Author Topic: Free contraception does not create sluts, according to one study  (Read 11583 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Free contraception does not create sluts, according to one study
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 05:58:18 PM »
Problem is, governments would be handing out the permits. So there would be corruption, bribery, favor trading, gerrymandering, red lining, unions, and other bad things in short order.

Only if the right people are not in charge  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 06:12:35 PM »
Personal accountability and properly aligned incentives would go a long way towards solving these problems.  Private charities can handle what's left.

What are those incentives, then?  Let me describe one of my patients to you that one of my social workers has been dealing with: 22 year old white female, on welfare, unmarried, four children, none of the fathers are around, has been addicted to heroin for five years and now has Hep C, two unsuccessful stints in rehab, her parents sold their car and have been slowly doling out the money to her so that she would not have to go back to prostitution to buy the heroin, parents have just discovered that she has been turning tricks on the side and now the patient and her parents want us to start prescribing her opiates so she can stop using heroin and turning tricks.  Which we are not going to do.

Let me know how you would incentivize this patient to increase her personal accountability.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 06:18:11 PM »
What are those incentives, then?  Let me describe one of my patients to you that one of my social workers has been dealing with: 22 year old white female, on welfare, unmarried, four children, none of the fathers are around, has been addicted to heroin for five years and now has Hep C, two unsuccessful stints in rehab, her parents sold their car and have been slowly doling out the money to her so that she would not have to go back to prostitution to buy the heroin, parents have just discovered that she has been turning tricks on the side and now the patient and her parents want us to start prescribing her opiates so she can stop using heroin and turning tricks.  Which we are not going to do.

Let me know how you would incentivize this patient to increase her personal accountability.

Spanking  ???      =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 06:36:07 PM »
^^^ Geez, I wonder.  She has probably already incurred more healthcare costs at age 22 than I will ever incur in my life, unless I end up needing a heart transplant or something.  All her costs either paid for by the State of Washington or the healthcare providers eating the cost as bad debt.  Not to mention the kids as a cost center.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »
Perhaps we should start at the beginning.  You seem to take as a given that your patient's situation somehow represents an obligation on the part of the tax payers.  Can you explain why?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
Or, start at the beginning of the beginning. If the social welfare net was not so vast and unaccountable, would there be so many people like her to begin with? If the schools were more accountable to local control than to federal rules and federal money, would there be so many people like her to begin with?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 06:49:04 PM »
Maybe we should legalize prostitution to help out single mothers  :angel:

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 06:49:50 PM »
Perhaps we should start at the beginning.  You seem to take as a given that your patient's situation somehow represents an obligation on the part of the tax payers.  Can you explain why?

Simple.  As a society, we are not willing to let her die in the streets. And no private charities have stepped forward to support her. Can you suggest a viable alternative that can be implemented in the real world in today's political and social climate?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 06:50:59 PM »
Or, start at the beginning of the beginning. If the social welfare net was not so vast and unaccountable, would there be so many people like her to begin with? If the schools were more accountable to local control than to federal rules and federal money, would there be so many people like her to begin with?

I am eager to hear your explanation of how the schools are to blame for this sort of person, and how local control would prevent this.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 07:01:51 PM »
Simple.  As a society, we are not willing to let her die in the streets. And no private charities have stepped forward to support her. Can you suggest a viable alternative that can be implemented in the real world in today's political and social climate?

Have you asked any private charities?

How many private charities has she already been through, wore out, lied to, cheated, and turned against her?

"As a society, we are not willing to let her die in the streets."

In that case, we can shut down all the .gov organizations, and let her be cared for by whoever steps in.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 07:02:34 PM »
I am eager to hear your explanation of how the schools are to blame for this sort of person, and how local control would prevent this.

Helps to look at the big picture, and not just react because your wife works at a school, and therefore I hurted your feels.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 07:19:07 PM »
Indeed not.  All the more reason to trust the civil society can handle it.

Tell me again, why are the taxpayers are on the hook for this woman?  If anything, the generous taxpayer-funded benefits she already receives, and their apparent failure to date to get her on her feet, argue strongly against government checks as a good solution.

Perhaps we should look for better solutions.  Unless you think it's ok that her life is still a trainwreck...?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 07:19:53 PM »

Helps to look at the big picture, and not just react because your wife works at a school, and therefore I hurted your feels.

Come on now, don't cop out.  Explain why the schools are accountable for these people.  Don't handwave the issue away.  

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 07:20:27 PM »
Heh.  That cuts both ways.

