Author Topic: To Laugh or Cry  (Read 701 times)

To Laugh or Cry
« on: September 15, 2006, 10:24:55 AM »
Guys.  There is something I thing you should see.  It is REALLY important.

http://laugh.on.nimp.org/

cosine

• Administrator
To Laugh or Cry
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 10:27:10 AM »
The truth is often funnier than fiction!
Andy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
To Laugh or Cry
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 10:28:29 AM »
A prestigious law school dropped ethics from its curriculum, as it was too confusing for the future lawyers.  You can't make that stuff up.
There's gotta be a Ron White joke in there somewhere...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

crt360

• friend
To Laugh or Cry
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 11:10:02 AM »
I hate to say it, but some of it is too confusing for practicing lawyers.  Not that the concept of being ethical is confusing, but the good intentioned rules that are revised more often than most lawyers read them are subject to varying interpretation.  Don't worry, depending on what state you practice in, you'll take enough Ethics CLE each year to be appreciative of the fact that you didn't waste extra time or money on it in law school.  Good luck with school, your bar exam, and finding a decent job.
For entertainment purposes only.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
To Laugh or Cry
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 11:11:52 AM »
Another board I frequent had a post last week from a girl wanting help cheating on her ethics assignment.

For some reason the class had to watch 'the road warrior' and she was too snooty/lazy to watch it herself.

She got no help, mostly for being too stuck up to appreciate a fine piece of cinema.

HankB

• friend
To Laugh or Cry
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 11:47:52 AM »
A prestigious law school dropped ethics from its curriculum, as it was too confusing for the future lawyers.
It's really not all that confusing. I remember a lawyer explaining it to his very young daughter.

Daughter: "Daddy, what are ethics"

Lawyer Dad: "Well, honey, suppose I prepare a will for a little old lady, and charge her $100 for it. She hands me a $100 bill, but as she's walking out, I notice that she actually handed me TWO $100 bills, stuck together."

"Ethics is when I ask myself the question 'Do I tell my partner or not?' "
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

To Laugh or Cry
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 12:50:34 PM »
Quote from: crt360
I hate to say it, but some of it is too confusing for practicing lawyers.  Not that the concept of being ethical is confusing, but the good intentioned rules that are revised more often than most lawyers read them are subject to varying interpretation.  Don't worry, depending on what state you practice in, you'll take enough Ethics CLE each year to be appreciative of the fact that you didn't waste extra time or money on it in law school.  Good luck with school, your bar exam, and finding a decent job.
Thanks for the well wishes Smiley

While no one can doubt ethics can certainly get confusing, especially with the complexity of law being so utterly confusing and specialized.... I would hope the basics, that spread across all areas of law wouldn't be too much to handle.  I also think ethics important enough to introduce early and often.  The Bar Assoc. publishes a scandal section... pages long... detailing the outright felonious actions of currently practicing lawyers.  Oddly enough, it also lists traffic violations...

Enough blather, time for another amusing story.

In my contracts class we were going over the concept of Good Faith, a princepal actually detailed in the Uniform Commerical Code.  Its just about as simple as it sounds.  Good faith has two parts, one subjective (honesty in fact) and the other objective (being in line with the current practices of the trade).  The basic idea is that a contract is supposed to be a bargain struck between two or more parties for mutual advantage, everybody wins.  You are not supposed to try and swindle someone with small print.  

One of my classmates (my ex-housemate in fact) could not understand this concept.  I chuckled at this because I know why he finds the idea difficult.  In the current lingo of the board, he is an asshat, regulery engaging in asshatery.