Author Topic: Cold War II  (Read 703 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Cold War II
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Cold War II
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »
No.

Our social spending/welfare/entitlements is going to do that for us.

But the new Cold War with China and semi-resurgent Russia will be expensive and uncomfortable.

Although right now, the main drivers aren't really that ideological. China feels it needs regional Asian/Pacific domination to try and suppress or cover up its internal structural and demographic problems. 1st world Urban/3rd world Rural dichotomy, excess male population, the real-estate bubble, (i.e. whole empty cities,) and artificial suppression of the Yuan, and places like India and eventually even Africa doing to China with cheap labor/manufacturing boom what China did to the West.

I think Putin does have ideas about the glory days of the Soviet Union, and would like to bolt on some more parts to Russia, OTOH I think it's mainly that he's got (or had..) long term approval rating/popularity issues, and war/annexations, or just international crises will cement his base and cause Russians to rally around him in opposition to the outside world.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2014/03-overflow/20140320_puti1.png

You can see here what the Crimean/Ukrainian invasion did for his numbers.

What remains to be seen is if he needs to actually try and go after the rest of the Ukraine, Poland, the Baltics, and Finland to keep up approval ratings, or if merely posturing like he might will be sufficient.
I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 07:59:37 PM »
The Cold War never really ended. A little shifting of players and positions and a few "rules" modifications but it never actually ended.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 09:16:46 PM »
The Cold War never really ended. A little shifting of players and positions and a few "rules" modifications but it never actually ended.

a half time show
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I