Author Topic: Considering committing heresy  (Read 12067 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Considering committing heresy
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 10:54:06 PM »
I'll just place this here for your perusal:

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=6631

Chris

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 11:12:18 PM »
I love 1911s. I also love my XDs.

Have both. Be happy

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 10:24:47 AM »

Chris
That has sort of been my experience with 1911's.  They good, solid guns that are fun to shoot, but all that I have used have fallen short of 100% reliability.  Maybe some of that could be fixed with better maintenance or mags, I don't know.  My experience with XD's and Glocks is that they are actually near bullet proof on reliability with very little maintenance. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 10:35:24 AM »
That has sort of been my experience with 1911's.  They good, solid guns that are fun to shoot, but all that I have used have fallen short of 100% reliability.  Maybe some of that could be fixed with better maintenance or mags, I don't know.  My experience with XD's and Glocks is that they are actually near bullet proof on reliability with very little maintenance. 

Yeah, after 75 years the military gave up on them  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 11:18:40 AM »
Yeah, after 75 years the military gave up on them  ;/

My cult robes are just as worn at the knees & elbows as anyone else's, but you know perfectly well that the specs and tolerances on the Colt GI guns firing ball are a far cry from the myriad variations, from bullseye pistols to race guns, shooting the vast array of ammo out there.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
My cult robes are just as worn at the knees & elbows as anyone else's, but you know perfectly well that the specs and tolerances on the Colt GI guns firing ball are a far cry from the myriad variations, from bullseye pistols to race guns, shooting the vast array of ammo out there.

I think I see the problem ....   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 11:46:48 AM »
I will say that it took quite a bit to find a mag/ammo combination that I considered reliable enough for EDC in my 1911.  Wilson Combat mags and the Speer Gold Dots work reliably in that gun.   On the other hand, ball ammo worked reliably straight out of the box with whatever mag I shoved them in.  Since the 1911 wasn't designed with hollow point rounds in mind, it didn't bother me that it took some tweaking around to find what would work.   And yes, I think that compared to some other platforms, 1911's are more maintenance intensive.  

But dang if they ain't fun to shoot.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »

Chris

Behold, the paradigm shifty thing, where you finally stop trying to reconcile what you see with your eyes with what your mental model says should be the case.  It's almost like changing your religion.

While some have taken issue that it was a small sample (sure, only over 30 guns with all the same problems….not a trend at all), their problems were fully representative of common 1911 ailments – magazine issues, feedway issues, slide stop problems, extractor problems, loose plunger tubes, and intensive maintenance/inspection.

The tally after initial test firing at our 1911 class in Arizona, August 2013.

Tim and I taught a few 1911 specific classes in the last couple years, and we typically saw a failure rate of over 50% of the student pistols in each class.  

The one class I took, ten years ago now, students came with a variety of guns.  The ones with the most problems were the high dollar 1911s.  Glocks, my Ruger, whatever else except 1911s, all seemed to chug right along.

Do I want one?  Sure.  But, if and when, it will be a rock bottom basic one.  A GI with a better sights.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:22:40 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »
I do admit I have a compact RIA 1911 that I don't recall ever giving me issues.  Good point about the cheaper ones. 

I remember a guy in one of my CHL renewal classes.  We were sitting there waiting to start shooting and he showed me his 1911 which he said was rigged up for accuracy/competition.  He was sort of bragging on it.  During the 50 rounds of the test, his pistol probably failed several times.  I was shooting my Para 14.45.  I shot accurately, but it failed to extract on me a couple times.  First time it ever failed with good magazines was during that testing.  Found later the extractor was worn down to nothing.  I bought it used so I guess it was very well used.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 02:41:03 PM »
This first rather serendipitous step made me realize that I did not need the 1911 trigger or ergonomics as a performance crutch.

Put another way, "I put in enough time on a platform with inferior ergonomic design to do as well as I used to do with a 1911."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 03:12:49 PM »
"The 1911 is an inferior design because when you change the design it doesn't work well." Ok then.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 04:29:36 PM »
The one I had in the Army was exceptionally accurate, even though it felt like if you shook it hard enough it would self disassemble.   I don't ever recall any failure with it, or any the schoolhouse* guns we were issued.  I got out and bought my Colt 1991-A1.  The only problems it ever had were with magazines (especially some old GI issue ones that magically followed me home somehow.)   I've never done a trigger job or any other futzing with it, other then putting thinner rubber grips and fingergroove thingy on it.  (H/t to Monkeyleg).    It just works.  Even with the 185gr HP's that I mostly shoot.

Like AD, the Wilson combat mags (Thanks again to Monkeyleg) have been flawless performers.  

The only reason the US Army went away from it, was to standardize to NATO's 9mm requirement.  We had fought for the .45ACP since day one, but  finally conceded 45 years later.  (IIRC, USASOC has gone back to the 1911/.45 ACP as the handgun of choice for the Special Operations community.)

*-Schoolhouse guns-  The ones at training bases that get used by hundreds of folks.  They are generally cleaned to death, if not shot very much.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:41:16 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 05:33:14 PM »
The only reason the US Army went away from it, was to standardize to NATO's 9mm requirement.  We had fought for the .45ACP since day one, but  finally conceded 45 years later.  (IIRC, USASOC has gone back to the 1911/.45 ACP as the handgun of choice for the Special Operations community.)

