Author Topic: Hating on GM  (Read 2667 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Hating on GM
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 03:54:55 PM »
Vehicles designed without power assist usually suffer no power assist consequences from engine events, having no power assist to disable.  This is in reference to the pre-power assist vehicles and occasional more modern vehicle without power steering.
Power steering having been around as an option since what - the 1950s  =|

This is precisely the scenario described in the recall.  It is also worth noting that GM has instructed owners to remove the OEM key fob from the keyring along with any other items.
Well, after owning one of the affected vehicles for six years, and living out on extremely bumpy gravel/dirt roads, this is one problem that we have yet to experience.

I really question this happening on the highway unless you have a half pound of stuff hanging from your key ring, or more likely accidently bumped it while holding your beer between your legs.  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »
Power steering having been around as an option since what - the 1950s  =|

Long before that, as it happens.  1876 if Popular Mechanics is to be believed.  Still, not standard on every vehicle into the 1980s (possibly later, that's just the last I recall).  The point stands.  Vehicles with no power assist either through design or known defect do not and cannot suffer sudden unexpected failure of power assist systems. 
Great grandpa pulling his jalopy into the hospital parking lot by a jumper cable in his teeth while being attacked by a pack of rabid Chihuahuas while having his fourteenth stroke isn't the issue.  The occasional moment in which a sudden power loss can have fatal consequences, and the knowledge that such a situation could and already had occurred, for a decade, as the result of an engineering failure is what's making the news.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 04:57:51 PM »
Great my car is on the list!  =|

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 05:59:48 PM »
Power steering is only for low speed driving, at highway speeds, its not needed.

Some fancier ones even bypass the pump entirely at cruising speed so it can freewheel and reduce engine load.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 06:02:39 PM »
So the traction control stopping you in the middle of the road without warning is more dangerous than complete power failure stopping you without warning, power brakes, power steering, or airbags?

Absolutely.  Power loss is the same thing that happens when the timing belt breaks or even just when the car runs out of gas.  The car remains, by design, very controllable for anyone who doesn't panic.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 08:09:09 PM »
Long before that, as it happens.  1876 if Popular Mechanics is to be believed.  Still, not standard on every vehicle into the 1980s (possibly later, that's just the last I recall).  The point stands.  Vehicles with no power assist either through design or known defect do not and cannot suffer sudden unexpected failure of power assist systems. 

And your fokking point is  ???

Might not be standard but vast majority have had power steering going on the last 40 years or so.

Don't make me grumpier  :mad:  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 08:15:05 PM »
And your fokking point is  ???

Might not be standard but vast majority have had power steering going on the last 40 years or so.

Don't make me grumpier  :mad:  >:D

Wow.  Polite, remember?