a heartbeat. Especially with relatively good numbers to back up everything.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 09:40:20 AM »
If we have global warming issues

Warming isn't necessarily bad.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 09:42:42 AM »
China and the United States are the biggest sources of emissions of carbon dioxide and other gases that cause the atmosphere to trap solar heat and alter the climate. Scientists say such changes are leading to drought, wildfires, rising sea levels, melting polar ice, plant and animal extinctions and other extreme conditions.

Also in the Jakarta speech, Kerry said everyone and every country must take responsibility for the problem and act immediately.

"We simply don't have time to let a few loud interest groups hijack the climate conversation," he said, referring to what he called "big companies" that "don't want to change and spend a lot of money" to act to reduce the risks.

Kerry later singled out major oil and coal concerns as the primary offenders.

Bull snot!  The U.S. government is one of the biggest CO2 emitters in the world and the DoD produces about 80% of those emissions.  Not to mention that wasted food is high up on the list for CO2 emissions.  Whether you believe in AGW or not is one thing but his statements are disingenuous at best.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 09:46:21 AM »
Warming isn't necessarily bad.

A lot of people think El Nino is bad because of crop damage.  If you have a billion dollars in lost crops but save 2 billion in heating costs because of a mild winter temperatures how bad is it, on the whole?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 10:05:16 AM »
Been a while since we've heard from that *expletive deleted*.  Wonder where he had gotten off to.  ;/
Well, when he puts his foot in his mouth spouts off nonsense, the media usually covers it up and we don't hear it.  So normally, we don't hear him at all.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 10:13:12 AM »

Don't forget the environmentalist movement. Banning DDT has killed tens of millions in Africa through starvation and disease.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 10:25:23 AM »
Why science and politics don't mix.

Science should be debated amongst scientists, when a consensus is made, then let the political creatures battle it out.

In a nutshell, used to be Universities did that until their fed and state funding started getting politically motivated. The findings made at the university would be debated at various scientific societies/conferences/publications.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »
In the newspaper, Kerry repeatedly demonized and attacked people who disagree with anthropogenic global warming, referring to them as a ". . . tiny minority of shoddy scientists and science and extreme ideologues . . . "

Reminds me of a quote from Gandhi - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." Seems as if the global warming alarmists, in a panic at their falling credibility with the general public, are getting desperate and are ready to enter Stage 3.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 11:09:19 AM »
In the newspaper, Kerry repeatedly demonized and attacked people who disagree with anthropogenic global warming, referring to them as a ". . . tiny minority of shoddy scientists and science and extreme ideologues . . . "

Reminds me of a quote from Gandhi - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." Seems as if the global warming alarmists, in a panic at their falling credibility with the general public, are getting desperate and are ready to enter Stage 3.

So, what caliber for paper hockey stick?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 11:45:55 AM »
In a speech to Indonesian students, civic leaders and government officials, Kerry tore into climate change skeptics. He accused them of using shoddy science and scientists to delay steps needed to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases at the risk of imperiling the planet.

This, from our head of Diplomacy?

I'm ashamed.

There seems to be a fairly regular cycle of CO2 in the atmosphere going back about 400,000 years.  Although this is determined indirectly, there is no doubt about the cycle itself.  It sticks out like a sore thumb.

There are irregularities and significant departures within and between  each cycle, but there's little doubt that this cycling exists.

But from the fairly recent (200 years) of accurate measurements of global temperatures and CO2 content, we impute that the earth is warming and our political people go nuts, mandating things like compact fluorescent lamps and chanting the mantra about global warming.

This, from this very short sampling period... compared to 400,000 years.

Sorry, but I'm not about to panic over this so-called global warming from such a small, albeit accurate, sample.  I'm all for conservation, just on general principles, but I dislike it when the compact fluorescent light on my back porch, which I'm being mandated to use, doesn't turn on because it was below zero.

It's the sample size that troubles me.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:05:17 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 11:51:20 AM »
Don't forget the environmentalist movement. Banning DDT has killed tens of millions in Africa through starvation and disease.

Scratch a green and you get???  I'm pretty okay with DDT ban in North America, but anywhere that the native bugs will kill you, let's go for it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 12:04:32 PM »
Been a while since we've heard from that *expletive deleted*.  Wonder where he had gotten off to.  ;/

John Kerry's job, if he knows it or not, is to make his predecessor's pathetic tenure as Sec State look good by comparison.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 12:08:52 PM »
John Kerry's job, if he knows it or not, is to make his predecessor's pathetic tenure as Sec State look good by comparison.

Hmmmm.... <Terry drums fingers on table, scratches two day old beard, looks toward ceiling, thinking about that>

"Could be, could be," he mutters to himself.

<Terry decides he needs a shave>

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »

Thus far, I see a great deal of churn and very little butter. In his defense, admittedly, he was handed curdled cream.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 12:46:55 PM »

Like most neoLib progressive trash, Kerry is really talking about himself and his ilk.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw