Author Topic: Can this possiblly be true?  (Read 4784 times)

DavidScott

Can this possiblly be true?
« on: April 16, 2005, 02:49:24 PM »
An acquaintance of mine who is active in the militant anti-abortion movement claims that the reason Eric Rudolph was allowed to cop a plea bargain and avoid execution is that President Bush plans to pardon him.  She says that Rudolph is a hero, that one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter, and that Bush sees it the same way.  Rudolph will do a few years jail time and Bush will pardon him as his last offical act in office, when he doesn't have to worry about public reaction.  The next President will already have been elected, giving a four-year period for outrage to cool off.

I can't see anybody this side of Lavrenti Beria pardoning Rudolph, but she seems to have the whole thing worked out.  She says it's common knowledge in the hard-core "pro-life" movement.  What do you think?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 03:12:48 PM »
Quote from: DavidScott
An acquaintance of mine who is active in the militant anti-abortion movement claims that the reason Eric Rudolph was allowed to cop a plea bargain and avoid execution is that President Bush plans to pardon him.  She says that Rudolph is a hero, that one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter, and that Bush sees it the same way.  Rudolph will do a few years jail time and Bush will pardon him as his last offical act in office, when he doesn't have to worry about public reaction.  The next President will already have been elected, giving a four-year period for outrage to cool off.

I can't see anybody this side of Lavrenti Beria pardoning Rudolph, but she seems to have the whole thing worked out.  She says it's common knowledge in the hard-core "pro-life" movement.  What do you think?
Hopefully it's just wishful thinking.  If this terrorist (and he is indeed a terrorist) is let off...  He is a murderer and a psychotic loonie.   He was allegedly a member of the "Christian Identity" group, a sect that holds that white Christians are God's chosen people, and that others will be condemned to Hell.   Sound like lovely individuals...

How much damage would a pardon do?  Perhaps some right wing lunatics would see it as a green light to bomb abortion clinics, gay/lesbian meetings, etc.   Maybe not.  Either way, Rudolph does not deserve to breathe free air.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

DigMe

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 04:12:07 PM »
I think she's full of crap.

Personally if she thinks he's a hero then she's a PIECE of crap.  

EDIT: Oh and lest anyone think my comments are politically motivated I'm anti-abortion to the core.

brad cook

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 04:50:44 PM »
I think your friend is way off-base.

Rudolph not only bombed an abortion clinic, but also a nightclub frequented by lesbians and the Olympics in Atlanta.

I do find it strange that he got a plea bargin, however.  He should have gotten the death penalty.  I don't care what his politics or motivation were...he indiscrimently killed/maimed many innocent folks and he deserves the same consideration that he showed them.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 05:14:45 PM »
I do find it strange that he got a plea bargin, however.  He should have gotten the death penalty.
The flimsy-sounding excuse given was that in return for life, he gave up the location of some explosives. I think we, the people have been handed a load of high quality farm fertilizer.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 05:23:39 PM »
Rudolph is one of the poster children for why abortion should be legal.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 05:42:03 PM »
What DigMe said.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 08:38:29 PM »
Only a person stupid enough to believe Rudolf is a hero would be stupid enough to buy a story like that.

The idea that an inti-abortion activist would advocate murder is amusing in its hypocrisy.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 12:45:05 AM »
Given Rudolph's love of the outdoors and loathing of government authority, a lifetime in a maximum-security prison is a much worse punishment than death anyway.  May he live a hundred more years!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Ron

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 07:05:46 AM »
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you cheap!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 07:38:23 AM »
That'll never happen.  I am anti abortion to the core, but  this guy is so far off base.  He is typical of any kind of zealot.  6 X 8 cell and solitary confinement for the rest of his days is justice.

Story is just another hate Bush fantasy.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Justin

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 08:42:14 AM »
Given Rudolph's love of the outdoors and loathing of government authority, a lifetime in a maximum-security prison is a much worse punishment than death anyway.  May he live a hundred more years!
Swell.  I always like footing the bill for trash like this.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 06:13:01 PM »
I just read today that he'll be in the Supermax in Colorado.  I think that's the same one as Unabomber Ted.

Yes, Rudolph will have decades to wish he'd been executed instead.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

armedcitizen

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 04:57:38 AM »
Story is just another hate Bush fantasy

What he said.  It'll never happen.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 05:20:40 AM »
DU propaganda.  Bush may be dumb but he ain't stoopid.  Randolph is a murderer regardless of his christian garb.  The man deserves to be dead.  BTW, I too am pro-life.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 10:43:13 AM »
I do find it strange that he got a plea bargin, however.  He should have gotten the death penalty.
The only time the feds let you cop a plea on something this volatile is when you have information. I'd put good money that Rudolph ratted out a couple of aquaintances or let the feds in on some type of underhanded "bigger picture" schemery.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 11:15:18 AM »
No chance.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 04:25:59 PM »
At roughly $25,000 per year?

The right length of rope would cost less than $15, and could easily be reused hundreds of times.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Anna G.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 01:00:45 AM »
Just to add one more voice to the majority. Smiley I will say I really dislike Bush and this will be a huge understatement. Still, everything that sounds so conveniently anti is most likely propaganda and should be taken with tons of salt to say the least. This applies to both sides.

kfranz

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 07:06:00 AM »
Quote from: DavidScott
She says it's common knowledge in the hard-core "pro-life" movement.  What do you think?
I think "common knowledge" isn't so common, especially amongst hard-core anyone.   Sadly, brains and beliefs are not one in the same....

Chris

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 09:02:50 AM »
With all of the legacy talk, do we really think Bush would pardon a convicted killer?  Nah.  As for the plea bargain, the only thing guaranteed about a jury trial is that it will end eventually.  Don't know all of the evidence they had against this guy.  May have seen weaknesses in the cases we'll never know about, and made the most of a bad case...

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 09:08:13 AM »
Common knowledge? More like a common delusion. Radicals want to believe someone in a position of power is on their side.
D. R. ZINN