Author Topic: Fake or Fact?  (Read 859 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Fake or Fact?
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:43:42 AM »
Heard about this while monitoring the enemy radio (NPR) last night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response

Being as I am "deaf in both eyes and blind in one ear" I'm pretty sure the only thing I experience on encountering what maybe is this is being pissed off at not being able to hear/understand what someone was saying.

And given that more than half the movie actors draw that response from me, I'm wondering if this is a "thing" in Hollywood, as opposed to simply being that more than half the movie actors just suck and piss me off.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Fake or Fact?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:46:09 AM »
Looks like the pseudo-intellectual pseudo-scientific community has espoused another "New Age" concept as their own.

Bunch of clap-trap. My day is worse for having clicked that link. Thank you very much.

What did it say ... in English?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:23:55 PM »
HAHAHAHA!

Chris Matthews probably started this.  [tinfoil]
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:25:42 PM »
Well, this is sorta more-or-less the crux of it, and if they'd started out with this as a concrete example, I'd have caught on to the concept earlier on in the article:

A commonly reported stimulus for ASMR is the sound of whispering. As evident on YouTube, a variety of videos and audio recordings involve the creator whispering or communicating with a soft-spoken intonation into a camera or sound recording device.[9][10][11][12]

Many role-playing videos and audio recordings also aim to stimulate ASMR. Examples include descriptive sessions, in a style similar to guided imagery, for experiences such as haircuts, visits to a doctor's office, and ear-cleaning. While these make-believe situations are acted out by the creator, viewers and listeners report an ASMR effect that relieves insomnia,[2] anxiety or panic attacks.[9]

The haircut thing made it "click" for me.

I also have that experience when listening to a piano player in the same small room (not a recording thereof, oddly).

I would also get it while walking through the fields and forests and I have described it as "walking in a bubble of joy."  (Or, privately, and don't tell anyone I said this, as "at one with the Universe."  Heh, heh.)

And these ^ examples without any mind-bending chemicals.

But boy, it sure seems to me that the article itself is loaded with grandiose labels and has been highly "high falutinized."

It almost reads like it had been passed through a high level "nonsense generator." After all, sometimes grant review panels make grants on the basis of how complicated a research project sounds.

Sample of nonsense (or gibberish) generator, one among many nonsense generators which can be found on the net:

http://thinkzone.wlonk.com/Gibber/Gibber.htm

Sample of high-level output generated by the above with the root text of Hamlet's famous soliloquy:

To be, or to say we have, the proud man's contumely, the proud makes us rathere's that dream: ay, them? To be will, and the himself might his regard them? To die, the pangs and love, them? To die, the insolence to be wish'd. To die, the law's delay, the under a weary life, but the pale cast of great pith a bare bourn no more; and lose the law's delay, them?

A little trimming and editing here and there by a human operator might make it almost indistinguishable from "real" text without close reading.

Kinda makes me wonder if the wiki article were posted on 01 Apr 201X.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:45:48 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.