Author Topic: I have reached a new level of SysAdmin  (Read 1292 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
I have reached a new level of SysAdmin
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:58:45 PM »

... when I convinced the company to buy me a propane torch for "Health and Safety" concerns.

My boss also wears a maintenance/facilities hat as well. He was offsite, and some folks were concerned that our loading bay was iced up. Couple people fell. Looked over it. Ayep. Salt ain't cutting it. So I sent him pictures and my recommendation. You can imagine I was a bit surprised when Maint told me they bought the gorram thing and want me to show them how to use it.

http://www.mrheater.com/Product2.aspx?id=37

Technically... Company still bought me a flamethrower for health and safety concerns. Does that seem as mildly but inarticulately wrong to anyone else?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

fifth_column

• friend
Re: I have reached a new level of SysAdmin
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:12:01 PM »
What purposes other than health and safety can flamethrowers possibly serve?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
Many health and safety concerns are best addressed with the judicious application of fire.  In my professional risk management opinion.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:23:20 PM »
... when I convinced the company to buy me a propane torch for "Health and Safety" concerns.

My boss also wears a maintenance/facilities hat as well. He was offsite, and some folks were concerned that our loading bay was iced up. Couple people fell. Looked over it. Ayep. Salt ain't cutting it. So I sent him pictures and my recommendation. You can imagine I was a bit surprised when Maint told me they bought the gorram thing and want me to show them how to use it.

Technically... Company still bought me a flamethrower for health and safety concerns. Does that seem as mildly but inarticulately wrong to anyone else?

Not at all. Occasionally, in its frenzy to devour, the beast unknowingly begins to consume its' own tail.

Also, needs cryptically cool acronym for company ops manual. E.g., Flame-Using, Crystal-Killing Radiator.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
Melts Ice and Snow,
Burns Weeds and Stumps,
Warehouses and Factories,
Parking Lots, Parks and Farms
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 01:35:15 PM »
Many health and safety concerns are best addressed with the judicious application of fire.  In my professional risk management opinion.

It's working beautifully. Handles snow fine, thin ice fine. The thick ice (2.5-5 inches thick) not so much. Metal shop welded up some choppers and they're going well but dulling quicker than preferred. Not bad for a "Hey, build me this, right now" welding job.

So, quick pass over the thin spots, slower pass over the thicker and then salt everything. It'll take some time but it's working very well.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 01:47:01 PM »

There's something very very right about that.

BOFH
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 01:48:37 PM »
So, are you going to try out the fire suppression system in the data center later on?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 01:50:04 PM »
There's something very very right about that.

BOFH

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/27/bofh_2005_episode_17/

If you know my last name from Facebook, you'll laugh even harder.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 02:19:05 PM »

I should probably not go on record as stating that my professional opinion extends to the judicious application of fire to certain patients.  For purely legitimate clinical reasons, of course.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 02:36:19 PM »
I should probably not go on record as stating that my professional opinion extends to the judicious application of fire to certain patients.  For purely legitimate clinical reasons, of course.

I'm sure there's some basis in some literature somewhere supporting broad spectrum cauterization. :angel:
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »
Does that seem as mildly but inarticulately wrong to anyone else?

Eh....no.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »
Well done!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 03:04:34 PM »
I've got one of those Red Dragon's Breath 500,000 BTU things. It really is great fun.
I've used it to ignite a soaking wet stump and brush pile during heavy snow fall among other handy things like melting lead wheel weights in a 6" pipe to make a weighted grinder stand.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »
If that sounds wrong I don;t want to sound right!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 06:01:48 PM »
So you're going to use it for your next boss fight, right? You'll need to collect a lot of coins and healing potions as well!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.