Author Topic: MREs of the World  (Read 3716 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
MREs of the World
« on: February 20, 2014, 05:54:13 PM »
Or some of them anyway. I've never seen spiced apple cider on an MRE menu from any of the US manufacturers? The German one with liverwurst is classic.  :laugh:

http://imgur.com/a/S3FA4
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bigjake

• friend
Re: MREs of the World
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 06:53:44 PM »
Or some of them anyway. I've never seen spiced apple cider on an MRE menu from any of the US manufacturers? The German one with liverwurst is classic.  :laugh:

http://imgur.com/a/S3FA4

The cider is actually really good, compared to the rest of the random drink powders.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 09:45:42 PM »
Just like their "regular food", The German ones are pretty good (better than ours),  I'd cut your mother for French MRE.*  the British ones were much worse than ours, and the Canadian was pretty much the same as ours.

Now this was in the late 1980's early 1990's.  So things may have changed since then.

(The Frogs always loved to trade for our MRE's when we were out in the field.  I could never figure that one out.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:02:54 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 11:39:52 PM »
The Brits get Typhoo? That's good stuff.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 03:22:26 AM »
http://www.mreinfo.com/international/info/international-rations.html

Moar betterer site with full details of the contents.

Those Spanish bisquit packs look like condoms and reminded me of when my father tried to kill the Air Force.

Long story short - dad was a food chemist.  Task was to create a survival ration.  Parameters were weight, size and calorie content; taste be damned.  Product was composed of brewer's yeast, crushed Kellogs Sugar Frosted Flakes (brand specified), honey, and Tang powder all compressed into a disk about as big across as a silver dollar and about half an inch thick.  Directions read: "Chew with water".  Field test was a AF desert survival class that was also testing the then-new theory that it was better to drink what water you had in quantity at the beginning than to ration it out in tiny sips.  Group A (drink the whole canteen) was also instructed to eat 1 of the 3 ration "bisquits" before setting out to return to base.  They ripped off the wrapping, chewed and masticated and worked that stuff into a swallowable mass, washing it down with water as they went.  UNTIL everything started to swell up somewhere between the back of the mouth and the start of the esophagus.  Can you say "Death by choking"?  Fortunately the AF medics had not even left the area so nobody actually died but it was close for a few of them who had big globs of the stuff (truely biting off more than they could chew).  Dad's response?  "It met all the specifications they submitted.  Nobody said anything about teaching pilots to take small bites and not stuff their mouths."

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 04:32:58 AM »
I got my paws on an Italian one a few years back, would love to find a source to buy more. Different than the one pictured, came with 3 boxes inside, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Canned pasta, sausages, toothpaste tube of sweetened condensed milk paste, water purification tablets, hexamine and stove, all kinds of crap. Like a Macgyver Christmas. No damn wonder they lose every war, too busy eating.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »
This pretty fascinating. I'd be interested in seeing the packages opened to see how the food looks, and also to have "taste test" information.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:30:28 AM »
Just like their "regular food", The German ones are pretty good (better than ours),  I'd cut your mother for French MRE.*  the British ones were much worse than ours, and the Canadian was pretty much the same as ours.

Now this was in the late 1980's early 1990's.  So things may have changed back then.

(The Frogs always loved to trade for our MRE's when we were out in the field.  I could never figure that one out.)
I'd take the French one.

Maybe they wanted ours for the same reason they'll willingly go to a McDonalds?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 11:19:46 AM »
I've never seen spiced apple cider on an MRE menu from any of the US manufacturers?

Oh, it's in a lot of them.  It used to piss me off, too, because they put it in there instead of instant coffee.   :mad:

Long story short - dad was a food chemist.  Task was to create a survival ration.  

That story reminds me of reading about NASA's astronaut food research in Mary Roach's book, Packing for Mars.  They had similar problems.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 01:51:27 PM »
Oh, it's in a lot of them.  It used to piss me off, too, because they put it in there instead of instant coffee.   :mad:

That story reminds me of reading about NASA's astronaut food research in Mary Roach's book, Packing for Mars.  They had similar problems.

Dad designed and packed food for the first space flights.  Thank $diety for test kitchens and the astronauts' willingness to try the packaging in the vomit comet before the real thing.  LOTS of kinks discovered.  SOME were worked out.  A few were allowed to remain because there was no way at that time to do anything else.  The biggest change was that meeting calorie count was assigned a lower priority and both palatability and ease of swallowing in safety were bumped way up on the list.

Trivia tidbit - sucking pureeed goo through a nipple on a rigid container does NOT work in weightlessness, regardless of how mant times a lab full of PhDs says it ought to.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 10:33:42 PM »
Mmmm, liversausage.

The French & Italian rations sound like a nice dinner for me & the missus.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 11:04:29 PM »
(The Frogs always loved to trade for our MRE's when we were out in the field.  I could never figure that one out.)

Since time immemorial it has fallen to the Gallic races to civilise their brutish and savage neighbors.

Yeah, you heard me.  Frog-man's burden.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 12:05:52 AM »
So where's the Ethiopian MRE?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 12:09:20 AM »
So where's the Ethiopian MRE?

Found one:

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 03:57:39 PM »
I got my paws on an Italian one a few years back, would love to find a source to buy more. Different than the one pictured, came with 3 boxes inside, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Canned pasta, sausages, toothpaste tube of sweetened condensed milk paste, water purification tablets, hexamine and stove, all kinds of crap. Like a Macgyver Christmas. No damn wonder they lose every war, too busy eating.

It wasn't that they always lost, the Italians never end a war on the same side that they started with.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 10:10:03 PM »
http://www.mreinfo.com/international/info/international-rations.html

reminded me of when my father tried to kill the Air Force.

Long story short - dad was a food chemist.  Task was to create a survival ration.  Parameters were weight, size and calorie content; taste be damned.  Product was composed of brewer's yeast, crushed Kellogs Sugar Frosted Flakes (brand specified), honey, and Tang powder all compressed into a disk about as big across as a silver dollar and about half an inch thick.  Directions read: "Chew with water".  Field test was a AF desert survival class that was also testing the then-new theory that it was better to drink what water you had in quantity at the beginning than to ration it out in tiny sips.  Group A (drink the whole canteen) was also instructed to eat 1 of the 3 ration "bisquits" before setting out to return to base.  They ripped off the wrapping, chewed and masticated and worked that stuff into a swallowable mass, washing it down with water as they went.  UNTIL everything started to swell up somewhere between the back of the mouth and the start of the esophagus.  Can you say "Death by choking"?  Fortunately the AF medics had not even left the area so nobody actually died but it was close for a few of them who had big globs of the stuff (truely biting off more than they could chew).  Dad's response?  "It met all the specifications they submitted.  Nobody said anything about teaching pilots to take small bites and not stuff their mouths."

stay safe.

Can we leave a few million of these along the borders sans H2O?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 08:47:50 AM »
Can we leave a few million of these along the borders sans H2O?

But it is the addition of H2) to the brewers yeast that brougt about the magical transformation.  Otherwise you are merely holding a sticky-sweet prototype Tang-flavored power bar.

While it may not be rocket surgery, it is still science!  :facepalm:

stay safe.