Author Topic: Super Planet Crash  (Read 1305 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Super Planet Crash
« on: April 10, 2014, 02:38:59 PM »
About:
http://phys.org/news/2014-04-orbital-physics-child-super-planet.html

game:
http://www.stefanom.org/spc/

So much for getting something done for the next hour or so ...
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Super Planet Crash
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »
damn you.

Chris

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 03:04:31 PM »
Pretty much used up all the available space.  Getting them in phase was the trick.

12 / 12 bodies
Crowdedness bonus: 1.0x
Habitability bonus: 6.0x
Central star: 1.0x
Speed: 8x
Planet 1 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 2 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 3 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 4 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 5 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 6 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 7 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 8 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 9 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 10 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 11 [1.00 Mearth

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 03:12:59 PM »
Hmm. It appears I'd better not mash the link until after I get home. Unless you guys give me permission to waste your tax dollars and play it on the clock.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 03:25:52 PM »
http://universesandbox.com/ is a fun one along similar lines, though the physics are much more accurately and intricately simulated and is in 3D, and also requires an install. Not sure what features the free version of it is lacking as I bought the "premium" one when it was on sale on Steam for ridiculously cheap.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »
Pretty much used up all the available space.  Getting them in phase was the trick.

12 / 12 bodies
Crowdedness bonus: 1.0x
Habitability bonus: 6.0x
Central star: 1.0x
Speed: 8x
Planet 1 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 2 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 3 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 4 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 5 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 6 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 7 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 8 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 9 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 10 [1.00 Mearth]
Planet 11 [1.00 Mearth

stay safe.

The tricky part is adding a 2nd star and maybe a giant planet and getting it stable.
"It's good, though..."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 03:37:07 PM »
Hmm. It appears I'd better not mash the link until after I get home. Unless you guys give me permission to waste your tax dollars and play it on the clock.  =D

Yer already wasting taxpayer dollars asking us if it's OK to waste taxpayer dollars!!! :P
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 03:41:21 PM »
Yer already wasting taxpayer dollars asking us if it's OK to waste taxpayer dollars!!! :P

Hey, I'm multitasking! :P
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 10:04:01 PM »
Where is the Kaboom?  I was expecting an earth shattering KaBoom?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 10:14:37 PM »
Where is the Kaboom?  I was expecting an earth shattering KaBoom?

You have to add the relativistic weapon patch, then you can get earth shattering KaBooms.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 12:09:45 AM »
Adding a white dwarf in close to your main star seems to be a good way to fling your planets completely out of the system....
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 12:53:20 AM »
500 years, 22,436,906 points.   

Secret is to get one with "earth" in the habitable zone, then plop a white dwarf right next to the Sun.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 08:30:13 AM »
500 years, 22,436,906 points.   

Secret is to get one with "earth" in the habitable zone, then plop a white dwarf right next to the Sun.

Or a really tight habitable zone, and then put a WD  way far away.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »
Adding a white dwarf in close to your main star seems to be a good way to fling your planets completely out of the system....
I thought that was the point of the game, but it always ends for some reason.  ALso need to see the sun start to wobble into an orbit after you drop a white dwarf in close.

IMO, many of those planets are impacting and should break up instead of reaching light speed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »
I thought that was the point of the game, but it always ends for some reason.  ALso need to see the sun start to wobble into an orbit after you drop a white dwarf in close.

IMO, many of those planets are impacting and should break up instead of reaching light speed

Wut?  :rofl:

Do you just mean being gravitational slingshot ejected and leaving the arbitrary 2AU limit of the simulation?  2AU just a bit bigger than Mars' orbit, out to the inner boundary (as much as it has one) of the Asteroid Belt in our Solar System.

Also, I think the actual planets in terms of the underlying math are to scale in the simulation, and are just big and fat for visibility for our benefit. To scale, they'd be less than one pixel dots for the Earth mass ones, and the gas giant mass ones would be just 3-4 pixels wide, and the central star maybe the size of the earth mass size dot... well, even that would be too big unless it was a red or blue giant.

So the planets actually colliding would be very rare. Near-misses and gravitational slingshot ejections are more common statistically.

http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 10:45:57 PM »
Well, two AU in a couple seconds.  That is something like 188,000,000 miles.  I guess the time speed ofmthe simulation is a bit fast for speed of light.  Still pretty fast.