Author Topic: Crap! I Missed All the Profit!  (Read 4791 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Crap! I Missed All the Profit!
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:16:49 PM »
On my '71 Mustang Mach 1 from High School. I sold it when I was around 21 for $1500. Now apparently worth $25K, or more, since I had the 351 Cleveland. Ah well, you win some, you lose some. My sister had the 64 1/2 that was her High School car. I think she sold hers for less than I sold mine.

“Mach I” was one of the more audacious names of the Pony Car era, however in actual fact, its top speed was a bit shy of the speed of sound. But it had pumped up good looks and none other than Sean Connery as James Bond drove a ’71 Mach 1 in the movie “Diamonds are Forever.” As usual, the biggest engine version has sailed past affordability, but the 302 V-8 Mach I can still be had for around $25,000 if you look hard enough.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/04/18/5-classic-ford-mustangs-can-still-afford/?intcmp=features
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Crap! I Missed All the Profit!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 10:23:57 PM »
I past up buying a 71 or 72 Mustang for $200 30 years ago only because the rear shock mounts were busted off for some reason.  Listened to my dad. :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 10:26:17 PM »
My sister had the 64 1/2 that was her High School car. I think she sold hers for less than I sold mine.

A buddy of mine had a 64 1/2, back in the late 70s early 80s.  I think it had a 200 CI straight six.  I could have had it, but I couldn't get him below $100.  So, he took it from Ill-i-noise to Texass for a job.  It failed a couple  hundred miles from his destination, so he traded it and his Raleigh 3 speed for a bus ticket.

Alas.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 10:27:03 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 11:08:39 PM »
Dad had a GTO...and totaled it...DUI...

Fortunately he still has the 69 Firebird he brought afterwards. I need to restore it.

Some of the rarer edition muscle cars from back then are worth some serious moolah apparently.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 12:52:32 AM »
My dad had a Shelby Cobra offered to him for 6K, but in the late 60s that was some serious scratch.  :'( He did have a 40 Cadillac that was by all accounts quite nice. Gave it to his brother, ending only as it could for all things mechanical entrusted to his "care."  :facepalm:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 01:51:35 AM »
I had a '65 GTO, blue with a white convertible top and white bucket interior. Hurst 4-speed with four barrel carbs. It was in good shape when I sold it for $500 in 1971 or so. Now I see restored ones going for $40,000 all the way up to $230,000.

I put a $1 deposit on a one year-old Jaguar XKE that needed a new starter. The dealer was asking $1000.  It was in fine shape. I was in school, though, and didn't have the money. 12 years later I'd buy a rust bucket of the same year for $5000, and spend 4 years and $12,000 in materials to restore it.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 07:16:11 AM »
The money was worth more back then, though.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 08:10:04 AM »
The reason the muscle cars are worth so much is because we were busy wrecking them back then.
There's a guy about my age who's dad and uncle owned a car dealership around here. He supposedly has a 69 gto "Judge" in showroom original condition with a couple thousand miles on the ody. He turned down $55k 15 years ago.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 08:24:42 AM »
I predict the prices will plummet once the people who grew up with those cars and their kids are gone.  I'm 40 and probably among the younger crowd that would be interested in a classic muscle car. 

It's mostly driven by nostalgia, not by any inherent quality or capability.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 08:39:28 AM »
I predict the prices will plummet once the people who grew up with those cars and their kids are gone.  I'm 40 and probably among the younger crowd that would be interested in a classic muscle car.  

Chris

I don't think my 69 Daytona Charger will drop in price, but I might be able to afford a 68 Satellite in ten years. My first car was a 68 Plymouth Satellite with a 383/4 speed, way too much care for a 16 year old boy. I didn't wreck it but I can close many times taking curves at twice the posted curve speed limit. ~325hp in a car that weights 3200#.

Mine looked like this but with a black vinyl top

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:45:31 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 10:03:57 AM »
Ahhh, if only...

1971 with a 351C/C4, Grande Trim, and the optional front disc brakes. 

You will also note I am sporting the ever fashionable blue-polyester-pant/self-darkening glasses combination, which sets off the lines of the car nicely.

Brad

(It may verge on heresy with Pony Car fanatics, but I don't like the 71-73 fastback body style.  I think it looks bloated and unbalanced.  I much prefer the standard body style from those years.)

