Author Topic: Trapped in your bedroom by an angry cat? Call 911!  (Read 4519 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Trapped in your bedroom by an angry cat? Call 911!
« on: March 11, 2014, 04:09:23 PM »
http://www.king5.com/news/editors-pick/House-cat-goes-berserk-on-Portland-family-emhear-911-callem-249378991.html?google_editors_picks=true

http://www.latimes.com/nation/shareitnow/la-sh-22-pound-house-cat-traps-family-20140311,0,7902156.story#axzz2vgeI3iMv

So as a cat lover, I thought this was hilarious.  Although I am pretty sure I would not be trapped in my bedroom: Mr. Cat, meet Mr. Foot!

Let me be the first to ask: what caliber for a 22 pound angry screeching house cat?

PS: After watching the video on the LA Times site, I now have reservations as to if the family should have either a cat or a baby.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 04:15:04 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

JonnyB

• friend
Re: Trapped in your bedroom by an angry cat? Call 911!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 04:16:07 PM »
I just read that article. What a joke! How can the guy dare show his face in public after that?

Trapped by a house cat? Sheesh! Bocat? Lynx? Mountain Lion? Tiger? Hell yes!
House cat? Even a 22-pound fat bastard cat? Nuh-uh.
Boot to the head, a few stomps and buh-bye kitty-cat.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 05:38:23 PM »
So as a cat lover, I thought this was hilarious.  Although I am pretty sure I would not be trapped in my bedroom: Mr. Cat, meet Mr. Foot!

This sounds like a good argument for being a man.  You know, the sort of person who would have some heavy gloves around, and a fair idea of how to wrap a cat in a blanket then bounce it off the walls a few times..

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 06:22:56 PM »
A cat with "a history of violence"... and they can't decide whether they should give it away or keep it. After being so scared of it that they hid in a bedroom.

Um...  :facepalm:

Kids these days.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 07:40:40 PM »
Somebody find that guy and make him read this.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 07:43:07 PM »

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 09:57:47 PM »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 10:13:36 PM »
In Washington state, an 11 year old girl shot and killed a mountain lion.

Portland has the Palmer family.

:facepalm:
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 10:29:49 PM »
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 04:07:38 AM »
If I had a tears left I would weep for the future of this once great nation.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 06:54:39 AM »
I won't tolerate owning mean nasty cats. I've had my cats since they were kittens and the lot of them can be handled extensivly without even thinking of biting or scratching. If I boot someone (like Shaft for stealing Pharoh's food) they run away and sulk, and that's the way it should be.
Mean cats should directed back to hell and reside there on a perminate basis.

That family is rediculous. First, for owning the demon kitty and second, for being trapped in a bedroom by it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 07:38:15 AM »
Its going to be OK. The cat's going to get therapy.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/11/oregon-cat-that-trapped-family-to-get-therapy/

This guy?  http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/my-cat-from-hell

I would hate to think what these two persons over the age of majority might do if they could not get the lid off their organic, gluten-free, free-range, soy milk tofu sauce.  The horrors! just thinking about the trauma they would endure.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

griz

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 08:24:13 AM »
A long time ago I stopped by a gas station to get something to drink.  One of the clerks came out of the storage room and slammed the door behind her as if the hounds of hell were on the other side.  Talking to the other clerk, she said she didn't know what to do, she would pay somebody to get that wildcat out of there.  I had never seen a Bobcat, and wondered how one got in to the store, much less allowed itself to be cornered in a back room.  Turns out they meant wild cat, just a stray, so I agreed to tame the beast for 10 dollars.  I went in and was amazed to see a scared kitten in the corner.  I calmed it down and took it outside, and spent a little of my bounty money to buy it some milk.

But the situation in the article is different, the cat not only resorted to violence, it used harsh language too.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 09:06:53 AM »
I won't tolerate owning mean nasty cats. I've had my cats since they were kittens and the lot of them can be handled extensivly without even thinking of biting or scratching. If I boot someone (like Shaft for stealing Pharoh's food) they run away and sulk, and that's the way it should be.
Mean cats should directed back to hell and reside there on a perminate basis.

