Author Topic: Electronics projects anyone?  (Read 1726 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Electronics projects anyone?
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »

So, what nifty projects have folks been up to? 

I was talking to Nick, and he mentioned a Pi/HVAC project he was working on. I had a couple sensor projects and figured it'd make a good thread.  Part of this is to hawk a Netduino, which is free for anyone that wants it. It's not the easiest (IMHO) platform, but it's a arduino knockoff so it's still relatively easy for folks to use. If anyone gets inspired, lemme know and I'll ship you your very own microcontroller.

Lately I've been spending most of my time with the BeagleBone Black. It is not a microcontroller, but rather a full PC, for $35. You can directly hook up a monitor and keyboard, and use it as a normal if a bit slow desktop. It just happen to have ports on it handy for directly putting in electronics. I snagged a prototyping/perf board and slapped on a couple sensors. Literally just a photovoltiac resistor, a temperature sensor and a normal resistor.

There are python libraries and scripts out there to make it pretty easy to report back info from whatever sensor you want to plug in. The default Linux OS on the device is frankly horrible, but you can easily slap on plenty of other pre-formatted operating systems, with Ubuntu being the most community supported. Folks also sell pre-formatted SD cards with Ubuntu running on it.

I do readings every ten minutes and with a 32Gb SD card (which is about $20), that'll hold oh, couple decades worth of entries on the MySQL database I installed in minutes. With compression, it'd be centuries worth of data.

Live feed of the temp data, using pChart: http://climate.fwdportal.com/

BeagleBone (same apply for the Raspberry Pi)
Pros: It can run off the shelf software, easy ethernet/WiFi, can use USB stuff with ease
Cons: Not good for low power (ie powered off batteries), development can be more complex, doesn't like all sensors

On the flip side is the microcontroller, such as the ubiquitious Arduino. Cheaper historically ($25) and easier to use. Not a full PC, so there's less overhead. You also have a lot less space to store programs or data.

Pros: Cheaper, uses less power, easily run off batteries or solar, easy to use just about any sensor
Cons: Harder to do complex tasks, need add-on shields for storage/networking/etc

So, besides reading the current temperature, anyone else have any electronics projects they've been toying with?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Electronics projects anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:22:34 PM »
As noted, I'm mucking about with temperature/humidity sensors on an HVAC system.  While I'm not quite at the point where I want to really lay out the project in public [yall will be the first to know], here's an "in progress" snapshot:

I'll note that any full-fledged computer system with decent electrical I/O support is very handy for prototyping things.  It opens doors that we didn't even have in the past.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 11:11:17 PM »
Umm...I soldered a new 3.5mm jack onto one of my good pairs of headphones because the old one had a short. That count?  =D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 11:14:53 PM »
I wish I had time for tinkering.  :'(
Andy

birdman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 11:18:48 PM »
Does the 16,000+ element active acoustic phased array (individual element phase and intensity control) with precision video object tracking that's in my garage workshop count?
It only has 1024 pic16 and 64 pic32 micro controllers on it :)

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:23:19 PM »
Does the 16,000+ element active acoustic phased array (individual element phase and intensity control) with precision video object tracking that's in my garage workshop count?

Honestly, I'm impressed by anyone who can really write code to make a micro perform.  I can do what I need to, through various layers of obfuscation -- but my bread and butter has always been physical work with metal.  [That said, professionally I write java for health-care IT.   :P ]

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 11:26:36 PM »
Um.....  I'm gonna go with....  YES.   (but only if you show us pictures)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

birdman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 11:27:50 PM »
Honestly, I'm impressed by anyone who can really write code to make a micro perform.  I can do what I need to, through various layers of obfuscation -- but my bread and butter has always been physical work with metal.  [That said, professionally I write java for health-care IT.   :P ]

When things have to be truly real-time, you need the level of instruction cycle control only a MCU can provide.

Well, that and I have one of the best (in my opinion) combo hardware/software (especially microcontroller) guys I know doing the details (our very own mangle).

Um.....  I'm gonna go with....  YES.   (but only if you show us pictures)

Pictures are proprietary for now, unfortunately.  But soon...very soon.

The stack of test equipment in the garage lab is growing at an insane rate.
Impedance analyzer, 4 programmable multi-channel power supplies, agilent waveform generators, couple of 4-channel scopes, two high speed 8/16 channel DAQs, and a few weeks ago, we added a laser vibrometer (measures nm level displacements of a spot less than 3-5 microns across.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 11:32:05 PM »
Assembled/soldered a kit from Make magazine/website that's an infra-red LED jammer.
So when all my office-mates are flying their Syma x107 toy helicopters, they just fall from the sky in unison.

