Author Topic: Top tier AR-15 manufacturers who make light weight uppers  (Read 2045 times)

dm1333

• friend
Top tier AR-15 manufacturers who make light weight uppers
« on: February 16, 2014, 08:31:21 PM »
I'm looking to build a light weight AR-15 based on a Stag lower (yeah, yeah, Stag isn't as cool as Noveske or LMT  but they are from my home state and I wanted to support a company stuck behind enemy lines).   Any suggestions for an upper that will help me keep the gun under 6 lbs with irons?  Ideally the rifle, with my Lucid M7 RDS and a magnifier (2X? 3X?) will come in at less than 7 lbs.  I'm going to build this gun a piece at a time and everything should be MILSPEC or better.  I'm thinking 16" barrel and either an A1 or ACE stock, full auto BCG, and a light weight free float fore end. 

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Top tier AR-15 manufacturers who make light weight uppers
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 11:50:39 PM »
Bravo Company.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 12:52:47 AM »
Daniel Defense sells a lightweight upper the is 3lbs 10 oz with a handguard.  They'd be my first choice.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:18:04 AM »
https://danieldefense.com/daniel-defense-m4-urg-v7-lightweight-no-sights.html

Thanks, that is the lightest I've seen so far, by 6 ounces.  Bravo Company and YHM are also on my list.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:27:20 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »
Forward assist!  For when your rifle is only partly jammed and you really want to break it good?   :laugh:

What kind of reputation does Rainier Arms have?  I don't know anything about them.  I'm open to getting rid of the FA but not hung up on it either way.  I'm about to mosey on down to the gun shop and see if my lower came in.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 09:50:28 PM »
Vuurwapen blog has a weight comparison of a lot of BCM uppers.  I found one with a Troy handguard that is about 3lbs 4oz with a full length rail in top and 3 mini rails.  The BCM upper with light weight barrel, A2 front sight and mid length Magpul MOE hand guards is about the same.