Author Topic: Reno Air Races  (Read 819 times)

esheato

• friend
Reno Air Races
« on: September 16, 2006, 11:14:48 AM »
Thought you guys might enjoy these.

I attended the Reno Air Races on Friday. Got some great pics of fighter aircraft and the USAF Thunderbirds. Race aircraft are a bit more difficult to photograph as they're always turning away from you. The grandstand is on the outside of the track, and I don't have a press pass to get on the inside.

Enjoy.

Ed

F-15 Eagle rolling

USAF Thunderbird during a slow pass

100% crop of the pilot looking towards the grandstand

Thunderbird in full afterburner

F-18 pulling a hard climb

P-51 Mustang on the ground after one of the races

F-4 Phantom silhouetted against the clouds

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Reno Air Races
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 11:48:56 AM »
ooooooooh... pretty!

GREAT shots, especially the P51. The colors just pop and it's sharp as a tack (ain't Canon L-series glass just friggin' great!).

Which camera body do you use?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

esheato

• friend
Reno Air Races
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 12:08:47 PM »
Thanks Brad! I'm using a Rebel XT. I figured I'd spend my money on lenses. A body is a body in my mind...the lenses are where it's at!

The L-series glass is impressive. On top of the 100-400L, I picked up a 24-105L as my regular walking around lens.  I'm heading up to Oregon/Washington in the beginning of October for a vacation and I plan on using that 24-105 a whole lot!

Ed

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Reno Air Races
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 03:10:35 PM »
Ed,
Muy bueno!!!!
Too bad you couldn't get more of the warbirds. Love the P-51.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Reno Air Races
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 03:40:50 PM »
I live in Reno and really wanted to go.

My truck is having major difficulties...
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Reno Air Races
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 04:37:59 PM »
My favorite is the F-15. It's usually a challenge to get a shot  like that against the blue sky background.

Other than that, my post would be the same as Brad's. "L" is the stuff. You're on the right track, it's the glass. Have you tried printing any of them? Doesn't the Rebel use the smaller sensor? I'm wondering how that affects things?

esheato

• friend
Reno Air Races
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »
Thanks for all the great comments. I put a lot of effort into getting these right so it is nice to hear such great feedback.

The Rebel does have the small sensor. I don't notice any problems unless you want wide shots. The crop factor takes a bit away from the ultra wide lenses.

When I'm using the 100-400 though, it usually helps with those really far shots.

Ed

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Reno Air Races
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 05:18:29 PM »
Sweeeeeeeeet pics!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Stickjockey

• friend
Reno Air Races
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 03:48:52 AM »
Ain't nuttin' like the sound o' them ol' Fitty-ones. Ahh, Mustangs!
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Reno Air Races
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 06:10:46 PM »
There absolutely no mistaking a Rolls-Royce Merlin, sitting there popping and spitting on the tarmac, just waiting to be unleashed. No sound like it in the world.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB