Author Topic: More on GMC Sierra - 4WD without limited slip?  (Read 1340 times)

DJJ

• friend
More on GMC Sierra - 4WD without limited slip?
« on: September 16, 2006, 07:46:39 PM »
My brother and I got into his rear differential today, and I would bet my life that it's not a limited slip. It had the ring & pinion, and the 4 gears arranged in a rectangle, and that's it. Wouldn't a limited slip have additional parts in there, or was there something I didn't recognize? Based on my research, I believe it's a Dana product.

Isn't it kind of odd that a 4WD wouldn't have limited slip?

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 08:20:47 PM »
Unless it's special order, very few vehicles have a locking differential.

I haven't been inside a GM locker for a helluva long time.  About forty years back they changed from using tapered ramps to a clutch-pack deal with a Bellville spring.  Dunno if it's the same today, but it would be very obvious if some sort of locker was in the diff.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Chuck Dye

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 08:24:17 PM »
When I ordered my Yukon, limited slip - labeled "locking differential"- was an option.

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 03:58:06 AM »
yep
that's true
most 4wd's from the factory don't have limited slip.
To be a serious 4wd, you have to add it.
or not drive in bad places. Smiley
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

onions!

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 05:06:33 AM »
A lot depends on where you live.

Around here 2wd trucks are special order & posi is common.

Look inside the trucks glovebox.You'll find a white sticker about 3x5 inches.The top portion is covered w/three character alpha-numeric codes.If the code"G80" is there the truck was equiped w/a limited slip rr diff.

If the truck was built between 1973 & 1999 then,unless it's a one ton dually w/a very high GVW the axle is one of three GM corporate axles.Sourced through GM Powertrain(Eaton),they came in 8.5in,9.5in,& 10.5in ring gear diameters.The first two use a C-clip to retain the axle shaft & have either a round(8.5in) 10 bolt cover or an irregular egg shaped(9.5in) 14 bolt rr cover over the differential.The 10.5in axle uses 14 bolts on the diamond shaped rr cover,has a removable pinion housing,& 8 bolts to hold the axle shaft to the hub.This last axle is what's called a full-float design.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 08:10:17 AM »
My Trailblazer has the GM locking differential. I had to special order it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 01:07:01 PM »
My 2002 Subaru Forester S has AWD and a limited-slip differential on the rear axle. See, I really didn't buy the fancy model just for the big sun roof, 16-in. wheels and cheap heated leather seats.  Wink

John

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 06:24:31 AM »
"I dunno but I been told...."

...that most 4X4 trucks have limited slip on the FRONT axle, and an open diffrential on the REAR, unless custom ordered differently.  Apparently, limited slip at both ends has a tendancy to crawl off of icy pavement sideways, especially at "too fast" speeds.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 06:34:11 AM »
Most 4x4s don't have limited slip or locking differentials. Integrated 4-wheel ABS systems are taking their place today, and are probably as good or better if you're using your 4x4 SUV as foul-weather transport on pavement. For serious off-roading . . . I'm not so sure.

My old '84 Bronco had limited slip axles both front and rear, but a front limited slip was not an option when I bought my '93 Explorer - rear only.

One easy way to determine if you actually have limited slip is to put the vehicle up on a lift and manually rotate one tire - if the other tire on the same axle turns in the same direction, it's got limited slip. If it turns in the opposite direction - it doesn't.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

onions!

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 01:58:04 PM »
Quote from: HankB
Most 4x4s don't have limited slip or locking differentials.
Mmmmm,like I said,must be a regional thing.I asked the sales manager @ the GMC dealership I work at what percentage of light duty trucks sold were equipped w/a posi/limited slip rr axle.Expecting a figure of around 30% I was suprised when he told me"Unless it's a special order (fleet) or a stripper(no options-AKA a "beer can") all the trucks we get come w/G80(posi)".He told me that it's part of an option package that's so popular that they just order them all w/it.Basically it comes to a percentage in the mid nineties.

I can see where some of the confusion exists though.Before 1990 options like external engine oil,transmission fluid,& power steering coolers were almost unheard of.I forget which recent year it was but A/C(!) became standard not too long ago.You have to order it as a delete option to not get it(same w/the radio).