That family is rediculous. First, for owning the demon kitty and second, for being trapped in a bedroom by it.

Our cats are all sweet to us their palace staff.  But they fight among each other a lot.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 09:12:20 AM »
This sounds like a good argument for being a man.  You know, the sort of person who would have some heavy gloves around, and a fair idea of how to wrap a cat in a blanket then bounce it off the walls a few times..
Same here.  I was thinking that with or without gloves.  Yeah, it might scratch, but it's a scatch, not death.  Sometimes you have to act like the top predator and do some violence. 

On the other hand, I wonder if the cat is that mean or if other stuff is going on.  If that cat is that mean and belonged to me, it wouldn't belong to me very much longer. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »
Same here.  I was thinking that with or without gloves.  Yeah, it might scratch, but it's a scatch, not death.  Sometimes you have to act like the top predator and do some violence. 

On the other hand, I wonder if the cat is that mean or if other stuff is going on.  If that cat is that mean and belonged to me, it wouldn't belong to me very much longer. 

Mrs. B. and I had a Border Collie mix that we got from the local shelter as a pup. Nice dog but she often refused to submit when she was an adult. Sit on 'her' couch, and she'd growl, but softly. Pick her up to wash the mud off her in the laundry sink and she'd do the same. It kept getting more often, louder and more persistent. When we chastised her for any reason, or subjected her to any sort of discipline, she'd refuse to back down. Fearing that she'd eventually resort to a more physical response, we put her down.

I loved that dog dearly but she was going to be serious trouble, eventually.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 01:47:28 PM »
On the other hand, I wonder if the cat is that mean or if other stuff is going on. 

Putting myself in the cat's place as a long-time cat owner, the sequence of events was:

Toddler pulls cat's tail
Cat scratches toddler
Adult male kicks cat
Cat goes ballistic

I think this is actually pretty normal and instinctive for the cat.  The cat did not scratch the baby until provoked.  Not knowing how hard the cat was kicked, the cat may have freaked out due to pain.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »
Reminds me of the time I was trapped in a small room by a cougar..........for the weekend.......  ;)   =D

bob

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 02:50:52 PM »
Reminds me of the time I was trapped in a small room by a cougar..........for the weekend.......  ;)   =D

bob

Minus the 911 call, I'm guessing. :lol:
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 03:06:53 PM »

bob

I'll be in my bunk  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 04:53:25 PM »

While not death, cat scratches can be really nasty, especially if your even mildly allergic. Cats have nasty claws and leave their nasty behind in open wounds.
Cat bites are even worse. If a dog nicks me and it bleeds freely, I won't bother with antibotics. Cat? Hand over the cephelexen and no one gets hurt.

I've met some cats that really are that mean, that are not going to get with any program but their own, no matter how many walls you bounce them off of... and then I got to hold them down so they could be shaved (talk about an "OMG, OMG, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE" moment)

However, sturdy boots and thick pants should protect you well enough to kick cat into the stratasphere if it's out to get you.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 12:23:31 PM »
Steel toe boots have uses beyond simple foot safety.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »
I've met some cats that really are that mean, that are not going to get with any program but their own, no matter how many walls you bounce them off of... and then I got to hold them down so they could be shaved (talk about an "OMG, OMG, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE" moment)

Fencing jacket and mask, and old welding gauntlets.  Perfect for bathing a cat with six fully-clawed toes on each foot.  Amusing to wait for it to latch onto the mask's mesh, then do a quick yank-dunk-replace with the mask having the cat come off in the water.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 12:37:54 PM »
Fencing jacket and mask, and old welding gauntlets.  Perfect for bathing a cat with six fully-clawed toes on each foot.  Amusing to wait for it to latch onto the mask's mesh, then do a quick yank-dunk-replace with the mask having the cat come off in the water.

Count again.
Five on each front foot, four on each rear foot. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 12:39:20 PM »
Bedroom?

Invite the cat in and give it a blanket party.

OK, that is harsh and I wouldn't do that but the use of a blanket in a bedroom to subdue the cat seems obvious.

I caught a bat that way, it flew in an open window in my old house. I never replace the screen because I had never experienced bugs getting in the house from the second story.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.