Meanwhile, my Hubsan quadcopter flies merrily on, as it uses 2.4ghz RF control.  >:D
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 11:32:39 PM »

*gigglesnort*

What's the max effective range? Using piezoelectric transducers?

You're making an acoustic time delay device, yes?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 11:34:29 PM »
Cool!  The air motion transformer drivers in my ESS/Heil speakers are starting to go.  Sounds like Birdman's system could nail down that problem, and proper staging in my listening room...    :P
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 11:35:02 PM »
*gigglesnort*

What's the max effective range? Using piezoelectric transducers?

You're making an acoustic time delay device, yes?
Not what you think.
Transducers aren't what you think (I actually invented them)
And not what you think
:)
Cool!  The air motion transformer drivers in my ESS/Heil speakers are starting to go.  Sounds like Birdman's system could nail down that problem, and proper staging in my listening room...    :P
Nope, not what you think :)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 11:39:43 PM »

*perk* Really? So, it's not just an ultra precision compacted radar. Interesting, that. My only other off the shelf guess would be,,,  vortices, perhaps? That'd be interesting in and out of itself, but merely ueber state of the art. Otherwise, I'm deeply curious.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 11:44:59 PM »
*perk* Really? So, it's not just an ultra precision compacted radar. Interesting, that. My only other off the shelf guess would be,,,  vortices, perhaps? That'd be interesting in and out of itself, but merely ueber state of the art. Otherwise, I'm deeply curious.

Don't bother guessing, I'll go public with what it is in a bit.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 11:52:20 PM »
When I first read the description, the only thing that popped to mind is some kind of automated accoustic area denial device.

Then I read the level of accuracy you're measuring things to and now I'm not so sure....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 11:53:20 PM »
Ooo, very nifty. And more practical than I expected.

Yea, my projects tend to be more mundane.  =D

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 12:21:00 AM »
Built a headphone amp, and a fuzz pedal.  Repaired a ping-pong/reverb pedal and a digital effects pedal.  Next is a proper bypass modification for something called a "boss chorus." It uses some kind of JK latch thing and the owner wants a clicky switch thingy bypass instead of the soft on/off.

Oddly, I don't have an electric guitar.  I also have very little interest in analog stuff.

Guys at work figured out I can build things and started piling broken gear and components on my desk.  I'm waiting for something ridiculous like a tube amp to show up.

Fitz, don't get any ideas.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:26:49 AM by Azrael256 »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 01:22:27 AM »
I rubbed a balloon on my head and stuck it on the wall. Then I laughed.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 01:37:53 AM »
I spliced in a repair on my boat trailer lights. I even broke out my big Weller gun. Solder and heat shrink.  Nice looking repair.

Apparently though there is another break in the wiring that I didn't take the time to trace out yet.

After more than 33 years working with electronical doodads and for many years slinging a soldering iron 8 hours a day 5. Days a week, come my time I generally find something else to do for play.

I am however, starting to spec out a solar charging system for my boat. Probably keep it kind of smallish in the 85-100 watt range.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 11:53:22 AM »
Currently building a low budget CNC mill similar to this. Planned use is cutting parts for R/C aircraft, and there may be a walnut AR-15 lower in my future too.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 01:00:37 PM »
Currently building a low budget CNC mill similar to this. Planned use is cutting parts for R/C aircraft, and there may be a walnut AR-15 lower in my future too.

What sort of RC aircraft parts?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 01:10:32 PM »
I spliced in a repair on my boat trailer lights. I even broke out my big Weller gun. Solder and heat shrink.  Nice looking repair.

Same thing here.  Last year I put a new bumper on the land cruiser.  Whatever mental giant installed the after market trailer wiring harness routed the cable through at least 2 different holes on the OEM bumper so I had to chop the plug off.  I forgot about it since I very rarely tow anything.  I needed to tow a trailer Sunday so I wired in a new plug on Saturday.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 08:37:33 PM »
Nothing going on right now.  Just focused on getting my 1900 sq. ft. shop/ham shack/computer room/rocket lab set up in our new house.  Lots of shelves to build, floors to epoxy, walls to paint, electric wiring to put in, network cable to punch down, etc.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »
Nothing going on right now.  Just focused on getting my 1900 sq. ft. shop/ham shack/computer room/rocket lab set up in our new house.  Lots of shelves to build, floors to epoxy, walls to paint, electric wiring to put in, network cable to punch down, etc.

Pics!

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 08:56:05 AM »

Hey, bedlamite! My son writes for a few RC magazines - print and emag both. Perhaps, when t=you're finished, you and he can get together for a product review/intro.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!