Author Topic: Wisconsin CWP Case  (Read 1454 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Wisconsin CWP Case
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:21:41 AM »
http://weaselzippers.us/179873-milwaukee-man-who-fatally-shot-teens-beating-him-with-bat-jailed-on-possible-homicide-charges/

http://www.wnd.com/2014/03/police-victim-of-bat-attack-kills-black-attackers/

The 39-year-old worker, who has not been named by police, had his injuries treated at a hospital. He then was taken into custody at the Milwaukee County Jail on suspicion of committing two counts of first-degree intentional homicide, Milwaukee’s WITI-TV reported.

REALLY.

Anything more to this? Based on available data it seems like a good shoot.  Guy was ambushed, held down, beat. THEN he shot.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Wisconsin CWP Case
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:27:04 AM »
http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/Police-Man-shoots-kills-2-teens-during-beating-249975881.html

A maintenance worker who fatally shot two teens as he was being beaten with a baseball bat in Milwaukee is out of jail while prosecutors continue their investigation.

The man was released from jail Friday after initially being arrested on possible homicide charges.

I don't think he should have been jailed, but the fact that they have released him indicates the police are likely thinking self-defense as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 10:06:35 AM »
Perps and victim/shooter are all black.

Between the race of everyone involved, and that it's a good shoot, by the usual media calculus, this will disappear down the memory hole STAT. The police did arrest and book him, but it seemed a pro-forma thing, perhaps in case new info came to light, and not arresting him would weaken the case, should they later decide they had one.

There's also some indications that the victim/carrier was carrying only concerned with his own safety as a property manager on the near-ghetto property he supervised, and does not care about the larger RKBA questions, so it's unlikely he'll be a CCW poster boy trotted out by any pro-gun groups anytime soon either.
I promise not to duck.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »

There's also some indications that the victim/carrier was carrying only concerned with his own safety as a property manager on the near-ghetto property he supervised, and does not care about the larger RKBA questions, so it's unlikely he'll be a CCW poster boy trotted out by any pro-gun groups anytime soon either.

I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure why it matters. That is the point of CCW for the vast majority of the population after all--not becoming a sheepdog operator but looking out for one's own hide. Nothing wrong with that and no reason he shouldn't be interviewed by Ayoob nor featured in The Armed Citizen.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 01:44:20 PM »

I think that given what happened with George Zimmerman, before we go holding up any given CCW shooter as an example they're going to have to be thoroughly vetted. 

Also, in this case the dude probably doesn't want  to be in the media any more than he has to be.  He has to continue working with the people in the area, after all.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 05:02:20 PM »
I'm not surprised at all that he was arrested in Edward Flynn's town:

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it"
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »
I think that given what happened with George Zimmerman, before we go holding up any given CCW shooter as an example they're going to have to be thoroughly vetted. 

Also, in this case the dude probably doesn't want  to be in the media any more than he has to be.  He has to continue working with the people in the area, after all.

Meh, who was holding him up as an example?  Most gunnies on APS were holding judgement and as facts came out it looked more & more as a good shoot he got more support from gunnies against the lynch mob.

IMO, even imperfect folk ought to be bale to defend themselves.  Even those who go a little wonky after becoming (in)famous.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 05:25:06 PM »
I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure why it matters. That is the point of CCW for the vast majority of the population after all--not becoming a sheepdog operator but looking out for one's own hide. Nothing wrong with that and no reason he shouldn't be interviewed by Ayoob nor featured in The Armed Citizen.

Yes, understood.

I'm just pointing out he's not going to willfully (re)interject himself into the news cycle on that basis, which could have kept the story going.

Also as Monkeyleg can attest first-hand from the days we were trying to get CCW passed, there's a great deal of antipathy from the black Milwaukee community towards CCW, the general consensus being "It's better our (criminal) kids get away with it, than get shot..." Since the victim/shooter is black, it's likely he'd distance himself from letting himself be used, or volunteering as some sort of pro-RKBA figurehead. The idea that urban blacks who bear the majority of the crime in the state of WI at the hands of their own neighbors would benefit the most from CCW doesn't play into it.  Plus the usual divide of resisting anything perceived as being suburban/rural, conservative, and "white".

Since school choice, despite the black support for it, has never become a successful wedge issue, no way in hell CCW will be in this decade or the next.

Well, unless they send Colin Noir down with lots of hip NRA swag to woo him or something.  =D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:31:21 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 05:50:30 PM »
Plus the usual divide of resisting anything perceived as being suburban/rural, conservative, and "white".

Its the suburban/rural, coinservative, whites' fault that the man was armed and shot a couple of urban choir members- that is how a lot of them actually view these things.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 06:43:24 PM »
Its the suburban/rural, coinservative, whites' fault that the man was armed and shot a couple of urban choir members- that is how a lot of them actually view these things.

Gun control == OSHA, among certain demographics.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin