Author Topic: Society as an OS analogy  (Read 579 times)

birdman

• friend
Society as an OS analogy
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:30:39 AM »
So I was having a good convo with a really smart friend of mine yesterday, and he asked me why I think our society is going to collapse.

My statement was that a society is like a basic OS for a group, and they rely on individuals having some basic level of "kernel" functions.
However, our society has become specialized to a heinleinian insectoid level, basically our OS is java...not a real OS, as we have abstracted the low level stuff to specialized providers to such an extent where self-reliance, in general, is effectively impossible for the mass population.

The "make a pencil" argument, but its taken to almost all things.  Almost regardless of skill set, the vast majority of people don't know, don't care, and don't want to know how anything works (Java) and just want their interface defined (java) so they can pass their inputs/outputs to the daemon that handles that.

Its...sad.

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Society as an OS analogy
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »
Maybe we should outsource the (re)development of society to Microsoft . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »
So, a new government every few years that ISNT what people want?

Kidna sounds like now
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog