Author Topic: Congress is Underpaid  (Read 2009 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Congress is Underpaid
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 10:03:03 PM »
Yeah?  Well, I'm underpaid . . . according to me.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:25:09 PM »
Guess that's why they try so hard bi-yearly to retain that job.  They're so underpaid they have to spend millions to stay employed.
Formerly sumpnz

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:37:28 PM »
*expletive deleted* *expletive deleted* *expletive deleted* *expletive deleted* *expletive deleted* *expletive deleted* *expletive deleted*  [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] *expletive deleted**expletive deleted* *expletive deleted*

That about sums it up.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 10:56:40 PM »
Guess that's why they try so hard bi-yearly to retain that job.  They're so underpaid they have to spend millions to stay employed.
Exactly.  They aren't in it for the salary.

I would be all for doubling ... No, make that tripling their salary if it could be effectively enforced that any use of position or legislation for personal gain (including impacting existing investments) or the enrichment of friends or family would result in immediate termination. Have multi-million dollar fines in place for legislators who take jobs working for companies who benefitted from legislation a lawmaker supported after leaving office.

Add in a requirement that voting for laws struck down as unconstitutional results in an immediate felony conviction with a minimum of five years in prison and you can quadruple it.

Heck, make pork spending or running a deficit punishable by firing, forty-nine lashes and two days in the stocks near a fish market and we can multiply their current salary by ten and it will be the best investment we have ever made.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 12:08:44 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 09:22:13 AM »
for most of them, increasing their salary by 100x with the agreement that they never show up for work would be a bargain.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 03:39:59 PM »
Exactly.  They aren't in it for the salary.

I would be all for doubling ... No, make that tripling their salary if it could be effectively enforced that any use of position or legislation for personal gain (including impacting existing investments) or the enrichment of friends or family would result in immediate termination. Have multi-million dollar fines in place for legislators who take jobs working for companies who benefitted from legislation a lawmaker supported after leaving office.

Add in a requirement that voting for laws struck down as unconstitutional results in an immediate felony conviction with a minimum of five years in prison and you can quadruple it.

Heck, make pork spending or running a deficit punishable by firing, forty-nine lashes and two days in the stocks near a fish market and we can multiply their current salary by ten and it will be the best investment we have ever made.

The crux of the biscuit.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 04:46:02 PM »
It should be per diem.

With the legislative sessions limited to ten days.

"But Terry, nothing would get done in only ten days!"

"Right,"  Terry replied, grinning.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 07:17:22 PM »
It should be per diem.

With the legislative sessions limited to ten days.

"But Terry, nothing would get done in only ten days!"

"Right,"  Terry replied, grinning.

That's a negative, Ghostrider.

Dormitory barracks for Congresspersons, with R. Lee Ermey as Sergeant at Arms to ensure attendance at legislative session, meals in communal cafeteria, issuance of uniforms.

"You get to sleep in your own bed, eat your own meals and wear your street clothes when the legislative session is gavelled to a close."
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 01:43:23 AM »
Dormitory barracks for Congresspersons, with R. Lee Ermey as Sergeant at Arms to ensure attendance at legislative session, meals in communal cafeteria, issuance of uniforms.

And, since everything's being provided for them, nothing more than E2 pay.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »
Most congresscritters were millionaires before the became a member.  Those that weren't will be by the time they leave.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 09:01:13 AM »
Doesn't Congress control how much it is in session?  Why don't they restrict sessions to about 2 three month stretches each year and spend less time in DC out side that.  No really needs Congress in session 24/7/365. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 05:43:56 PM »
Thinking on this a little more:  We need to do the same thing to Congress that many employers are doing to employees because of ObamaCare.  Put them on a monthly salary based on current pay, only pay them for each month in session (more than 10 business days) then tell them they can only be in session 6 months out of the year.  Make them part time employees and pay them accordingly. 

Or just set their pay at minimum wage.  On second thought, that is a bad idea.  They would just increase minimum wage again.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 10:08:34 PM »
Pay them $10M dollars each, times revenue, divided by spending.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »
Pay them $10M dollars each, times revenue, divided by spending.

Hmmmm.... with a little refinement and tuning, that looks like it could be a viable system.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.