Well, it's not like the US needs to fight any crazy Asians any more  :lol:

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »
My Springfeild will feed anything you shove in it, including many flavors of hollowpoints.

My Dad had a 1911 (not A1) that, with some tweaking, would hand cycle through a magazine of caseings.

I will say the only real fault we've had with our 1911 has been banged up magazines. And keeping the feed lips from getting bent up isn't exactly a real challenge.

When the question is "quick, here's a NIB 1911A1 and a NIB Glock, pick one and shoot!" I'll grab the Glock. (unless it's gen 4 :P )
But if it's "Quick, here's your Glock 17 and here's your 1911, pick one and shoot!" You bet I'll be grabbing my 1911.

The fact that a 1911 may require more induvidial attention from out of the box too daily carry does not negate it's overall practicality for SD.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
From another article on MSR:
My friend Bob Moran said it best: “So it’s heavier, requires more maintenance, holds only eight rounds and costs four times as much? I’ll take two.”

Yup.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 08:56:09 PM »
I've got the VZ grips on mine. Grey, sweet looking and grippy. A bit thinner than stock but just a hair wider than slimline which fits my shortish fingers well.

And the grey coordinates equally well with my brown leather and black leather, which is important!
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 09:17:51 PM »
Selling your 1911 would be more like sacrilege or apostasy. 

Selling a 1911 to buy Croation tupperware would be an abomination.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 09:50:56 PM »
I would love somebody in that "article" comments thread to bring up the viability of a (low capacity) revolver for defensive use.

>:D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2014, 10:19:17 PM »
My Springfeild will feed anything you shove in it, including many flavors of hollowpoints.

My Dad had a 1911 (not A1) that, with some tweaking, would hand cycle through a magazine of caseings.

I will say the only real fault we've had with our 1911 has been banged up magazines. And keeping the feed lips from getting bent up isn't exactly a real challenge.

When the question is "quick, here's a NIB 1911A1 and a NIB Glock, pick one and shoot!" I'll grab the Glock. (unless it's gen 4 :P )
But if it's "Quick, here's your Glock 17 and here's your 1911, pick one and shoot!" You bet I'll be grabbing my 1911.

The fact that a 1911 may require more induvidial attention from out of the box too daily carry does not negate it's overall practicality for SD.

This. The article mtnbkr linked to makes clear they are discussing organizational duty weapons, not guns for individual self-defense.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »
This discussion is pointless. I've already given him the answer.

When asking the question "X gun or Y gun? Which?"

The answer is always "Get both"
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2014, 10:50:40 PM »
My experience is that a properly made 1911 is as reliable as a gun can be.  Not 100%, but so close that it doesn't matter.  About like any other serious service pistol.

I've never understood the reputation of Glocks as being unfailingly reliable.  I see them fail as often as anything else.  Probably just coincidence, but I've seen several Glocks lose that little takedown slider lever above the trigger guard.  When that goes, the gun barfs the slide/barrel/spring off the front of the frame.  It's kinda funny when it happens in a match, the guy ends up staring at half a gun in his hands and slowly realizes the rest of it is down by his feet.

Most failures I see, especially in matches, are due to bad handloads.  Can't blame the gun for that.

All in all, I don't much worry about the reliability of different gun designs.  My unprofessional opinion is that every common service pistol is reliable if built faithfully to their plans.  When they fail it's because of a manufacturing defect or a failed/worn part, not an inherent design flaw.  So use whatever design works best for you.

I think the problem with 1911s these days is that manufacturing them to their plans is very difficult and expensive.  The 1911 was designed for a manufacturing process with lots skilled hand craftsmanship.  Hand labor just can't compete on price in today's economy.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2014, 11:59:45 PM »
I think the problem with 1911s these days is that manufacturing them to their plans is very difficult and expensive.  The 1911 was designed for a manufacturing process with lots skilled hand craftsmanship.  Hand labor just can't compete on price in today's economy.

Well, maybe, but it's also the Windows/Apple issue. Most other guns are Apples.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 08:42:53 AM »
I have had a Colt and Para 1911 that failed frequently.

Currently have a SA in 9mm. The only time it has failed was due to poor lube and Wolf steel cased ammo.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2014, 08:52:50 AM »
I've got 3 1911s, a Kimber and 2 RIAs. The only failures I've had have been due to the odd out of spec reload and one bad magazine.

I've probably said it here before but my opinion is that 1911s get the same bad rap the Harley Davidsons get. The tend to attract folks that like to tinker with stuff and want to "customize" their ride or their gun to make it "better". What happens far too often is that people that have absolutely no business even being in the same room with anything remotely resembling tools work on their own stuff and *expletive deleted* it up then blame the object of their abominations.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2014, 10:28:59 AM »
Huh.

I've never had a problem with my Colt 1911; eats anything that I put through it.

So reliable that it used to be my edc.

But then again, I didn't go putting rubber grips on it, either.   :facepalm: :P

Sawdust
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:38:20 AM by Sawdust »
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.