Author Topic: You're gonna die! (Or maybe not.) Zombies  (Read 3603 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
You're gonna die! (Or maybe not.) Zombies
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:32:43 PM »
You're gonna die!  (Or maybe not.)  From zombies.

http://blog.estately.com/2014/03/u-s-states-ranked-from-most-to-least-prepared-for-the-zombie-apocalypse/

The metrics they used to come up with this list are subject to debate.  So, let the debate begin.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: You're gonna die! (Or maybe not.) Zombies
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:44:28 PM »
Clearly we will have to load up the Escape with guns and ammo and try to make it to Idaho, the nearest high-ranking state.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:46:23 PM »
There is something wrong with their math. DC is already 100% zombies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 08:23:30 AM »
I may be in trouble, having just moved to one of the least prepared states.  Time to buy more guns and ammo.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:31:59 AM »
My section of Ill-i-noise is going to be somewhat better prepared than the paved over corner part.  Which is probably where all the zombies will come from.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »
Okay, I am trying to understand why martial arts, laser tag, and paintball have anything to do with surviving the Zombie Apocalypse.  Other than perhaps physical fitness, would martial arts even apply to Zombies.  I personnally don't think paintball and laser tag do much for firearms preparedness.  Also, paintball strategies likely won't work to well on Zombies. 

I guess it depends on who you think you will be fighting.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 09:22:57 AM »
Mainly, they don't take climate into account. Here in MN zombies will be frozen in ice and stuck in snowdrifts, making survival far more likely.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 09:33:27 AM »
NY is at 48. Well, blow the bridges from NYC and most of NY won't be doing too poorly.  APS'ers are 3%ers anyway.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 09:34:16 AM »
Okay, I am trying to understand why martial arts, laser tag, and paintball have anything to do with surviving the Zombie Apocalypse.  Other than perhaps physical fitness, would martial arts even apply to Zombies.  I personnally don't think paintball and laser tag do much for firearms preparedness.  Also, paintball strategies likely won't work to well on Zombies. 

I guess it depends on who you think you will be fighting.

Because the chart was designed by a hipster in NYC?

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 09:40:30 AM »
Okay, I am trying to understand why martial arts, laser tag, and paintball have anything to do with surviving the Zombie Apocalypse.

Because, dude, zombies hate pigmented liquids, coherent light, and Jackie Chan.  Everybody knows that.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 01:19:07 PM »
Yeah, that chart is fail.  Paintball discourages headshots.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 03:56:27 PM »
The problem in Montana is discerning zombies from local residents  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 04:17:08 PM »
Yeah, that chart is fail.  Paintball discourages headshots.

It's laughably far from perfect, and it's nowhere near actual military or paramilitary training, but anyone who has ever played paintball, or a serious Airsoft game, they're lightyears ahead of anyone who's ever sat at a bench and just punched paper.

There's tons of limitations of course, "concealment" becomes actual cover with low velocity/low-mass BB's and paintballs, and they're visible in flight which gives you a tracer-like effect which allows you to walk fire into the target, which discourages actual marksmanship.  And since it's not lethal, you will become more aggressive than you should in any real situation with real ammo.

But what you do get out of it, a little taste of the "fog of war", getting tunnel-vision your first time, avoiding tunnel vision, watching your flanks, getting a physical sense of what happens when you do have good communication and a plan, and when you don't, the difference between shooting and shooting and moving, and being shot back at, all very valuable gut-level lessons.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 04:46:42 PM »
NY is at 48. Well, blow the bridges from NYC and most of NY won't be doing too poorly.  APS'ers are 3%ers anyway.
Why wait?  If it is a good thing with Zombies, it might be equally good without them.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »
It's laughably far from perfect, and it's nowhere near actual military or paramilitary training, but anyone who has ever played paintball, or a serious Airsoft game, they're lightyears ahead of anyone who's ever sat at a bench and just punched paper.

There's tons of limitations of course, "concealment" becomes actual cover with low velocity/low-mass BB's and paintballs, and they're visible in flight which gives you a tracer-like effect which allows you to walk fire into the target, which discourages actual marksmanship.  And since it's not lethal, you will become more aggressive than you should in any real situation with real ammo.

But what you do get out of it, a little taste of the "fog of war", getting tunnel-vision your first time, avoiding tunnel vision, watching your flanks, getting a physical sense of what happens when you do have good communication and a plan, and when you don't, the difference between shooting and shooting and moving, and being shot back at, all very valuable gut-level lessons.

But we are talking about Zombies.  Unless you are talking about fighting other people trying to steal your stuff; then I can understand and at least partially agree.  Similar to playing first person shooter games online rather than playing the computer all the time.  Completely different. 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »
But we are talking about Zombies.  Unless you are talking about fighting other people trying to steal your stuff; then I can understand and at least partially agree.  Similar to playing first person shooter games online rather than playing the computer all the time.  Completely different. 

Just the willingness to pull the trigger on another "human" comes into play. Especially in the early days when the infected are "fresher"... Not fragging your friends etc. Not being afraid of shooting in general. And obviously if it's a fast zombie/rage-zombie scenario, and not a rot/slow zombie one, it has more bearing.

I know people who've gotten physically ill from nerves/sweats/adrenaline at being told to hold unloaded Airsoft in a theater class about prop weapons/guns.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 05:12:09 PM »
WI is ranked #1 for laser tag.lol.
Its pretty popular for kids birthday parties around here.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 05:21:56 PM »
WI is ranked #1 for laser tag.lol.
Its pretty popular for kids birthday parties around here.

I've got a co-worker who's REALLY into laser tag. Apparently the places attached to pizza/party places are really looked down on. There's also a high concentration of more "pro level" places.

http://www.cmptactical.com/store/page/id/13/

The rifles and gear are coded to be different things kind of like the MILES system, and the lasers are coded/pulsed for different weapons, and a logical hierarchy of how far they shoot, what they can shoot, what happens to you when shot, and things like suitcase timer bombs and stuff for advanced versions of scenario play etc.
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 05:41:11 PM »
Apparently the places attached to pizza/party places are really looked down on.

I've been to the one in waukesha 3-4 times with the kids for various events- sometimes the equipment doesn't work right and it sucks- (just like real life), but it was fun anyway.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 05:56:49 PM »
Similar to playing first person shooter games online rather than playing the computer all the time.  Completely different.

If the zombies have an aimbot, I'm just going to hide and work out how to blow the planet apart.