Explain why the taxpayers are accountable for these people.  Don't just handwave the issue away.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 07:21:01 PM »
Indeed not.  All the more reason to trust the civil society can handle it.

Tell me again, why are the taxpayers are on the hook for this woman?  If anything, the generous taxpayer-funded benefits she already receives, and their apparent failure to date to get her on her feet, argue strongly against government checks as a good solution.

Perhaps we should look for better solutions.  Unless you think it's ok that her life is still a trainwreck...?

So please tell us what is your better solution?  Be specific.  

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 07:22:59 PM »

Honest question: do you think the availability of free birth control is what is stopping this woman from being childless and STD free? Last I checked there are a number of places that provide no cost to the individual birth control: I know the free STD clinic at a building I used to work at did.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 07:28:46 PM »
So please tell us what is your better solution?  Be specific.  
I'm not sure I have time tonight for a lengthy discussion.

But can we agree that even without a lengthy explanation from me, there's still no good reason why we should hit up the taxpayers whenever someone gets themselves into trouble?  

Rejecting bad solutions doesn't solve the problem, but it does advance the process.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:33:05 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2014, 07:30:28 PM »

Honest question: do you think the availability of free birth control is what is stopping this woman from being childless and STD free? Last I checked there are a number of places that provide no cost to the individual birth control: I know the free STD clinic at a building I used to work at did.

Oh no, not at all.  In regards to this particular patient, I have not the faintest idea what is the funding sources for her birth control (if any) or if we provide it.  This patient story does not really apply to the original post about the article on free birth control and behavior.  It is more a response to the premise that personal accountability, responsibility and private charities, as opposed to government social services, can solve these issues.  When people make those sort of statements, I suspect that they may not have a whole lot of experience in actually dealing with people similar to my patient.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2014, 07:32:05 PM »
I'm not sure I have time tonight for a lengthy discussion.

But can we agree that even without a lengthy explanation from me, there's still no good reason why we should hit up the taxpayers whenever someone gets themselves into trouble?

Absolutely.  State support should be a last resort.  Bring back the work farms, I say.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »
Oh no, not at all.  In regards to this particular patient, I have not the faintest idea what is the funding sources for her birth control (if any) or if we provide it.  This patient story does not really apply to the original post about the article on free birth control and behavior.  It is more a response to the premise that personal accountability, responsibility and private charities, as opposed to government social services, can solve these issues.  When people make those sort of statements, I suspect that they may not have a whole lot of experience in actually dealing with people similar to my patient.

With all due respect, I don't see that story as making a compelling case for government social services solving that issue either. Perhaps there is no true "solution" to such people, and all we can do is attempt to reduce the damage they do to those around them?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2014, 07:46:48 PM »
Personal accountability and properly aligned incentives would go a long way towards solving these problems.  Private charities can handle what's left.

Welfare is here to stay.  Either we wean them off the test or just let more of them be produced.
 Get your head of the sand.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2014, 07:50:05 PM »

That genie is out of the bottle.  They vote in higher numbers than us.  Reality is a harsh mistress.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2014, 08:06:41 PM »
Oh, I agree completely.  It's probably not possible to eliminate the welfare state now.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2014, 08:12:51 PM »
Come on now, don't cop out.  Explain why the schools are accountable for these people.  Don't handwave the issue away. 

Guffaw. You'll notice I didn't blame the schools. I blamed federal meddling in the schools, which can't help but degrade them.

Are you seriously suggesting that a better education would not help people to grow into useful adults? Do you not think that better schooling would result in more prosperous citizens, thereby reducing poverty, and its associated ills?

And like I said, big picture. It's only one small part of what's wrong. I could just as easily have blamed government regulations (prosperity again), a culture that fails to properly disincentive fornication or drug use, and a hundred other things.

Oh, and since you're demanding an answer to your question, I will demand a response to my points below.

Have you asked any private charities?

How many private charities has she already been through, wore out, lied to, cheated, and turned against her?

"As a society, we are not willing to let her die in the streets."

In that case, we can shut down all the .gov organizations, and let her be cared for by whoever steps in.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:17:42 PM by fistful »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »
With all due respect, I don't see that story as making a compelling case for government social services solving that issue either. Perhaps there is no true "solution" to such people, and all we can do is attempt to reduce the damage they do to those around them?

This, I think is a key point: there are some people, that for whatever reason, cannot be extricated from the safety net.  And it is perhaps a measure of our society of how we treat such people: with dignity or denigration.  I have been around long enough to see such people and realize that for some things within and without my span of control, there but for the grace of God go I.