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

wmenorr67

• friend
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 10:56:04 AM »
I predict the prices will plummet once the people who grew up with those cars and their kids are gone.  I'm 40 and probably among the younger crowd that would be interested in a classic muscle car. 

Chris

The value of cars as collectibles depends upon the year of the car and the age of the buyer. Most guys buying collector cars are in their peak earning years, and want the cars they desired when they were young. Certain models of muscle cars will always be collectible and desirable and expensive, just as the Cord's and Auburn's are still desirable and collectible today.

It's hard to know which cars that appealed to the under-40 generation will be collectible tomorrow. If you knew, you could just buy them now while they're relatively  cheap.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 11:51:50 AM »
while it may not have same following as the mustang, i do miss my '74 chevy nova ss.  it was an arizona car done in orange with the wide black rally stripes.  the 350 was more engine than it needed, and i would keep 4 bags of sand in the trunk to keep the tires on the road.  i traded it for a crappy work van......... :facepalm:
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 12:53:29 PM »
On my '71 Mustang Mach 1 from High School. I sold it when I was around 21 for $1500. Now apparently worth $25K, or more, since I had the 351 Cleveland. Ah well, you win some, you lose some. My sister had the 64 1/2 that was her High School car. I think she sold hers for less than I sold mine.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/04/18/5-classic-ford-mustangs-can-still-afford/?intcmp=features

Welllllll, that's sorta the upper end of the price range for the Cleveland cars. A nice, "driver" condition Cleveland car will trade in the mid teens, falling precipitously as the condition roughens. Above those, but still in range of mere mortals are the 429 cars and the Boss 351's above that. Both those trade in the $40-60K range. Which sounds like a lot but consider what other low-production top-option cars like Hemi Cuda's trade for and you get an idea of how far down the pecking order the 1-2-3's are.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 01:00:17 PM »
It's hard to know which cars that appealed to the under-40 generation will be collectible tomorrow. If you knew, you could just buy them now while they're relatively  cheap.

Probably some of the Japanese sports cars and the few American 2 door cars. I can also see the Dodge Charger and Challenger being popular 20 years from now.

Impala SS from the 1990's, Mustang GTs, IROC Camaro, etc
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »
Somehow I don't think a beat ass hatchback civic with a fart muffler is going to ever command the prices of the classic muscle cars.

Just a guess.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 05:40:31 PM »
Somehow I don't think a beat ass hatchback civic with a fart muffler is going to ever command the prices of the classic muscle cars.

Just a guess.

That isn't what Charby meant by "Japanese sports car".   ;/

Try Toyota Supra, Acura NSX, etc.

Chris

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »
That isn't what Charby meant by "Japanese sports car".   ;/

Try Toyota Supra, Acura NSX, etc.

Chris
wasnt speaking directly to Charbys comment  ;/
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
A few years ago I picked up an adult driven mint 2004 Daimler Crossfire coup at a reasonable price. I thought it was pretty cool and would soon level off and start to appreciate.
so far, that hasn't happened. Just keeps going down slowly which is a shame, German Mercedes with typical quality build. fun to drive, like a go-kart on steroids.
We drove it 400 miles in the last 2 years. It sits in a climate controlled garage with 23k miles on the odey. I told wife we should either sell it and forget it or drive it whenever we feel like it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 08:47:49 PM »
Impala SS from the 1990's, Mustang GTs, IROC Camaro, etc

Back around 1992, some auto writers were prognosticating that the '92 Mustang convertible would become a collectible classic, as it was the last year of a popular body style and engine. I haven't seen a sign of that, though.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 08:53:18 PM »
I'm just waiting for POS 1993 Ford F-150's to appreciate in value.  If not them then 2005 Dodge Caravans or 2001 Kawasaki 750 Vulcans. :rofl: :facepalm:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 09:06:41 PM »
Back around 1992, some auto writers were prognosticating that the '92 Mustang convertible would become a collectible classic, as it was the last year of a popular body style and engine. I haven't seen a sign of that, though.

I like the look and size of a fox body mustang.  I'd love to have one with an absolutely overbuilt V8. :D

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 09:23:24 PM »
I like the look and size of a fox body mustang.  I'd love to have one with an absolutely overbuilt V8. :D

Chris

Fox body 460 conversion kit. 460 punched 0.030 over with a Scat 4.30 stroker crank and some FPP SCJ 2.0 (Kaase redesign) heads.  600 ft-lb torque. Close to 700 hp. And it all fits under the hood.  ;)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB