Author Topic: Mechanic Builds Silencers for SEALs, Gets Prosecuted  (Read 3328 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Mechanic Builds Silencers for SEALs, Gets Prosecuted
« on: March 08, 2014, 08:59:35 PM »
I guess that's what's happening. This is a very limited information story. Unless he was illegally selling them outside of his contract or something, how can he be prosecuted?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/07/judge-questions-prosecution-mechanic-who-built-rifle-silencers-for-navy-seals/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Mechanic Builds Silencers for SEALs, Gets Prosecuted
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 09:04:46 PM »
Landersman was paid $1.7 million in 2012 to build 349 suppressors.

That's a heck of a big sting operation  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:37:32 PM »
That's a heck of a big sting operation  ;/
And a heck of a unit rate too.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »
$4800 each.  Not sure if that is a rip off or not.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:30:22 PM »
$4800 each.  Not sure if that is a rip off or not.

About 4 times the going rate for a quality common caliber suppressor (i.e., 5.56, .308, 9mm, .45ACP). Might be a different story for a large cal suppressor (such as a .50BMG, dunno about those). And that's the off the shelf price for a normal person, with the costs of a maker building them for the civilian market (taxes and licensing fees).

If the SEALs want a deniable suppressor I'm sure any of the MANY suppressor makers can make a sanitized version easily. Not sure why the SEALs are turning to some random dude for sterile suppressors and paying him what is probably an insane amount per unit when a known maker could make them whatever they want with the latest technology.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:49:46 PM »
About 4 times the going rate for a quality common caliber suppressor (i.e., 5.56, .308, 9mm, .45ACP). Might be a different story for a large cal suppressor (such as a .50BMG, dunno about those). And that's the off the shelf price for a normal person, with the costs of a maker building them for the civilian market (taxes and licensing fees).

If the SEALs want a deniable suppressor I'm sure any of the MANY suppressor makers can make a sanitized version easily. Not sure why the SEALs are turning to some random dude for sterile suppressors and paying him what is probably an insane amount per unit when a known maker could make them whatever they want with the latest technology.

I agree with all of that.

My fancy Surefire 5.56 suppressor was under $1,000 retail.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 07:08:58 AM »

Unless he had found a way to make theirs more durable, etc?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 08:00:45 AM »
But what are they made of, what kind of parts and support come with them?

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »

I hope whatever relative got him the job can get him out of this trouble.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 10:54:18 AM »

Putting on the tinfoil, if they wanted deniability, maybe that would be a reason to have some random mechanic make them, perhaps in a way that they actually look like they were made in someone's backyard, or cave in the hills.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 11:41:14 AM »
I think the SEALS, SpecOps, Govt, etc, already have all the deniability they need.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »
Putting on the tinfoil, if they wanted deniability, maybe that would be a reason to have some random mechanic make them, perhaps in a way that they actually look like they were made in someone's backyard, or cave in the hills.

Yes, but that deniability would be lost if you allowed the mechanic to be arrested and prosecuted for making them. So why would you not protect the guy from that?

Super tinfoil:  What if it was a totally off the books thing. Rouge SEALS buying untraceable arms with some of Saddam's gold? 

Will they disappear into the Los Angeles underground to be soldiers for hire?!?!?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 01:27:27 PM »
Yes, but that deniability would be lost if you allowed the mechanic to be arrested and prosecuted for making them. So why would you not protect the guy from that?

Agreed. There has to be more to this story, which maybe we'll see, and maybe not.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 01:42:15 PM »
Jayne: I got pinched.

Mal: That's what happens when you call the feds.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 03:05:09 PM »
Anyone else qustion the supressor prohibition for its absurdity?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »

If it wasn't prohibited then it would be required  ;/

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 03:12:19 PM »

If you mean the NFA, then yes.

If you mean state laws, then yes.

So, yes.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 11:20:35 PM »
If you mean the NFA, then yes.

If you mean state laws, then yes.

So, yes.
I keep thinking that if they really wanted to legalize them and satisfy the ninnies, they could always put a minimum decibel limit for unlicensed suppressors.  Just legalizing them would make more sense. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 12:34:52 PM »
I agree with you, if only because it would be unenforceable anyway.  Altitude, relative humidity, barrel length, and distance from the meter would all change the reading, introducing reasonable doubt that the detected level was accurate.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 01:52:24 PM »
I agree with you, if only because it would be unenforceable anyway.  Altitude, relative humidity, barrel length, and distance from the meter would all change the reading, introducing reasonable doubt that the detected level was accurate.

Not to mention type of ammo.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »
 :facepalm: I knew I was forgetting something.

The more that I think about it the more impossible enforcement would be.  In order to prove that your 120 dB can was registering 115, for example, wouldn't the ATF have to replicate the exact conditions? Of course, they'd probably just take your can and let you try to come after them.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »
It is my understanding that these folks were ripping off the gov... explaining the absurd prices.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 04:13:14 PM »
It is my understanding that these folks were ripping off the gov... explaining the absurd prices.
Which is strange because you can find pricing for civilian suppressors on the internet. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 11:09:21 PM »
Isn't the gov't notorious for paying absurd amounts of money for common items? hence the $80 stapler. Is it possible that the SEAL's were getting more then just the suppressors?
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 09:11:47 AM »
not just suppressors, super ninja-seal suppressors!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2