Author Topic: i bet he's glad he had a .308  (Read 1699 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
i bet he's glad he had a .308
« on: March 13, 2014, 01:15:45 PM »
This hunter in NC bagged a 500lb wild boar!  I didn't realize they were getting that big in the states. 

http://news.yahoo.com/giant-hog-boar-hunter-caught-500-pounds-133815315.html
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: i bet he's glad he had a .308
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 01:24:26 PM »
"Why did you use a .308?"
"Because I didn't have a .50."

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »
This hunter in NC bagged a 500lb wild boar!  I didn't realize they were getting that big in the states. 

http://news.yahoo.com/giant-hog-boar-hunter-caught-500-pounds-133815315.html

Feral pigs get huge if they can find enough food and stay alive, older boar can easily get to 500-800 lbs.

Market hogs are 230-250lbs and only 6-7 months old.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
If that dude was sitting any farther behind that hog he'd be in a different time zone.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 04:57:40 PM »
If that dude was sitting any farther behind that hog he'd be in a different time zone.

Haha, yep.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 05:13:05 PM »

He's not sitting . . .

:O
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:33:27 PM »
I know they are getting bigger and the population is exploding here in SC.

I almost hit one a couple of weeks ago while I was going home to visit my parents. It was a large one, would have *expletive deleted*ed my truck up pretty good. I jumped out with the AR and tried to get it but it was in the tree line and gone before I could pull the trigger.

We need to be hunting these things from helicopters with machine guns. Normal hunting isn't even putting a dent in their population.

Also the people commenting on the article and whining need to die in a fire...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 07:37:36 PM »

Yup.

Makes you think.  I can't imagine trying to ride that monster down with a spear, on horseback.   

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 12:38:37 AM »
Feral pigs get huge if they can find enough food and stay alive, older boar can easily get to 500-800 lbs.

Market hogs are 230-250lbs and only 6-7 months old.

I've gotten 300# in that length of time.
Most of the wild pigs are domestics that have escaped or been set free on purpose and gone feral so not surprising to see them getting that big.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 10:20:17 AM »
A friend I used to work with used his deer feeder to keep a big group of hogs fed on some land he hunted.  We would occasionally shoot one of the smaller ones at 150# or so.  There was a big male he had on his game camera that was at least 500 pounds, likely bigger. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 03:15:07 PM »

How about just giving them an opportunity to pet the nice piggy?
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 04:31:59 PM »
Until I read the comments in that article, I had no idea about the scope of the feral pig/boar problem in the South.  Holy Moly, that is a lot of pigs that lay waste to everything in their path.  I am surprised there is not some sort of bounty on them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 04:34:16 PM »
Until I read the comments in that article, I had no idea about the scope of the feral pig/boar problem in the South.  Holy Moly, that is a lot of pigs that lay waste to everything in their path.  I am surprised there is not some sort of bounty on them.

They're entrenched for sure.

It's been a problem going on 500-ish years +/-.

The Spaniards who reached Florida and the Gulf intentionally let pigs go, knowing how they'd breed, and be a ready food/hunting source for future expeditions.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 04:45:01 PM »
Given how difficult they are to kill and how fast they breed, I doubt even a good sized bounty would result in their eradication. Not exactly buffalo placidly waiting to get shot.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 05:18:45 PM »
Given how difficult they are to kill and how fast they breed, I doubt even a good sized bounty would result in their eradication. Not exactly buffalo placidly waiting to get shot.
We managed to do it here in the 18th century (more or less, they were officially wiped out). Then they were re-introduced several times, first on the island of Öland in 1723, but after complaints, they were once again eradicated about 3 decades later. Then they were re-introduced in the late 19th century in a small private game preserve, which is where the current population comes from after many of them escaped in the 1940s, and a decision by the Riksdag back in the late 1980s that wild boars were to be considered a natural part of the fauna once again. There's an estimated 200k-300k wild boars here. I've seen varying numbers regarding how many that are shot each year, ranging from 50k to as many as 160k.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 05:42:58 PM »
We managed to do it here in the 18th century (more or less, they were officially wiped out). Then they were re-introduced several times, first on the island of Öland in 1723, but after complaints, they were once again eradicated about 3 decades later. Then they were re-introduced in the late 19th century in a small private game preserve, which is where the current population comes from after many of them escaped in the 1940s, and a decision by the Riksdag back in the late 1980s that wild boars were to be considered a natural part of the fauna once again. There's an estimated 200k-300k wild boars here. I've seen varying numbers regarding how many that are shot each year, ranging from 50k to as many as 160k.

Sweden is a lot more inhospitable than the South.  ;)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 05:46:52 PM »
Sweden is a lot more inhospitable than the South.  ;)
Considering Southerners have more guns than we do, both in real numbers and per capita, they could make it real inhospitable for piggies if they wished. =D
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 09:46:30 PM »

A reasonably healthy sow can easily drop 2 litters a year with a dozen pigs not being out of the ordinary. And that litter being pretty much sefl sufficient in 4-5 or so and the females from that batch being ready to breed in less than a year. It's easy to see how they can get out of hand fast.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 11:49:30 PM »
So do these feral hogs have a fear of humans?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 03:06:53 AM »
Dayum. IIRC, 5.56 is generally sufficient for pigs... but for a 500lb model? Not so much.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 06:11:31 AM »
So do these feral hogs have a fear of humans?

Not if you are near them and they feel threatened

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 06:19:14 AM »
Until I read the comments in that article, I had no idea about the scope of the feral pig/boar problem in the South.  Holy Moly, that is a lot of pigs that lay waste to everything in their path.  I am surprised there is not some sort of bounty on them.

Considering Southerners have more guns than we do, both in real numbers and per capita, they could make it real inhospitable for piggies if they wished. =D

A major problem is that the game managment agencies treat hogs as game instead of pests, so you have a limited season and lots of restrictions (no NVGs, lights, suppressors etc) and so on. Kind of hard to eliminate a pest when you have one hand tied behind your back because the idiots think its still a game animal. Same goes for deer down here, too. Huge overpopulation not enough killing.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 09:33:19 AM »
A major problem is that the game managment agencies treat hogs as game instead of pests, so you have a limited season and lots of restrictions (no NVGs, lights, suppressors etc) and so on. Kind of hard to eliminate a pest when you have one hand tied behind your back because the idiots think its still a game animal. Same goes for deer down here, too. Huge overpopulation not enough killing.

They're not game animals in VA.  In NC, they're only game animals in the western (mtn) part of the state IIRC.  Ergo, it's open season year round.  From what I recall, lights and such are legal in NC.  I haven't checked into that for VA.

Dunno about other states, but the deer season is pretty long in VA.  Gun season alone runs late Nov through early Jan on public lands (WMAs, more restrictive on National Forest lands).  Private land hunters in Northern VA, where the population is the most troublesome, have a season that runs till mid March (does only).

BP and bow doesn't run any longer, but starts earlier.  Bow hunting will let you hunt from Sept to March if you have access to private lands and can take advantage of the special NoVA regs.

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »
and no license to hunt your own property in va. plus can check deer on the internet. i know one guy who went triple figures. and suspect several others did.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 12:11:53 AM »
They are not game in Texas and there are almost restrictions on them.  You can shoot them out of helicopters.  I think they are considered an invasive species. 

Some people shoot them to just kill them, but many shoot them for meat.  Considering they are also nocturnal, where I might see them, you have to go looking for them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge