Author Topic: Trapped in your bedroom by an angry cat? Call 911!  (Read 4489 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Trapped in your bedroom by an angry cat? Call 911!
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 12:45:32 PM »
Five on each front foot, four on each rear foot. 

Polydactyl cat.  Very adept at using all of them, too.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 12:52:06 PM »
I won't tolerate owning mean nasty cats. I've had my cats since they were kittens and the lot of them can be handled extensivly without even thinking of biting or scratching. If I boot someone (like Shaft for stealing Pharoh's food) they run away and sulk, and that's the way it should be.
Mean cats should directed back to hell and reside there on a perminate basis.

That family is rediculous. First, for owning the demon kitty and second, for being trapped in a bedroom by it.
I sorta agree all things considered.
I still think the father was wrong to kick the cat.  The baby actually started it by pulling the cat's tail. Hurt cat=cat reacts, because it's a cat, an animal.  Go to zoo and pull a lion's tail and see what happens.  It won't be fun.
Now I KNOW a   child as old as this kid can't really be easily disciplined about annoying animals but retaliating against the cat was the wrong way to handle this.  It's already annoyed because it's tail was hurt and then a double wammy; the adult kicks it.
Bottom line: if the cat and the child react badly and the matter can't be resolved, cat goes by-by and is "re-homed."

Back when my nephew was a baby and visited with my sister, I wondered about how my cat would mix.  Turned out the cat loved my sister but wouldn't be in the same room with my nephew, who was just learning crude words at the time.  I guess the cat "knew" it just wasn't gonna work out well.  But it was an acceptable arrangement.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:40:55 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 12:53:17 PM »
Polydactyl cat.  Very adept at using all of them, too.
Ok.. Yes, I've seen them.  And yes, if they have them they DO know how to use them.  If they had 12 on each foot they'd KNOW how to use them ..... :laugh:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 12:56:42 PM »
Ok.. Yes, I've seen them.  And yes, if they have them they DO know how to use them.  If they had 12 on each foot they'd KNOW how to use them ..... :laugh:

That one seemed a bit odd even for that level of polydactyly, though; the back feet were just wide to accommodate the extra toes, but the fronts actually had a slight gap, so it was four-and-two, roughly like a double thumb on each one.  She could dig like a ditch witch, too.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 08:48:01 PM »
What a pussy.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 06:48:55 AM »
I have plenty of big mean & nasty cats.
They just know that I'm bigger & can be meaner.  >:D

And I agree with those who said the humans started it in the OP.
Mess with a cat & it just might find a way to mess back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-oVhu2fu20
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 12:04:45 PM »
I sorta agree all things considered.
O still think the father was wrong to kick the cat.  The baby actually started it by pulling the cat's tail. Hurt cat=cat reacts, because it's a cat, an animal.  Go to zoo and pull a lion's tail and see what happens.  It won't be fun.
Now I KNOW a   child as old as this kid can't really be easily disciplined about annoying animals but retaliating against the cat was the wrong way to handle this.  It's already annoyed because it's tail was hurt and then a double wammy; the adult kicks it.
Bottom line: if the cat and the child react badly and the matter can't be resolved, cat goes by-by and is "re-homed."

Back when my nephew was a baby and visited with my sister, I wondered about how my cat would mix.  Turned out the cat loved my sister but wouldn't be in the same room with my nephew, who was just learning crude words at the time.  I guess the cat "knew" it just wasn't gonna work out well.  But it was an acceptable arrangement.

Which is how it should be.

We have a two year old running around our shop with the day boarders (some of whom are a little nervous) and most of them do very well with her. We just make sure that when they decide to hide out in the crates the two year old is occupied elsewhere.

It would be stupid to expect any companion animal to constantly tolerate a toddler, but I feel that an animal that decides to stay away to be kid safe and providing the animal with a bolt hole is usually the best bet.

Which makes me wonder if the cat was capable of really getting away from the kid. We taught the shop toddler "gentel" pretty early, but she still occasionally pulls at ears and tails or gets a little rough sometimes when she's excited and the dogs (and the cats she has at home) seem to know to get the hell out of dodge when she's on the warpath.
Most animals don't really care to get pulled on, but generally the first responce is run, not get nasty. The nasty only comes about when they get trapped and then get pulled on.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 06:04:09 PM »
We had two big wolf-mix dogs when our twins were little.

They learned to be gentle with the dogs.  They crawled around on the floor (what little there was in a 25' trailer) and fed the dogs with their hands.

Also had a kitty.  She slept in the crib with them.  Triplets  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 11:43:03 PM »
I can certainly see this being human caused.  Usually sensitive or jumpy animals don't keep freaking out for minutes after the incident which makes me wonder just what happened.  Did the guy try go off on the cat, but was unsuccessful?  Not enough detail to really condemn the cat. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2014, 11:48:28 PM »
I can certainly see this being human caused.  Usually sensitive or jumpy animals don't keep freaking out for minutes after the incident which makes me wonder just what happened.  Did the guy try go off on the cat, but was unsuccessful?  Not enough detail to really condemn the cat. 

The thing is, once an animal does it once, it's likely learned it can do it again.

=|
Thus my anger at people for setting up situations that cause these incedents. It's almost never the animals fault, but, there is a point at which you have to say "this animal is now dangorous and it is unsafe to keep it alive."
And we typically have to err on the side of caution, no matter how much it sucks.

And it really, really sucks sometimes. :'(
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 08:17:21 AM »
Which is how it should be.

We have a two year old running around our shop with the day boarders (some of whom are a little nervous) and most of them do very well with her. We just make sure that when they decide to hide out in the crates the two year old is occupied elsewhere.

It would be stupid to expect any companion animal to constantly tolerate a toddler, but I feel that an animal that decides to stay away to be kid safe and providing the animal with a bolt hole is usually the best bet.

Which makes me wonder if the cat was capable of really getting away from the kid. We taught the shop toddler "gentel" pretty early, but she still occasionally pulls at ears and tails or gets a little rough sometimes when she's excited and the dogs (and the cats she has at home) seem to know to get the hell out of dodge when she's on the warpath.
Most animals don't really care to get pulled on, but generally the first responce is run, not get nasty. The nasty only comes about when they get trapped and then get pulled on.

My dog's temperament is not only that she tolerates, but loves toddlers.  At 7 years old, she will still go crazy over a little kid.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”